• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

WLN KD-C1 Programming Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC1

I just bought a cheap UHF 16 channel transceiver to be used as a scanner since everything here worth listening to is UHF.
It is a WLN KD-C1 and the manufacturer appears to be Quanzhou Kelly Electronics Co., Ltd., and I can't find the manufacturers website to make an inquiry.

Locating the programming software on the internet has resulted in an exercise in futility. I would think that since these are being sold on eBay, it would be somewhat easy to find.

Does anybody know where to find the programming software?

DickH

I just bought a cheap UHF 16 channel transceiver to be used as a scanner since everything here worth listening to is UHF.
It is a WLN KD-C1 and the manufacturer appears to be Quanzhou Kelly Electronics Co., Ltd., and I can't find the manufacturers website to make an inquiry.

Locating the programming software on the internet has resulted in an exercise in futility. I would think that since these are being sold on eBay, it would be somewhat easy to find.

CHIRP can be used by 80 or so radios. Perhaps yours can use CHIRP. Go to Miklor Information Site, VHF UHF Handheld Radios for info.
I have been looking at many of those radios for the same purpose. I have found two, and there may be others, that have "banks" like older scanners. That makes them much more useful. The Baofeng UV-6 (NOT 6R or B6) and the Baofeng UV-B5 should be OK. I have a UV-6 on order, but I wish I had found the B5 before ordering.
I have a write-up on the UV-6 here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/budget-entry-level-transceivers/333261-baofeng-scanner.html
If at all possible, try to cancel your order and get a Baofeng. It will be well worth while.

NC1

I have a Baofeng, and a Wouxun, and a few scanners. I am looking to have something very small and thin so it can fit in a T-shirt pocket without having so much weight and bulk.

This little WLN is amazingly much smaller, thinner and lighter than my BC-92xlt - and for $17 I really can't expect a lot of bells and whistles for sure. All I need it to do is scan about 5 frequencies while I am out and about. If it breaks or I lose it, who cares? It is a lot better than losing or breaking my Pro-668!

I already have chirp and it does not want to communicate with the unit. I think it might need the software used for those other cheap 16 channel units. If I find anything I will certainly post the information.

I'll check back from time to time and see if anybody knows before I do.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

Check out 409shop's facebook page. They sell this radio and there's mention of the software in one of the posts. It may get you pointed in the right direction.

FWIW, I read over a bunch of their posts. They don't communicate very well and are very vague about a lot of things.

It's a neat looking little radio, but unless the programming cable and software are available, it's not the kind of thing I'd buy.

NC1

I checked out the 409 website before posting here, usually I can decipher their Chenglish and figure out what they mean but the radio is simply not listed yet.

The WLN is new to the market and I know there is software, I just have to find it. They mention it on their Facebook page so I know it's somewhere. I may just have to write them and they can send it as an attachment.

FrankNY

ZASTONE sells the same radio, in both black and white case colors and with the same KD-C1 model number, through Alibaba.

https://zastone.en.alibaba.com/prod..._C1_UHF400_470MHz_portable_walkie_talkie.html

The product description says "PC programmable: Yes", but there's no mention of a download link for the programming software. Also, the KD-C1 isn't listed on the ZASTONE or ZASTONE Tech Web sites.

http://www.zastone.com/

http://zastonetech.com/

I get the feeling that this radio is connected to a PC using an ordinary USB cable, in which case, I would think, a driver, in addition to the programming software, would be required, and I don't see a driver download link either.

Good luck with this!

Regards,

Frank.

SteveSnake

Impressions on WLN KD-C1

ZASTONE sells the same radio, in both black and white case colors and with the same KD-C1 model number, through Alibaba.

https://zastone.en.alibaba.com/prod..._C1_UHF400_470MHz_portable_walkie_talkie.html

The product description says "PC programmable: Yes", but there's no mention of a download link for the programming software. Also, the KD-C1 isn't listed on the ZASTONE or ZASTONE Tech Web sites.

即时通|ZASTONE|对讲机|无线对讲机-即时通ZASTONE对讲机官网-专注对讲机十五年!

ZASTONE Radio Communication Systems - China Walkie Talkie Supplier

I get the feeling that this radio is connected to a PC using an ordinary USB cable, in which case, I would think, a driver, in addition to the programming software, would be required, and I don't see a driver download link either.

Good luck with this!

Regards,

Frank.

I have bought a pair of KD-C1 radios.
Appeared to be a high quality crafted ones - very slim and compact, good durable plastic case, USB or cradle charging, Li-Ion Nokia BL-5C batteries compatible (with small modification), 16-channel programmable via native software (available from Zastone), K-type (Baofeng) port for accessories and programming (not programmable via USB), English annunciation, VOX, Scan, Monitor, accessories included.
Tested transmission range - 2 kilometers (through shrubs and small trees).
Antenna is short and integrated (may be a drawback, but there is almost no chance to break it).
Overall, worth the money for 100%. I'm satisfied and recommend it.

FrankNY

SteveSnake, thanks for posting that. It looks to be exactly what NC1 needs. Hope that he/she sees your post.

As far as the radio itself is concerned, I'd almost buy a pair myself if a) it had slightly higher rated output than 2 watts and b) it supported repeater use. Of course, the lower output rating should translate into better battery life, which is certainly a plus for many users.

Regards,

Frank.

NC1

I wrote the 409 shop for the software and they just listed it this morning in their downloads section. I unzipped it, then installed from there.

The one problem I have is that the com port selection is defaulted to #1, and you can't select another port because it is grayed out. It looks like I may have to reconfigure my ports unless there is a workaround for it.

I have the programming cable with the "good" chip, and a selection of adapter pieces. I had a radio a while back that took a very similar program and was programmed through either the speaker or mic. connector, so I think this is similar.

I forgot to mention that I do have the radio here, I ordered it 12 days ago from China and it showed up Saturday morning. I charged it up, turned it on, and it has been on standby ever since. I would figure it has been 48 hours with no indication that the battery is low as of now.

So, anybody know of a workaround for the com port situation? Or should I just go ahead and change my ports through my configuration menu?

DickH

So, anybody know of a workaround for the com port situation? Or should I just go ahead and change my ports through my configuration menu?

Sounds as if your new "scanner" will work well for you.
Just for future reference how do you reconfigure the COM ports? I am running Windows 7.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Control Panel, Device Manager, Right-click on the Com port, then Advanced tab. As you can see, you can easily reassign any Com Port to any other available number.

p2Txp.png

DickH

Control Panel, Device Manager, Right-click on the Com port, then Advanced tab. As you can see, you can easily reassign any Com Port to any other available number.

p2Txp.png

Great. Thanks Bill.

NC1

Thank you N4GIX for posting that above, it saved me a lot of typing :)

I changed the port and now I have to figure out which connector to use. I'm guessing it is the Mic. connection but I have to wait until I get confirmation.

So far it looks good but I just don't get the time to sit down and figure it out because of all the interruptions lately. Maybe in a day or 2 I might have it done.

NC1

SUCCESS!

I tried a few different cables, and the double pin (Mic & Ear) for my Baofenf UV-B6 works just fine.

I'm running a test on the new frequencies for today to see what else I need to do.

NC1

This little radio is quite a handy and unobtrusive unit for my purposes of just being a scanner.
I can put this in my shirt pocket without having it weigh the shirt down, and the antenna only slightly sticks out the top and is barely noticeable at all.

The quality of the sound was a little unexpected for a unit in this price range, and it can really have some volume when needed without breaking up.

The case does seem rugged and can handle drops without a problem. The instruction booklet is severely lacking in operating instructions.

Two things I had to find out for myself:
1) Press and hold the MINUS (-) button until it beeps, let it go and you are in scan mode, the green LED will blink while in scan mode. To exit scan mode, press and hold the button again and wait for two short beeps, let go and you are no longer scanning.
2) Press and hold the PLUS (+) button, you have now opened up the squelch, let go to close the squelch and go back to your programmed setting.

The battery is lasting quite a long time, but then again, I am not using it to transmit. It appears I will get 48 hours at the very least from a charge on the stock battery.

The software shows I can enter RX and TX frequencies along with the proper tones in each of the 16 channels, along with either low or high power. As for the power output, I don't know for sure, their information only says less than 5 watts.

NC1

I have bought a pair of KD-C1 radios.
Appeared to be a high quality crafted ones - very slim and compact, good durable plastic case, USB or cradle charging, Li-Ion Nokia BL-5C batteries compatible (with small modification), 16-channel programmable via native software (available from Zastone), K-type (Baofeng) port for accessories and programming (not programmable via USB), English annunciation, VOX, Scan, Monitor, accessories included.
Tested transmission range - 2 kilometers (through shrubs and small trees).
Antenna is short and integrated (may be a drawback, but there is almost no chance to break it).
Overall, worth the money for 100%. I'm satisfied and recommend it.

SteveSnake - I am curious about 2 things in your post:

1) What modification would be needed to use the Nokia BL-5C battery?

2) What advantage would there be to using the Nokia battery?
The WLN battery is Li-ion, 3.7v, 1500mAh
The Nokia BL-5C is Li-ion, 3.7v, but it's only 1020mAh?
The BL-5C also includes the information of "3.8wh", but the WLN does not show that info.

I'm not sure what the advantage is other than finding cheap replacement batteries on eBay, or having charged spares on hand when needed.

I know at some point I am going to open this sucker up to see how the antenna is configured, lol.

jakes_tornado

The best bet is going into Alibaba.com, look up the KD-C1 radio and a list of radios will come up. Contact one of the companies and ask them about the software. Keep in mind that the company is located in China, so they don't have perfect English. However, they do type English. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.