BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

I've got a brand new BCD436HP that unfortunately will not turn on. Yesterday it had a low battery warning but I've since switched batteries(brand new ones) and it's now completely unresponsive.

I've tried plugging it into my computer's USB, removing/re-inserting the batteries etc but the scanner is 100% dead.

Any ideas?

Essexscan

First take the batteries out and try to run the 436 on just the USB cable, then reverify the batteries are inserted correctly 2 go one way and the center is opposite. I know this and even put one in wrong myself a couple times, make sure they are fully seated. If none of these work then I would do a reset

press and hold the 2,9, and DEPT key then the power key will do a reset

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I've got a brand new BCD436HP that unfortunately will not turn on. Yesterday it had a low battery warning but I've since switched batteries(brand new ones) and it's now completely unresponsive.

I've tried plugging it into my computer's USB, removing/re-inserting the batteries etc but the scanner is 100% dead.

Any ideas?

If possible try different USB cables and USB ports on your computer.

If available a good backup SD card or use your computer to make a good SD card.

However, AFAIK until you can get power to the 436 it will not respond to things like a hardware reset. I only suggest the SD card since I do not know to what extent the Firmware on the SD card is involved in powering the 436, but I consider that a LONG shot at best.

It may have to be sent to the Uniden Hospital where I have been told they can bring things back from the dead.

BigEvil

Tried battery, cables, hardware reset, nothing worked (just a 100% dead/unresponsive scanner) until....

swapped to a backed up SD card.

Disappointed a bit since this seems to happen quite often...

BigEvil

Affirmative. I've also made two backups of the working SD card so I can swap SD cards should this happen again. I feel like something in the programming makes these SD cards go corrupt/unreadable more often than usual.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Tried battery, cables, hardware reset, nothing worked (just a 100% dead/unresponsive scanner) until....

swapped to a backed up SD card.

Disappointed a bit since this seems to happen quite often...

It does appear that we are hearing about a lot of problems with SD cards for some reason.

I do not know if a "Firmware change" could give the SD card more protection and/or if we the users may need more detailed ways to safely use our SD cards.

For example, are certain brands of SD cards more likely to give us a problem or certain sizes or how we format them, etc.? Maybe a survey of users would help?

It would seem having "good" batteries in the 436 should help avoid this problem but from what I have read it may not.

Essexscan

Make sure when you swap batteries that you don't unlock the SD card retainer. other members have mentioned knocking it around a little.

knock on wood I have not had any problems with my 436 even after swapping to a 16Gb card and I change batteries once a day.

in addition to my backup card I keep a copy of my card stored in a folder on my desktop for both the 436 and HP-1. It helps if I need to reload a good card in a hurry and don't have a extra Sd card avail

Glad your radio is back on Scan Duty

N0UDG, I swapped to a Sony 16GB and have had no problems with them at all

troymail

Silent Key
Interesting - did it just stop working or was it turned off and then would come back on?

I've seen a couple of posts indicting that on at least one P25 Phase 2 system, the radio will reboot under certain conditions. I think someone (KevinC?) also posted that the 436 seems to reset or reboot for no reason on Phase 2 systems if/when a patched talkgroup is heard.

Sure are alot of problems with these things....

TonyOrlando

Premium Subscriber
I am experiencing the same problem. I have 2 brand new sets of rechargeable batteries and a new charger. I read that many people were getting 8 hours on battery but I was getting 4 at best. I began to have problems with the scanner turning itself on and off or just not coming on at all. I would remove the batteries for a day and then it would seem to work again. As soon as the batteries would get low, I'd put in a fresh set and experience the problems again. I formatted the SD card several times and "cleared user data" with the Sentinel software. This would help for a day or so.

I just went and bought a new 16GB SD card (PNY). After installing the new card, the scanner powered up and worked flawlessly for 2 days (monitoring a P25 Phase 2 system). Reception was noticeably improved and battery life was closer to 8 hours. Much to my disappointment, the same problems have started again. Another SD card corrupted? I can't get the scanner to connect or power up via USB cable (with or without batteries). I may try formatting the SD card directly in the computer but this is starting to get old. Since I bought the unit used, I have no warranty. I'm contemplating sending it in for repair and paying the $80 but I don't want to have the same problem when it comes back.

Voyager

As soon as the batteries would get low, I'd put in a fresh set and experience the problems again. I formatted the SD card several times and "cleared user data" with the Sentinel software. This would help for a day or so.

Are you shutting the scanner off before removing the batteries?

TonyOrlando

Premium Subscriber
I normally turn the unit off before replacing batteries in any of my radios....however....there are times where just the backlight is on or the scanner seems to go into a non stop "boot loop" and the keypad is unresponsive so I have no choice but to pull the batteries while it's on.

As as side note, the unit magically connected to the computer last night around 7pm after 30 something attempts all during the day. So I once again "cleared user data" with Sentinel and the unit worked beautifully. I actually fell asleep on the couch and woke up with dead batteries at 3am.

Put in a fresh set this morning and it seems to be working. I do find that I have to manually adjust the P25 threshold at different times of the day.

Voyager

I normally turn the unit off before replacing batteries in any of my radios....however....there are times where just the backlight is on or the scanner seems to go into a non stop "boot loop" and the keypad is unresponsive so I have no choice but to pull the batteries while it's on.

I would suspect defective batteries or a defective unit. Removing the batteries can cause card corruption which could cause any number of issues. The unit should power down after the batteries get so low. Mine does. If yours is not, and it keeps 'spiking' the card, who knows what could go bad.

Next time, note the voltage when it starts to 'act up' and post it here. That may give a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.