Woodside Oil Refinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

west5alpha

Interesting that RadioRef still has radio freq for the old refinery even though its all dismantled and no actual oil production is happening

hfxChris

Database Admin
First, I'll point out that the site is far from abandoned; the refinery may be dismantled, but the tank farm, ship dock, rail siding and tanker truck terminal are all still very much in use.

I always assumed this system had been abandoned when the refinery part shut down, however a few months ago I decided to give the voice channels a listen. Not much to do during the early days of the pandemic, so I was spending a lot of time looking over some of this weirder stuff. Anyway, turns out there's still activity on the system frequencies, but with DCS tones, which tells me they've likely re-used the frequencies for conventional repeaters. I've been meaning to assemble the notes I made and add it to the database (and remove the Motorola system). I should probably get on that.

Anyway interestingly, I also discovered what sounds to me like a very weak Motorola control channel on 424.9875, and if you look that up in the TAFL it shows as licensed to Imperial Oil. Not sure what that's about, but I can never get a good enough signal to decode anything from it.

Edit: I've removed the Motorola system from the database. At some point I'll add the conventional repeaters once I figure out where those notes are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.