Wohler VMQ-4 for audio?

N8SHA

This is me!
Anybody out there have experience out there using a Wohler VMQ-4 for monitoring audio from scanners / radios?
VMQ-4_o.png

A previous thread on Zetron Model 27 Recevier Monitor shows a console using a couple of these. The documentation for the device shows that it has either ">100 kOhms balanced; >50 kOhms unbalanced" inputs.

My electronics knowledge is pretty sketchy these days - what would the results be for feeding a radio's speaker output that is typically in 4-8 ohm range into one of these? Could I risk damaging either device?

Matt

a417

Anybody out there have experience out there using a Wohler VMQ-4 for monitoring audio from scanners / radios?
VMQ-4_o.png

A previous thread on Zetron Model 27 Recevier Monitor shows a console using a couple of these. The documentation for the device shows that it has either ">100 kOhms balanced; >50 kOhms unbalanced" inputs.

My electronics knowledge is pretty sketchy these days - what would the results be for feeding a radio's speaker output that is typically in 4-8 ohm range into one of these? Could I risk damaging either device?

Matt
What you're asking about is impedance matching of devices, and what will happen when you have a mismatch between the two. I am terrible at it, but there are people here who are savants regarding this. Hopefully someone with much more knowledge than I, will chime in.

I am glad that device will behave nicely with all the CRT monitors that I used to have 20 years ago...:)

wholer.png
Judging by this, right out of the manual online, I would say that this device would be slightly off-label in terms of listening to radios, but if you impedance matched thru transformers for each output - and stayed within tolerance of the units, you might be ok.

prcguy

The Wohler speaker/amps are very good, I've used them extensively in the broadcast industry. They are usually low level balanced input and you would have to make an interface to a scanner speaker output.

Last edited: