Woodbury County - anyone have new Uniden scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
FWIW: I do not have one of the new scanners, but know several who do and the aggregate feedback I've gotten is that it functions somewhat better with Woodbury's system, but it's not a miracle cure. YMMV.

I have been considering purchasing one, but since I get very good results with my 396 I have found no need to bite the bullet (yet).

scanthis

Thank you, tfhphoto. I have a GRE PSR-500 handheld which works well but ONLY if tethered to a yagi antenna which, as you know, totally defeats the purpose of having a handheld. :-( What type of antenna do you use, and whereabouts in Sioux City are you located? (I live about a mile due east of Sergeant Bluff).

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
Mid-northside. At home with the stock duck or attached to a roof-mount Diamond V2000 and mobile with a Comet CA-2x4SR. And, at work downtown on another V2000 (396XT) and a Radio Shack metal collapsible/adjustable antenna on a vintage 296D.

It's my understanding that at your general location it's hard to get decent reception on the system.

Which tower do you have the yagi pointed at? Or, are you using it to try to null one or more of the towers?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Woodbury & PSR 500

When I visit Sloan, Iowa, I hardly ever receive a decent signal from STARCOMM. Since I am a guest there, I am using a 1/4 wave stainless steel magnetic antenna mounting inside. The reception is marginal at best. Even when I visit Sioux City, the signal remains difficult. At times, I cannot hear them at all. I have programmed all of the system frequencies and set the thresholds in my PSR 500.

In the future, I am going to puchase one or the other: a) Whistler's version of the former PSR 800; or b) the new 436HP.

Hopefully, this will improve reception for STARCOMM.

scanthis

My yagi is aimed at the WITCC tower...it's the best line-of-sight option for me. Funny, I have the yagi sitting inside the house aimed out my front door (which is mostly glass) and it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.