• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

WLN KD-C1 VOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if there is a magic combination of keystrokes at powerup that activates/deactivates VOX? I have 8 of these and I think I managed to turn VOX on for one of them... or else there is a PTT button issue.

VOX being on seems more likely to me, and a simpler fix.

I know it is a feature in the software as well, but I programmed 8 of these at once and they were all fine for months... until yesterday when one of them starting keying up all by itself.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Update: found problem and fixed it.

I had reprogrammed 10 of them a few days ago, one right after the other with the same program.

I did a read on this one radio and it said the VOX setting was turned off, even though the VOX had decided to turn itself on.

I assume there was some sort of data transfer error when I programmed it. I reloaded the same program and it now works fine (VOX is now off).

Rick

KD8DVR

Glad you got it fixed:)

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

Hoya

Pressing the up and down channel buttons while turning the power on turns on/off the vox. The voice announcement sounds like "vol on" and "vol off" instead of saying VOX. It took me a while to figure this out and was wondering why the vox setting was sometimes on.
By the way does anyone know what the embedded message feature in the software does with these radios?

Hans13

Pressing the up and down channel buttons while turning the power on turns on/off the vox. The voice announcement sounds like "vol on" and "vol off" instead of saying VOX. It took me a while to figure this out and was wondering why the vox setting was sometimes on.
By the way does anyone know what the embedded message feature in the software does with these radios?

A word of caution... I accidently reset one by holding buttons and powering up. I haven't been able to duplicate it since. The radio was fine though.

The embedded message feature gives you two lines that you can write into the radio memory. We put the serial number on the first line and the user call sign on the second. It's anything you want really.

Something I noted in another thread, if you power on while holding down on PTT and +, it goes into a test mode (?) where it leaves squelch open and turns vox on and off at regular intervals.

Hans13

I just checked the power up and +/- buttons, mine locks onto current channel until you turn the radio off and back on again. It doesn't seem to turn on VOX on our radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.