Wooded Hills, and a Yaesu FT-7900R

Status
Not open for further replies.

devildogusmc4

Hi, this is my last thread about a radio, since most of you know I have been asking about which radio I should get. I have been researching since one of you have mentioned a 50 Watt radio. Well I found one.

Yaesu FT-7900R
VHF-50 Watt
UHF-40 Watt

Would this be a good radio radio to get my signal out of this valley connected to a Cobra High Gain 1500 36" Antenna. The valley is wood, but not that big of a valley. From what I seen, this is the beast, is that rue, and will this get me out of the valley. Im pretty sure it will from my reading, and over 30 videos i watched today on YouTube.

n5ims

Hi, this is my last thread about a radio, since most of you know I have been asking about which radio I should get. I have been researching since one of you have mentioned a 50 Watt radio. Well I found one.

Yaesu FT-7900R
VHF-50 Watt
UHF-40 Watt

Would this be a good radio radio to get my signal out of this valley connected to a Cobra High Gain 1500 36" Antenna. The valley is wood, but not that big of a valley. From what I seen, this is the beast, is that rue, and will this get me out of the valley. Im pretty sure it will from my reading, and over 30 videos i watched today on YouTube.

There are a few issues with that.

First the Cobra HG A1500 (https://www.cobra.com/detail/hg-a1500-magnet-mount-antenna-31-inches.cfm) is designed for CB use at 27 MHz, not for VHF or UHF use and will probably burn up the radio's finals pretty quickly. Chances are that until they burn out it'll not perform all that well either.

Second, the Yaesu is a ham radio and not Part-90 certified (like the Wouxun hand-held you asked about) so it won't be legal to transmit on your 472.xxx MHz dispatch channel even if you got permission to use it there. It would be OK to receive their transmissions on that radio however.

With the issues you're having, you probably should look up a local Ham Radio Club and attend one of their meetings. They should have somebody that can help you set up a working station that will both be legal (assuming you're indeed licensed) and will do what you want. That way you can have somebody that can really understand what you need and apply their knowledge of the area, your license restrictions to help you make the best choices (and most likely even help you install them and train you on how to properly use them).

While you appear to be attempting to do things right, you're asking disconnected questions in several posts. While you're getting some good answers, they don't always connect together. Changing to an automotive analogy, somebody goes to the best car forum and asks "What's the best car?". After a good discussion the answer is a "Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera". Next you go to the best RV forum and ask "What's the best RV trailer?". After a good discussion you get the answer a "CrossRoads Cruiser Sahara". You then go to a sports car site and ask "What's the best road to drive?". After a lively discussion you end up with the answer the "Col De Turini" from Sospel to La Bollène in the south of France. While others may have different opinions, they all are valid answers to the questions.

You now have the best car, the best trailer, and the best road. The problem is you can't pull that trailer with that car and even if you could, they wouldn't go on that road with the steep climbs and hairpin turns.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.294 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Besides I do not think that the radio will even Tx above 470MHz.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

Yaesu FT-7900R
VHF-50 Watt
UHF-40 Watt

Here's a novel idea, rather than trying to get a HAM radio to bootleg on part 90, how about seeking a qualified LMR shop in your area? They would be delighted to assist you in selecting a proper part 90 radio that fits your needs, a suitable antenna, and even help with a professional installation, proper programming of said radio on authorized department channels, and even provide you with post sales support.

That's what I would recommend.

N8IAA

I would follow what MTS2000des advises. This way you would get a radio and antenna tuned to the frequency you wish to monitor and talk on:) Ham radios are meant to be used on amateur radio frequencies period! Regardless of what others say they use them for.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.