BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Wont hold on System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartinfan

Banned
Not exactly sure how to explain this odd issue. So bear with me....

I have 9 systems 0-5 #6 (blank) then 7,8,9

My 436 will scan 0-5 then not scan ,7 or 8 then will sometimes scan 9.

Then if I do a hold on the system the scanner will go through systems 1-5 totally miss 7,8,9 then go right back to system 1. If I hold and go down, it will then see system 9 and still skip 7 and 8.

All of the systems are set up in Butel and Sential software the exact same ways.

So anyone have ideas on this?>?>?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
3. How many channels are in those skipped systems?
4. Are the systems conventional or trunked?

mmartinfan

Banned
First things that come to mind for me:

1. do you have location control enabled?

2. do you have all service types enabled?

Don't think so.

Yes all service types are open

3. How many channels are in those skipped systems?
4. Are the systems conventional or trunked?

Its the entire State of Ohio MARCS P25 system
Its P25 700/800 trunked.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If it is the entire Ohio MARCS system, you should probably enable location control and put in your location. Otherwise, the scanner will attempt to scan every site in that system (many, many sites) and you will have trouble catching any call, as the scanner will spend too much time on unreceivable sites.

mmartinfan

Banned
If it is the entire Ohio MARCS system, you should probably enable location control and put in your location. Otherwise, the scanner will attempt to scan every site in that system (many, many sites) and you will have trouble catching any call, as the scanner will spend too much time on unreceivable sites.

Only 3 sites are unlocked. Here in the Columbus area. If I travel to a different area of the state I unlock them as I go along.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The file that you have shared is a Favorites List created I think, with ARC. In that Favorites List, there is only 1 System, which is the MARCS System. In that system you have a number of sites and a number of departments.

So I cannot see the condition you describe in your original post as there is only one system there.

It would appear that the way you are "doing things" is that you have set a given Department Quick Key for each county. That Department Quick Key toggles the site for the given county along with the "cluster" (technically called department) of talkgroups for that county. Thus as you travel into a given county, you toggle the DQK for the new county on, the the one for the old county off?

Is there a reason you prefer not using Location Control and let the scanner turn things on and off?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Only 3 sites are unlocked. Here in the Columbus area. If I travel to a different area of the state I unlock them as I go along.

That's a totally stupid way to program the scanner. The whole point of GPS-based location control is for the scanner to switch local sites and channels on automatically when traveling. If try to you do things manually, you will screw it up, not to mention the distracted driving issue when fiddling with the scanner keyboard while driving.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's a totally stupid way to program the scanner. The whole point of GPS-based location control is for the scanner to switch local sites and channels on automatically when traveling. If try to you do things manually, you will screw it up, not to mention the distracted driving issue when fiddling with the scanner keyboard while driving.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. GPS devices are made for doing as you described, but not everyone can afford one. Perhaps re-entering the appropriate zip code for a new area may be a workable alternative to a GPS device.

However, as long as a person has really taken the time and thought out the system, Quick Keys are a novel and effective way of dealing with changing locations.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I did quick keys for several year with an 870/780 what ever it was:) as well as a 996. Now it was similar to the op's use, just less trunked. But I could easily .xx to a qk. I had several set up by counties (actually Ohio county numbers 1-88, and some above 88 for other uses). Back them GPS was either na or difficult to program.

Can't say I'd due it today... but I was younger, quicker and better eyesight. For all we know the OP is per-selecting or not even mobile.

I also ran HP'2 for a few years by using a phone to find the zip entering, not the best either - but had a co-pilot.

I now use GPS mobile, fav list for 1/4 of Ohio - full DB elsewhere.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The GPS receivers aren't free, but well worth their cost when you factor in not having to play with the scanner keyboard while driving.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It isn't that there is no way to fix it. I don't think anyone understands how it is actually programmed, as what you describe should work (albeit more clunkily than some would prefer for themselves).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the favorite list is turned off with a Quick Key, or the system has been disabled by Location Control, or the channel's Service Type is turned off, no.

If you've manually avoided the system, yes, as long as the system is in Location Control range, the Quick Key is active, and the channel's Service Type is active.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Zip all the files on your SD card into one file and post that file.

If this were a Uniden issue, I'd expect to see dozens of people with the same problem.

mmartinfan

Banned
Zip all the files on your SD card into one file and post that file.

If this were a Uniden issue, I'd expect to see dozens of people with the same problem.

Love to do that, but I have a MAC that hardly works as is (which is another thread in a different topic) I havent zipped a file for ever. My windows side is a bare bones Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.