woodburn pd nxdn .

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasone234

does anyone know woodburn pd nxdn info so i can program my new sds 100? I dont hear any digital noise on 155.13 and cant find anything on radio reference. Thanks

JATO757

I’m not sure what their deal is either. I should be able to hear them on my SDS-200 from Salem, but don’t. Their NXDN channel is always quiet.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I can't seem to find there freq there using.
155.13 MHz. They are NXDN, RAN 10. So you will need the NXDN upgrade for the SDS radios. I heard them just a little while ago on my SDS100 from Portland. Using a rooftop antenna, but even so they're always kind of broken and sporadic for me because of the distance. When I've been down that way in my car the signal was good.

Otto

Why not? Our PD uses my NXDN trunked system as a backup and for some admin type stuff.
I had always thought it was intended for Business use, pretty much as a Kenwood alternative to MotoTRBO. Plus, literally no other agency in the area uses it, so there are obvious interoperability issues.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had always thought it was intended for Business use, pretty much as a Kenwood alternative to MotoTRBO. Plus, literally no other agency in the area uses it, so there are obvious interoperability issues.

It's used by many police departments. No, it's not P25, but it's a fraction of the price.

As for interoperability, analog is interoperable, and if you look at the DHS IFOG guide, the VHF/UHF/800MHz interop channels are all analog.

And Kenwood makes radios that will do NXDN, P25 and DMR all in the same radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Maybe it was a lowest bid thing?

Could have been. Or they chose it specifically. It does have some benefits besides costs.
Back in 2010, I was replacing my Motorola SmartNet system. I trialed MotoTrbo and NXDN. Trbo sounded like utter crap and had some limitation that wouldn't let it work for what we needed. After so many years of dealing with terrible Motorola service/shops/dealers/etc. We were looking at options. I priced out an LTR analog system, a NexEdge trunked system and a P25 system. P25 was going to run over a million dollars and the subscriber radios were in the $1500 and up range. LTR would have worked, but it was old technology and I knew it was not the way to go. Trbo sounded bad and didn't want to deal with Motorola any more. Kenwood walks in with NXDN and I was pretty much sold. Nicer audio, less expensive infrastructure and less expensive subscriber units. In the end, getting more radios in the hands of those that need them is more important than brand name or technology.

At the time I was looking at the system, I was talking with University of Oregon. They were on the same track I was.
It's been a good investment. I've long since paid it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.