Wonder if....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-ball

Just kicking around the thought of if UMPd(56pd) will ever get off their encrypted system and be monitorable like the majority of montgomery county is....i cant really see why they choose to be encrypted, we really dont have much crime at all and i highly doubt that even if it was able to be monitored, that an influx in criminal activity would take place. I can see why 94pd encrypts, but Upper merion?....being a life long resident, and NEVER a victim of crime, i still cant figure out the need. And unfortunately, i cant see them ever coming off of it.....oh well..

brkfst524

I know this thread is a little old but Q seriously?! are you that naive? 1) the radio is encrypted for Officer Safety as well as keeping the "bad guys" from knowing when and where the police are at all times. This is an expensive luxury that most departments cannot afford and frankly I wish more could. Not everyone is as honest as you or I and listen to a scanner for informational or employment purposes. 2) While I am glad to hear you have never been a victim of a crime understand this.. just because you don't see it and have not experienced it does not mean "we don't have much crime". Upper Merion PD is one of the busiest and in the county. For example to date in 2009 there have been 1,102 ARRESTS for UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting) crimes in UPPER MERION such as Robbery, Rape, Burglary, Arson, Theft, DUI, Drugs, Prostitution, Public Drunk, Disorderly Conduct etc. The Plaza alone is a retail theft mecca... My point is please do not be lulled into thinking that crime cannot or does not happen because that is how bad things happen to good people.

Steveradio

We operate Public Safety for a private community in the Pocono area and use encyrption radios for the fact of transmitting private information over the radio. The system is pretty impressive and my thoughts too was why here but many, many of those citizens listen and for the purposes of securityit was a concern since Nextel and phone service in general was about 85% coverage in the community.

I do see its pros and cons but of using the system and being in the field could mean your safety now a days.

I am a scanner world listner and have been for a long time.. However depends on where you are the information you hear is getting less and less any more. Lets see what happens in the future and hopefully we can afford to buy what ever they come up with to monitor it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.