WJ receivers dumb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy47

A dumb question, but as I've always wanted a WJ receiver or two and I keep seeing ones from surplus dealers on Ebay and such, is there anyone out there who can keep me from doing something stupid just because I don't know any better?

There are a few UHF receivers out there right now, and one perfect one for $1,800. A repair might be worth more than a good working unit, I realize. If you were new at this game, what would you suggest?

JJ

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You're looking at the Rolls-Royce of radios and like the car repairs don't come cheap either.
"If you were new at this game, what would you suggest?"
If I were new at this game I'd be totally clueless.

Seriously, it all depends on your game, to begin with when you're spending THAT kind of money be very careful who you're dealing with, for one thing eBay has a reputation for selling fool's gold. If you're so new you're starting from the bottom I suggest you start AT the bottom, shooting straight for the top without decompression stops along the way will surely give you the bends.

speedy47

End of thread?

Thanks very much for the reply. It confirmed my lower intestinal feelings on the subject. I'll go about finding a good unit from a good source, maybe even the restorer and/or rebuilder of WJ gear.

If anyone has a few email or snail mail addresses of excellent purveyors of UHF/VHF receivers please let me know either on this thread or radiok6gek at gmail.....

WTCPT

Oh, and I can't personally imagine bothering with one for UHF, you could get something made by AOR I'd think but whaddu I know .... WJ makes some very nice HF receivers.

speedy47

WJ receiver testing items

Thanks for all of you who stepped up to the plate and answered my questions. One nice fellow mentioned that a 50 Megahertz frequency standard is required for out-of-cabinet testing. I was tossing a bunch of microwave equipment into the trash and saw two 50Mhz high stability oscillator modules on some boards. I anyone wants these I'll toss them in a box and snail mail them.

Again, thanks.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of you who stepped up to the plate and answered my questions. One nice fellow mentioned that a 50 Megahertz frequency standard is required for out-of-cabinet testing. I was tossing a bunch of microwave equipment into the trash and saw two 50Mhz high stability oscillator modules on some boards. I anyone wants these I'll toss them in a box and snail mail them.

Again, thanks.

Do you still have these 50 MHz Osc modules? I'm interested if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.