WS1095: Won't power on with adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Hello all ~ Has anyone had a problem with the 1095 not powering on when using the ac adapter...? Can the plug go bad? I've tried wiggling the ends etc. to no avail. I even tried the pro197 plug as well and that didn't work.

I've never had a problem until today when I attempted to use the unit at home and it won't turn on. The unit works just fine in the car. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the removable face/connection, seeing as I use the ethernet cable with the mobile setup.

Any help/thoughts appreciated ~ Thank you.

jim202

First thing I would do is to take a volt meter to the where you had it last operational and check to see if the center pin of the power source is positive. Then go to to your AC adapter your trying to use and see if it matches your original measurement. Some AC adapters have the center pin be negative. Also make sure you have the correct DC voltage on the AC adapter and a high enough current rating to run the 1095.

Do your homework and then come back here and let us know what you found.

Jim

a417

U+0000
Can the plug go bad? I've tried wiggling the ends etc. to no avail.
Yes, wall warts are usually the cheapest ones they can get for a price point, so they don't last for ever. As @jim202 said, make sure the one you are plugging in to in the house actually works.

AuntEnvy

Thanks for the replies guys... the plug worked fine before. This is the original plug that came with it and I've used it plenty since I got this unit a few years ago. The plug hasn't been mistreated or damaged in any way. And since it still works with the original DC adapter in the car just fine, I have to presume the neg-pos pin situation isn't the issue, unless I'm not following what you're saying that is..

I'll have to see see if it's the face plate/removable head plugin when I get my car back from the shop, as the ethernet/remote head cable is still in it. And I will definitely report back on that. I'm not sure how or why that connection would go bad but it's certainly possible...

Thanks again.

JustLou

I had the power supply on my TRX-2 go bad after only a few months. It happens.

CycleSycho

o_O Hello? You were asked if the voltages were present. Test those voltages and see if there is something wrong with the power going to the device. If you have that correct power, then we can move on to something else knowing that a voltage (power) issue is eliminated as the source of the problem. Assuming something helps no one help troubleshoot. Make sure! o_O

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

o_O Hello? You were asked if the voltages were present. Test those voltages and see if there is something wrong with the power going to the device. If you have that correct power, then we can move on to something else knowing that a voltage (power) issue is eliminated as the source of the problem. Assuming something helps no one help troubleshoot. Make sure! o_O

It could have good voltage and not enough current which still makes it a bad power adapter.

AuntEnvy

see if it works with the car power adapter.

Thanks Whacky... the unit works just fine in the car. It also was able to do the firmware update via the usb so, like I said, I have to presume it's something with the remote head plug/connection and not a voltage/current issue.

AuntEnvy

While I appreciate your attempt at helping, I said PRESUME. There's a difference. You're ASSUMING I have the equipment and the ability to test voltage, which I have neither. Further, I wasn't asked, I was given a much-appreciated suggestion. I would ask, could you please not reply with admonishment or smarminess? That helps no one.

TAbirdman

If the unit works fine in the car but not in the house, then either the AC outlet ( or strip) is not working or the wall power supply isn't working. Since the unit works fine in the car, there is nothing wrong with the scanner.

AuntEnvy

If the unit works fine in the car but not in the house, then either the AC outlet ( or strip) is not working or the wall power supply isn't working. Since the unit works fine in the car, there is nothing wrong with the scanner.
Thank you TA, I figure this as well.

Since I've used different outlets and/or power strips I have to figure the power supply has gone bad -which honestly I'm inclined not to believe because it hasn't been subjected to wear&tear or abuse of any kind- or the remote head connection is bad. I'll be getting my car back shortly so I'll be able to do a further elimination check with the remote cable soon.

CycleSycho

While I appreciate your attempt at helping, I said PRESUME. There's a difference. You're ASSUMING I have the equipment and the ability to test voltage, which I have neither. Further, I wasn't asked, I was given a much-appreciated suggestion. I would ask, could you please not reply with admonishment or smarminess? That helps no one.

o_O MY my, touchy aren't we (you)? Get help somewhere else with an attitude like yours. You said that it works in the car and the A/C power adapter ISN'T working. Geeze, basic tip. The current issue would not even have gotten to IF the damn wart isn't supplying ANY power (that you say is the original wart). Works in car (vehicle) doesn't work with wall wart. I have a final suggestion, go buy a new one then you can start with no problems. With your attitude it is the only sure way you'll get back to scanning in your home. Oh, what IS " smarminess ", never mind, your feelings might get bruised again... Trust me I will not be helping someone so ignorant of the devices that you own. Finally, using a different wart (not knowing anything about + & -, pins, and whether or not the adapter works), will destroy a device faster then lightning if it is the wrong wart output voltage, polarity, or current. o_O

AuntEnvy

o_O MY my, touchy aren't we (you)? Get help somewhere else with an attitude like yours. You said that it works in the car and the A/C power adapter ISN'T working. Geeze, basic tip. The current issue would not even have gotten to IF the damn wart isn't supplying ANY power (that you say is the original wart). Works in car (vehicle) doesn't work with wall wart. I have a final suggestion, go buy a new one then you can start with no problems. With your attitude it is the only sure way you'll get back to scanning in your home. Oh, what IS " smarminess ", never mind, your feelings might get bruised again... Trust me I will not be helping someone so ignorant of the devices that you own. Finally, using a different wart (not knowing anything about + & -, pins, and whether or not the adapter works), will destroy a device faster then lightning if it is the wrong wart output voltage, polarity, or current. o_O

Your posts speak for themselves. There's always one in the bunch.

Your final suggestion is of no help either. I have nearly every model of new scanner there is, be it home, work or mobile, and they all work just fine.

There are plenty of others here who have always been extremely helpful, patient and kind. If this is your approach to "helping", you'd be doing many a favor if you refrained from doing so.

AuntEnvy

Well, I have my car back and the remote cable and have found that it works with that attached using the AC adapter. The issue appears to be with the remote head plugin connection.

I will now attempt to fiddle with that a bit and see what's what.

AuntEnvy

After cleaning the terminals on both parts of the remote head plugin, which appeared to be fine, and connecting/disconnecting the head sevral times to make sure it had a tight, clean seat, the unit is working as it should with the AC adapter.

Conclusion, if you are using the remote head exclusively, in my case mobile setup, be sure to periodically clean the terminals where they connect or protect them in some way. Hopefully this helps others in the future if they run into this problem.

Thanks again for the replies.

CycleSycho

:( DDT, 'Ignored'(?), you act as if I care.... AE, your solution sounds bogus, ie made up. I can just ignore ppl without pressing an 'ignore' button. Too funny... You folks do know any post can be read before signing in, don't you? :(

:) Done with the childish antics here. Bet that just makes your month… :)

Status
Not open for further replies.