WLO Shipcom has gone dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From their Facebook page, and echoed in several places since...;
==========================
Sad announcement:
It's the end of an era.....after 71 years, WLO will go off the air at 11:59CDT (0459UTC) on 01July2018. A few automated systems/services will continue but there will no longer be 24/7 operators on duty at the Mobile, AL stations.
Thank you everyone that liked and commented on this page. I will keep the page up for a while longer.

Leigh (KC4MZT)- Radio/telephone operator, admin
==========================
I can remember decoding their SITOR-B broadcasts before Shipcom bought them out - used to be an easy catch and a regular visitor to my shack. Very sad to see this go

Mike

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Same here,liked to copy their RTTY and Sitor B messages. It was fun while it lasted.

intuity

... Just about two weeks ago, I finally got my multi-band fan dipole back up in the air after Harvey's winds tore it down, and with the new insulators and balun, so much more came back to life.

I had only heard WLO's RTTY and SITOR-B transmissions irregularly over the 3 years or so of SWLing, but over the last two weeks, I had been able to copy both modes coming in strong on 8473 khz nearly 24 hours a day. I have to admit, I was getting a little bit addicted to waking up in the morning and reading through the logged message copy overnight, but at least I can still copy USCG SITOR-B (as well as WEFAX) from Pt. Reyes loud and clear :D

I can't recall ever hearing any ship-to-shore radiotelephone calls coming inbound to WLO, or anyone calling WLO, for that matter, really - and I have spent weeks on end of nights listening... I would venture a guess as to why WLO ended their non-automated services being the results of that observation.

To be hand-picked and given the keys to the kingdom, so to speak - which is exactly what AT&T did when they handed Shipcom the reins of their HF radiotelephone operations (in essence, that is) must have made the owners proud - so I suppose the fact that they survived the apparent usefulness of the technology's lifespan instead of failing outright for some other reason should garner them appreciation and gratitude for their service as the era ends.

w2dsx

Premium Subscriber
The webpage was updated today (July 7) but no changes were made. What a shame! I was afraid of something like this after the passing of Rene K4EDX (sk), who was a driving force in keeping the station going. One of the last great stations, I'll miss it too!

w2dsx

Premium Subscriber
No sooner had I posted the above, Shipcom took down their page and just left "Coming Back Soon". I'd edit the above but can't find the edit button - good dxing!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Someone on the UDXF group said that he talked to one of the operators at WLO that had been let go, so I guess with the web page being taken down, to quote a famous cartoon...That's all, folks!

Mike

D

DaveNF2G

So should we be deleting the WLO frequencies from our lists and radio memories, or is something still going to be there?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
According to the announcement (see the first message), some automated stuff will go on - you be the judge

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
merged thread from utility forum since WLO was well known for its DSC service, as well as their USB weather - please carry on...Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.