Woodbridge Twp New truck system Pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac-1

Found Freq FCC Database fro a new truck system for woodbidge anybody have more info

Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0003424274 - WOODBRIDGE, TOWNSHIP OF

506.55000000 506.62500000 506.65000000 506.67500000 506.75000000 506.80000000 507.02500000 507.43750000 507.51250000 507.53750000 507.58750000 507.63750000 507.71250000 507.73750000 507.93750000

ile Number 0003424274 Radio Service YW - Public Safety Pool, Trunked
Call Sign Application Status 2 - Pending
General Information
Application Purpose AM - Amendment Original Application Purpose NE - New
Existing Radio Service See Full Filing History
Authorization Type Regular Emergency STA
Receipt Date 06/25/2008 Action Date 06/26/2008
Entered Date 06/25/2008 Requested Expiration Date
Waiver Yes Number of Rules
Attachments Yes Grandfathered Privileges No
Application Fee Exempt Yes Regulatory Fee Exempt Yes

W2SJW

Database Admin
Wow, 15 frequency pairs! I would be damn sure that all township services would be migrated over to a system that big... :wink:

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Wow, 15 frequency pairs! I would be damn sure that all township services would be migrated over to a system that big... :wink:

The whole county should migrate over...

Wonder how much this township will spend on a trunked system? I also hope that someone asks them if this will increase interoperability?

GM

Premium Subscriber
Woodbridge NJ TRS

If this TRS is going to be 15 pairs, then maybe it's time that Carteret and Perth Amboy hop on to this system, with all gov't users on it. That would be a prime example of inter-operability! I haven't heard anything else though and have plugged in the freq's in conventional mode on my Pro-97 to see if and when things start becoming active.

ctrabs74

If this TRS is going to be 15 pairs, then maybe it's time that Carteret and Perth Amboy hop on to this system, with all gov't users on it. That would be a prime example of inter-operability! I haven't heard anything else though and have plugged in the freq's in conventional mode on my Pro-97 to see if and when things start becoming active.

Given the trend in NJ these days, I doubt you'd get anything other than digital noise on your Pro-97 with Woodbridge's new freqs.

ob123

Premium Subscriber
I've been waiting like 2 years for them to switch.... I mean I dont want them too but i guess they are ready.

In the past few months I have noticed new XTL's installed in there engines....

AlexC

Database Admin
I'm sure if it's going out to bid/spec - it'll be a new TDMA/FDMA system, so I doubt when it goes live you'll be listening to it.

W2SJW

Database Admin
This is actually directed towards the business 'professional' type of radio user, but will somewhat explain what is closely coming down the line for public safety users.

It's Moto's attempt to explain why they feel TDMA is better than FDMA in meeting the upcoming 6.25 KHz separation mandate by the FCC. A quick quote:

"Frequency-Division Multiple Access (FDMA) splits the channel frequency into two smaller sub-channels that can carry separate calls side-by-side. Time-Division Multiple Access (TDMA) preserves the full channel width, but divides it into alternating time slots that can each carry an individual call."

Last edited:

ob123

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean like smartzone/smartnet type of a system?

W2SJW

Database Admin
Probably not, I've been told that unless you have some serious contacts in the right places, /\/\ won't sell you a new 3600 baud system anymore. It's all P25 that they are pushing...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Would a BCD396T listener be able to hear a system like that?

System like what? Both of the two systems mentioned above utilize the AMBE+2 voice codec. The current Phase-I APCO25 digital that is in use now is FDMA via the IMBE voice codec. AMBE is backwards-compatable with IMBE, but not in the other direction. The current crop of scanners can only decode IMBE.

I don't see why the current scanner producers would not be able to add AMBE to a scanner, but there needs to be a monumental improvement in technology before you will see TDMA reception supported. I haven't read the whitepapers on the APCO25 Phase-II roll-out in a LONG time, but I swore the first time I read them that they were leaning twoards TDMA for public safety...

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
System like what? Both of the two systems mentioned above utilize the AMBE+2 voice codec. The current Phase-I APCO25 digital that is in use now is FDMA via the IMBE voice codec. AMBE is backwards-compatable with IMBE, but not in the other direction. The current crop of scanners can only decode IMBE.

I don't see why the current scanner producers would not be able to add AMBE to a scanner, but there needs to be a monumental improvement in technology before you will see TDMA reception supported. I haven't read the whitepapers on the APCO25 Phase-II roll-out in a LONG time, but I swore the first time I read them that they were leaning twoards TDMA for public safety...

In other words I have to hope that Uniden has a download so that my scanner will support AMBE or I have to buy the newest model scanner if I wanted to pick up those types of systems?

W2SJW

Database Admin
In other words I have to hope that Uniden has a download so that my scanner will support AMBE or I have to buy the newest model scanner if I wanted to pick up those types of systems?

As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be too hard to add AMBE decoding to a scanner. AMBE is actually cheaper for the actual radio manufactures to implement. A close friend told me that it had to do with the per-vocoder charge from DVSI. That's why a well-outfitted Motorola XTS5000 goes for over $3000 new, and the new digital models from ICOM & Kenwood that use their new NXDN FDMA format cost only $500-$700.

Check out my site if you want to hear what they sound like... :wink:

mredding

Premium Subscriber
Talked to few firemen about the system; overall most aren't very happy. Apparently the fire districts are pleased with the performance of the conventional system, but the township wants to move police, public works, etc to the same system and can't do so without the financial support of the fire commissioners. Last I heard was the salesmen were pitching the same P25 encryption capable XTS5000's to the fire department that they were to the police department, despite the fact that such radios would be ridiculously unnecessary inside a burning building. They ran a demo with P25 digital; from what I was told when using the digital vocoder the background noise seems to equal if not overpower the user's voice. Definitely a problem on the side of a highway, around fire engines, etc etc. Essentially sounds like they want a P25 trunking system with law enforcement encrypted like Edison's, which I'm sure is where the idea came from.

My $0.02: a lovely waste of taxpayer money. Keep you posted if I hear any more rumblings.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I agree about the 5000's being a waste of money. The 2500 or the 1500 1.5 for FD usage would be better suited...

mondaro

Feed Provider
Talked to few firemen about the system; overall most aren't very happy. Apparently the fire districts are pleased with the performance of the conventional system, but the township wants to move police, public works, etc to the same system and can't do so without the financial support of the fire commissioners. Last I heard was the salesmen were pitching the same P25 encryption capable XTS5000's to the fire department that they were to the police department, despite the fact that such radios would be ridiculously unnecessary inside a burning building. They ran a demo with P25 digital; from what I was told when using the digital vocoder the background noise seems to equal if not overpower the user's voice. Definitely a problem on the side of a highway, around fire engines, etc etc. Essentially sounds like they want a P25 trunking system with law enforcement encrypted like Edison's, which I'm sure is where the idea came from.

My $0.02: a lovely waste of taxpayer money. Keep you posted if I hear any more rumblings.

This happened in Belleville township / Essex County a years ago, The Township licensed three conventional 800 mhz freqs for Police and Fire department, The fire department refused to switch over they remained on high band along with the Public Works department on another high band freq.

In recent news where I work, North Arlington the town turned down going to the new county wide P25 Bergen County Astro System while Lyndhurst Police is switching over to the new system when ready in two or three years.

As far as these systems being a waste of tax payer money I strongly AGREE ! There are many departments that don't like these systems Kearny being one of them. I was standing with an officer with a P25 radio on the audio was awful and I asked him does all the radios sound like that and he said yes.

Have a good weekend !!

Status
Not open for further replies.