Woodbridge Twp New truck system Pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfd1274

trunk system

Most new vehicles purchased on the fire/ems side have XTL 2500's. Alot of the fire districts are already purchasing XTS 5000's to replace older portables. PD will be encrypted. The fire districts requested analog simplex fireground channels in addition to their repeated, digital trunked talkgroups. Although the frequencies have been licensed, no contract has been awarded to design/build the system yet.

gcr33

I am just wondering what kind of truck is delivering the TRUNK system?

Fast fingers make mistakes.

Found Freq FCC Database fro a new truck system for woodbidge anybody have more info

Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0003424274 - WOODBRIDGE, TOWNSHIP OF

506.55000000 506.62500000 506.65000000 506.67500000 506.75000000 506.80000000 507.02500000 507.43750000 507.51250000 507.53750000 507.58750000 507.63750000 507.71250000 507.73750000 507.93750000

ile Number 0003424274 Radio Service YW - Public Safety Pool, Trunked
Call Sign Application Status 2 - Pending
General Information
Application Purpose AM - Amendment Original Application Purpose NE - New
Existing Radio Service See Full Filing History
Authorization Type Regular Emergency STA
Receipt Date 06/25/2008 Action Date 06/26/2008
Entered Date 06/25/2008 Requested Expiration Date
Waiver Yes Number of Rules
Attachments Yes Grandfathered Privileges No
Application Fee Exempt Yes Regulatory Fee Exempt Yes

gcr33

Bergen Co. NJ is currently constructing the new system. Where do you get this 2 or 3 year timeframe.
A building has already been installed attached to the Hackensack Hq.

Who discussed joining the Bergen Co. system; a bunch of volunteers who base their information on false threads posted here?

Digital radios work everywhere else but in joisy. I wonder why that is? Operator error?

This happened in Belleville township / Essex County a years ago, The Township licensed three conventional 800 mhz freqs for Police and Fire department, The fire department refused to switch over they remained on high band along with the Public Works department on another high band freq.

In recent news where I work, North Arlington the town turned down going to the new county wide P25 Bergen County Astro System while Lyndhurst Police is switching over to the new system when ready in two or three years.

As far as these systems being a waste of tax payer money I strongly AGREE ! There are many departments that don't like these systems Kearny being one of them. I was standing with an officer with a P25 radio on the audio was awful and I asked him does all the radios sound like that and he said yes.

Have a good weekend !!

ob123

Premium Subscriber
So, as of now no scanner would be able to pick up a system like this one right?

Thanks

TonyS

They're hoping Rahway, Perth Amboy, and Carteret will join on, which would help defray costs. Yeah, first time that system goes down and all these towns are without comms they're gonna love that idea. PD will be encrypted, ala Edison, and everything will move over the the system. A lot of township workers I've talked to think it's a big waste of $ and I agree. Fix the PD's channel-2 coverage issues by adding 1 or 2 more repeaters, especially in the "3-end", and you'd be better off. FD is not happy about going digital when their convy system is working fine. They've all heard about Edison's woes and that scares them. I don't blame them. Townships as big as Woodbridge always think they need the latest, greatest radio gear.... and Moto reps are smooth talkers and can be persuasive. So, $10million dollars going into the crapper for a system not too many want, nor is needed.

Last edited:

AlexC

Database Admin
As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be too hard to add AMBE decoding to a scanner. AMBE is actually cheaper for the actual radio manufactures to implement. A close friend told me that it had to do with the per-vocoder charge from DVSI. That's why a well-outfitted Motorola XTS5000 goes for over $3000 new, and the new digital models from ICOM & Kenwood that use their new NXDN FDMA format cost only $500-$700.

Well - a couple points.

It's my understanding that the XTS5000 and 2500 series radios will not be retrofitted to support any apco25 phase 2, tdma, or AMBE digital operation. I don't think there's enough memory in the radio's DSP in order to support backwards compatibility with AMBE and IMBE as currently designed (not to mention potential issues with RF board components and TDMA timing).

The problem with TDMA is that your now taking 2 channels and passing it on one frequency. This isn't taking a 12.5khz channel and splitting it in two, it's using a 6.25khz channel and that is allowing 2 different activities on that channel. This is the same thing that our favorite cell phone providers do - like Nextel. They use 1 channel, but there's 6 slots on that channel for audio.

I'm not saying that there won't ever be something that will decode it, but there's a lot of system timing issues that would have to be resolved for it to work properly. The good thing is that anyone can license the P25 specification as it's an open protocol. The BAD PART? Manufactures are realizing that there's a demand for the technology and a soon approaching FCC Mandate where agencies and organizations are going to be unable to apply for wide band channels, and soon, not even 12.5khz channels. APCO is being slow in releasing "Phase 2" standard - so you have manufactures now going out and making up their own version of it, hoping that APCO will adopt what they are building. This *IS* going to create massive incompatibility and slowly start to push away from interoperability should a standard not be decided on. Hopefully when that point is hit, Uniden and GRE can buy the standard and figure out how to stuff it into a scanner.

From what I understand about the new shipping base stations that are being installed in all these new systems -they don't *YET* support analog, they only do digital, so once they fix that issue, you'll see the Quantar's hit their end of life. Hopefully we can then get some 438-470 repeaters out on the open market then!!!!!

I've seen one of the new TDMA sites and the infrastructure - it's much cleaner, more compact, and seems to be better integrated. A lot more IP based equipment being used for back haul which should reduce both operator costs and overhead. Now they have fancy boxes that look identical to network switches which act as analog voice gateways (essentially allow you to hook up your own tone controlled devices to the system). They are pretty impressive.

-Alex

ob123

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure, to the best of my knowledge they haven't started building the new dispatch yet.
But I could be wrong.

radiomanNJ1

The Bergen County system is going up. You Joisy guys who say the system will go down and the towns will be without communications have no clue. The reliability of trunked radio systems has been established over a long period of time. It just seems that Joisy people fear that which they have not experienced.
The NJSP system works. There are many counties that have trunked radio systems. Save your money and get ready to buy a digital trunked radio. No one wants to spend the money but protests here will not ever stop progress.

BergenRadio

I thought AMBE was what MA-Comm used? P25 has IMBE established as a standard and a true P25 system is 9600 baud.

BergenRadio

So does that mean Bergen Co. will be using a new system that I can pickup or cannot pickup?
It is very confusing.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Yep, OpenSky uses AMBE. I think it's going to be quite a bit of time more before the APCO Phase-II stuff really hits the market.

I would have to say that a good guess about Woodbridge & Bergen is that they will be current P25 systems (especially with all the talk farther up this thread about XTS5000's already being deployed in the twp).

CERT6

ok so lets see if i am understanding this right,

- the new system for PD ONLY is going to be encrypted?
- what about fire and ems encrypted or no?
-I have a bc296d digital, if they are not going to be encrypted, does that mean i can not hear these frequencies either?

Tac-1

if its apco 25 you should be able to hear the non encrypted traffic , dont think the PD normal traffic has to be encrypted anyway just adds alot of cost to system, should only be installed it for Detectives and spc ops, they should also use a hybird analog digital system so the FD can use analog channels for fireground since digital is cancelled out by multipath & poor signals dont want be trap in a basement with a radio that only transmits a garbled mayday

Last edited:

GM

Premium Subscriber
I am using a BC296D to monitor the system and it works just fine in conventional mode. Be aware though that at this time, I do not know what the base freq, offset, or channel spacing is, so I don't have tracking ability just yet. The control channel is reading: NFM, DAT which indicates that its P25 mode. As soon as someone with better knowledge than me can figure out what the channel spacing, offset and base freq. is, I will be able to trunk track it and get some TG #'s during testing. Then, I can report my findings on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.