Wonder if Siren App was submitted last week

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd119

Well depends when you measure the market share. The Cnet report was before the iPhone6 came out. Apple has sold more than 40 million phones in the US last month when the iPhone 6 came out.

I will admit that it is neck and neck between the two OSs in the US but when you think that one company "Apple" has sold more than 600 million iPhones since the initial release it is absolutely astounding.

Selling phones have nothing to do with market share. If someone buys an iPhone 6 and trades in their iPhone 5, the market share remains unchanged. If someone trades an Android in for an iPhone, then it changes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. An android app is far quicker to get out than an iOS app. I could get an Android app in the makert very quickly (and have done so in the past). All I see here in this thread is speculation. We don't know if this thing was submitted or not. We won't know.

wise871

Database Admin
Basically what it comes down to is the Wi-Fi dongle. Unless that gets resolved you can't program any app to take advantage of it's capabilities. Once that is resolved it should only be a short period before an android app is made available. And iOS app will take a little bit longer due to Apple's approval process.

As others with developer access have stated, nothing has been submitted so that should give you an idea on the status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
I think durangoGreg touched on what I touched on. There is multiple devices that have some sort of flavor of Android but, not all of them have the capability to download everything from the Android market.Where with Apple, all the apps are tailored to all their mobile devices which isn't as strung out like Androids are. Therefore it construes those market share numbers. You have to actually break it down by device to see the real picture because of this. So if you look at just smartphones. Then iPhone leads in the market share when it comes to this compared to Samsungs popular smart phone. This isn't an argument of which is better. Just stating there is more iPhones than there is other smartphones when you break it down. Also Android is more affordable and can be found on a dozen or more devices to even pre-paid go phones. I have a camera, printer and a inherited tablet that runs Android but, none of them can download the same apps. So those devices milky the numbers for "mobile" devices when it come to market share. So when you combine all the Android devices as a whole then it makes the "mobile" market share numbers look more impressive but, not all of them are the same. Apple holds the market share when it comes to smartphone vs smartphone and tablet vs tablet and those are the numbers you have to look at as iOS only comes on two devices vs multiple that Android comes on.

An Apple app can be made just as fast as an Android app. Only difference is Apple has QC where Android doesn't and not every Android device can run every app as I mentioned. Again, it is about quality, not quantity. I think more people would be upset if they got an Android app and it crashed there phone at this point or they were the beta tester which is mainly what you get when you download an Android app. You download them at your own risk and it even states that in the Android Market.

At this point, Uniden has not submitted this to Apple. I know this for a fact because as an Apple app developer it shows new submitted apps in the developer console and I have not seen anything called "Siren" been submitted.

mrkelso

Office of Consumer Protection
Welcome to the Web site of the Office of Consumer Protection.

The Office of Consumer Protection (OCP) is the primary investigative section for consumer complaints. The main responsibility of the OCP is to enforce the Consumer Fraud Act and its regulations.

Additionally, the Office of Consumer Protection operates the Consumer Service Center, which is the central clearinghouse for consumer complaints and referrals. It also serves as the liaison between the state, county and municipal Consumer Affairs offices. For assistance filing a complaint, or to check on the complaint history of a business, call the Consumer Service Center at (973) 504-6200. A trained representative will be happy to assist you.

NJ residents.

mrkelso

Texas Attorney General's
Consumer Protection Hotline:
(800) 621-0508
Regional Offices

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
My brother submitted an app to Apple and Android two months ago and its still not approved. The reason given- too many app submissions, copyright checks and too many devices to check.

sfd119

The last time I submitted an app to the Google Play store, it just uploaded and went right away. No checks needed. Apple is a different story.

PhillyPhoto

Is this really surprising? Uniden's BBB rating is an F

Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that lowered Uniden America Corporation's rating include:

53 complaints filed against business
Failure to respond to 21 complaints filed against business.
3 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.
BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating.
BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made two or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business.
BBB does not have sufficient information to determine size of business. BBB evaluation of business is based on rating formula's smallest size classification.

VE3RADIO

Don Star has now released an Android app that allows you to control and stream your GRE scanner from anywhere that you have internet!! What are the odds! Amazing.. I am going to be picking up a GRE600 from a guy I know who has lots of old stock.. I bought the 536 the day it came out so I could stream my local stuff to my work.. (some of the channels I would not be able to stream via RR.com - tac and stuff.. )

EDCScanner

Banned
No one needs this Uniden app to stream and control their radio. This can been done now with ProScan/Radio Feed. I have been doing it for years now and works great. There is also apps that allow you to enter any URL which in this case would be your external IP with port number and you can listen to your private feed anywhere in the world. Enter that same IP in a web browser or mobile web browser and you can control it too, even the 536.

defrogme

Premium Subscriber
No one needs this Uniden app to stream and control their radio. This can been done now with ProScan/Radio Feed. I have been doing it for years now and works great. There is also apps that allow you to enter any URL which in this case would be your external IP with port number and you can listen to your private feed anywhere in the world. Enter that same IP in a web browser or mobile web browser and you can control it too, even the 536.

Control with your smartphone?? Do tell! Unless I am unaware, there is no way to control the scanner via the web interface.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Control with your smartphone?? Do tell! Unless I am unaware, there is no way to control the scanner via the web interface.

My ProScan Web Server feature serves the virtual display and keypad along with audio so yes it does have remote control capability on any smart phone. Chrome is the recommended browser. My free RadioFeed Web Server only does remote monitoring on any smart phone.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Maybe Uniden should pay the $50.00 licensing fee to ProScan for everyone that bought a 536.

Let's see...$600 for a scanner that does not perform all functions as advertised.

Now $50.00 for software to possibly allow you to do with your 536 what Uniden promised.

Works for me.....It's only money after all.

Maybe Uniden should hire Bob at Proscan!

PhillyPhoto

Maybe Uniden should pay the $50.00 licensing fee to ProScan for everyone that bought a 536.

Let's see...$600 for a scanner that does not perform all functions as advertised.

Now $50.00 for software to possibly allow you to do with your 536 what Uniden promised.

Works for me.....It's only money after all.

Maybe Uniden should hire Bob at Proscan!

Needing a computer vs not is a big difference. So not only did you spend $600 on the scanner, now you're powering a computer 24/7 as well.

SCPD

QRT
I just hope all of you who bought these two new "FLAGSHIP SCANNERS" get what you paid for. This is getting so old and beaten to death. Come on Uniden, step up to the plate, let the owners know, that's the least you can do.

EDCScanner

Banned
Needing a computer vs not is a big difference. So not only did you spend $600 on the scanner, now you're powering a computer 24/7 as well.

You plan on powering your scanner 24/7?

This can be run on a very low power $35 raspberry Pi as well. Bob has a great piece of software and offers a free trial for this as well.

Here is a working example. Of course I have it password protected so you won't be able to listen or control it but, it is possible from any browser or mobile browser. Then with the Action Scanner App you can take your feed URL and create a custom feed in the app to your feed. This isn't nothing new and it is what Bob has done which has me scratching my head why it is so hard for Uniden to get this done when it's already been done.

http://feed.edcscanner.com:5020/

There is also many ways you can control it from your local desktop as well. I have attached a small screen shot of it running one of my 996XT and one of 536HP and it works with numerous scanners. I pretty much gave up on Uniden because what it is claiming it can do you can do now.

Attachments

• proscan_example.jpg
    proscan_example.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 629

durangoGreg

While it is nice to know that there are other options for streaming online, this is not the same thing at all.

For instance how would I mount my 536 scanner in my truck under the back seat and use my iPhone as a remote head with this setup. It isn't possible.

With the uniden app, supposedly I can set the scanner to adhoc wifi mode, connect to it with my iPhone and have full control as well as audio out. This allows me to blutooth to truck stereo system and output to my speakers with full tone control.

Status
Not open for further replies.