Woodway, Texas Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Results

When I went to "analyze" for both VHF and P25 auto, here is what I found:

VHF: no data, everything is blank

P25 Auto showed 99% with N481. All other fields showed blank spaces.

I don't think this system has been activated. I think they have installed the CC.

Ensnared

Radio Check

As of 1408 hours, I am hearing "radio check" on the Woodway system. When the radio was keyed up, it showed a TG of 6. 99%. This was on the P25 auto TSY. But, I am still hearing Woodway on their conventional frequency, 155.955.

They must be rigging up.

What a rush.

Ensnared

Woodway Monitoring Status

Last evening, I loaded all of the frequencies listed in the FCC DB for Woodway PD (KBJ926) & Woodway Fire (KNAT723) while keeping the CC of 155.535 in the number one position just in case the CC shifts to other frequencies.

Consequently, I am still tracking the TSY. Here are my observation points:

1) Radio service asked for a radio check on 155.955, analog conventional around 13:20 hours;
2) TG's 1 and 6 are showing up on an intermittent basis with occasional analog transmissions on 155.955;
3) 155.955 appears to have a weaker signal than when the TSY surfaces. When the scanner stops on the TG, the only frequency showing is 155.73.

I am still attempting to analyze this system by trial & error. Later today, I will make yet another attempt to download and install Unitrunker since I understand it uses the same port established for the GRE USB cable.

Ensnared

Latest On Migration

On the previous date, I heard what I believe to be the installer asking whether people had programmed their radios. This person asked dispatch whether the sirens went off. She stated that the sirens were activated and that the Bearcom representative heard them. Later, they said, "you can give it back to Hewitt."

So, since one of the frequencies listed for Woodway includes a Hewitt frequency, I am wondering if Hewitt will be joining the radio system.

As of this date, three TG's have been observed: 1; 3; & 6.

The installer also indicated that the transition would continue without defining time parameters.

SCPD

QRT
Ahh, it's fun to watch the noob's learn isn't it :p

If I'm not mistaken, Woodway, Robinson, Lacy-Lakeview and some others were going to build a VHF P25 Trunk system. I think Beverly Hills was even going to be part of it although B-Hills was on a Private TRS for sometime.

Just a guess, but if Woodway has K-9 then he probably is on Waco/TXWARN (All the K-9 units in McLennan County have access to all the radio systems)

FYI when I clicked your link that file would not play. but my guess is that Woodway is P25 - Narrowband compliant on 155.9550. I can't see Woodway going to Connect Plus TRBO or even NXDN, but stranger has happened.

I have to go visit a dead friend at a Memorial Cemetery in Waco in December. I'll be in over the weekend. I have a 996XT and a PSR-600 and would be honored to meet with you for lunch and go over it if you'd like, maybe we can get it figured out and you can update the database with the new info.

Ensnared

Breaking Bread

Ahh, it's fun to watch the noob's learn isn't it :p

If I'm not mistaken, Woodway, Robinson, Lacy-Lakeview and some others were going to build a VHF P25 Trunk system. I think Beverly Hills was even going to be part of it although B-Hills was on a Private TRS for sometime.

Just a guess, but if Woodway has K-9 then he probably is on Waco/TXWARN (All the K-9 units in McLennan County have access to all the radio systems)

FYI when I clicked your link that file would not play. but my guess is that Woodway is P25 - Narrowband compliant on 155.9550. I can't see Woodway going to Connect Plus TRBO or even NXDN, but stranger has happened.

I have to go visit a dead friend at a Memorial Cemetery in Waco in December. I'll be in over the weekend. I have a 996XT and a PSR-600 and would be honored to meet with you for lunch and go over it if you'd like, maybe we can get it figured out and you can update the database with the new info.

Yes, Woodway PD seems to get all of the high tech toys. At one time, they had a FLIR mounted on one of their light bars. But, I guess they went under a low clearance because it is gone. Or, they were trying the product out to see if they wanted to buy one.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I would like to have lunch and compare notes. The only day I won't be in town is 12/10/2011 when I will go to Austin for Brian Setzer's concert and Christmas when I travel to Big Spring.

I've attempted to monitor Lacy Lakeview, but I generally get two bars on this system from where I live. When I've attempted to analyze it, it shows no control channel. To this date, no CC has been listed in the RR DB. Perhaps, my PSR 500 needs another trip for BNC module replacement. I will attempt to load the frequencies into my Pro 2042 to see if I can hear a CC for this department. I might need to drive closer to the transmitter site.

I heard that McClennan county was considering a VHF system, but I've not heard any recent news. I am still hearing Robinson, Hewitt, and Woodway on their conventional frequencies.

The FCC page for Woodway Fire & PD showed "trunked" not conventional. This is what triggered my interest.

Beverly Hills has been an odd little beast. Quite some time ago, I was hearing them on their own TSY. At present, I think they are patched into the Waco-Mclennan County TSY.

Yes, Woodway does have a K-9 unit. I think Lacy Lakeview has one as well.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to discern the system ID, etc. I have heard the installer talk about the installation process, "when we move everything over."

If you like, the link of the CC video was repaired. You can now listen for yourself.
I will PM my telephone number for our meeting.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Ensnared, it is fun watching you learn all about this and see you figure it out. I was there not that long ago, and still am there in many respects.

Honestly, I'm seeing signs of a really small VHF P25 TRS by your comments. By small I mean just a 2 channel, hopefully with options to expand out later (or maybe just as a means to get better interoperability with the TxWARN folks).

Keep the info coming, and we'll see what help we can offer from afar. I'll be in Waco for a split second on my way to Van Zandt County at the end of December (and by Waco I mean Valley Mills and by brief, I mean for a meal in the country with some relatives and maybe a quick fossil hunt on the Brazos :)).

Ensnared

Quoting Manuel, Fawlty Towers, "I Learn, I learn."

Ensnared, it is fun watching you learn all about this and see you figure it out. I was there not that long ago, and still am there in many respects.

Honestly, I'm seeing signs of a really small VHF P25 TRS by your comments. By small I mean just a 2 channel, hopefully with options to expand out later (or maybe just as a means to get better interoperability with the TxWARN folks).

Keep the info coming, and we'll see what help we can offer from afar. I'll be in Waco for a split second on my way to Van Zandt County at the end of December (and by Waco I mean Valley Mills and by brief, I mean for a meal in the country with some relatives and maybe a quick fossil hunt on the Brazos :)).

I am happy I am finally providing someone entertainment with my antics. My wife has been most understanding over the years since I came down with Scanner Fever in 1976. Thanks, I needed the laugh. Sometimes, I think I am savant, but not for technical details.

When they finalize the TSY, I might be able to provide others with the necessary information to post on the RR DB.

For example, I helped with the Lacy Lakeview DB entries, but now, I am not hearing any CC up there on my trusty Pro 2042. But, I'll tackle that tiger later.

Hope I'm not annoying all of the time.

(Speaking of fossil hunts. Have you been to Whiskey Bridge in College Station? Crustaceans & sharks teeth are very close to the surface. It is a huge site. Better yet, if you come to Waco, I will take you on a guided tour of the Mammoth site here: Official Waco Mammoth Site - Waco, Texas)

Back to thread. I really hope that McClennan SO and the surrounding LE agencies migrate to TxWarn P25.

I'll keep you all entertained. I know I am odd!

Ensnared

New TG's Come With Installation

At present, I have identified the following TG's for the new radio system in Woodway:
1; 3; 4; 6; 51; 54. Today, LE units were talking about the lack of building penetration and poor reception problems. It sounds like TG 51 is for LE. But, I am still working on the ID of the users.

Since I am heading home for the holidays, I won't be able to monitor for a few days, but I will be monitoring a new TSY near Midland-Odessa. I will get back to work after the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving.

M_T

The Lacy-Lakeview VHF P-25 TRS has been down for several months. It crashed from interfearance from other VHF frequencies in the area. This TRS system should be back up sometime in December. LLPD, LLFD and TSTC PD use the system with Bellmead PD to join at a later time. As of right now all departments are working on their conventional channles.

Ensnared

Woodway TSY Update

Yesterday, I heard technicians working on the installation. I heard traffic on TG 101. The technician was asking for a radio check. The radio operator indicated they were located at the intersection of Woodlawn & IH 35. I believe they mentioned being near mile marker 315. The transmission was not very clear on TG 101.

Yesterday and today, I heard traffic on TG 6. This seems to be a public works channel, generic. They have talked about: a) fixing a water leak; & b) trimming trees.

The analyze function of my radio has only identified the NAC. The other fields are still blank. Since I am new to this process, I don't know whether or not these TG's will change once they finish installation.

So, I am still working on it.

99% with NAC 481.

Ensnared

Pinball Machine

Last night, this new TSY system exploded with activity. It was like playing pinball. My PSR 500 was going everywhere & I was attempting to pinpoint the locations. Hence, my brain is fried & I am tired. Old age gets to you, ha.

At present, I have identified the following TG's: 1; 3; 4; 6; 51; 54; 101; & 102.

Last night, I was driving around and heard TG 1 come up. First, I heard an unknown LE unit talking on this TG. They stated they were stopping at De Paul here in Waco. When I investigated this, I observed a plain white wrapper with the usual unmarked features (spotlight turned downward, push bar, etc.). Hence, I could not ID the car.

Next, Woodway PD dispatched several units to the HEB on Hewitt Drive using TG1. They were looking for a DUI in that parking lot. Then, the suspect took off & a short pursuit ensued. It ended on Old McGregor road behind the Jack-In-The-Box. I drove by and witnessed the emergency vehicles from a safe distance. EMTC was contacted on this channel and they responded back. To me, the female dispatch sounds like what I've heard on Woodway PD, 155.955.

Several minutes later, I heard a 400 numbered unit say they were at Auto Zone on TG1. So, I drove toward the Auto Zone on Hewitt drive and spotted a Hewitt Black & White sitting there.

Today, I have heard frequent radio checks with reference to "Motorola" and "radio service." They were asking about the volume, echo, and whether they could be heard or not.

This afternoon, when I parked the scanner on TG 51, I heard mostly Hewitt dispatch traffic given the addresses they were using.

Later, I heard Hewitt Fire come on & talk to dispatch. If think they were using TG 54.
It sounded like Hewitt dispatch.

I also heard "Bruceville-Eddy" stating their name and asking for a radio check on TG1.

Initially, I thought this was a Woodway TSY, but now I am having second thoughts.

I have attempted to analyze the system using the soft key on my PSR 500, but the fields beyond 99% and NAC are still blank. When the scanner has stopped on the TG, I have mostly seen 155.31 being displayed. However, 155.73 has been observed as well. The CC loaded on my Pro 2042 still emits the same CC sounds on 155.535.

This seems to be a larger system than I had imagined. In essence, I have heard LE radio traffic on the following TG's: 1; 51; 54; 101; and 102. Now, I have to refine my observations & further discriminate my sources.

It has surely re-directed my usual scanning activity & preferences. If I don't freeze to death, given my thin Texas skin, I might venture out on my bicycle and strap this little bad boy on my side. Then, I can safely watch more activity with Woodway PD since we have already been acquainted.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. Since I don't usually pay attention to unit numbers, I wonder if it would help to activate the radio ID function? I suppose I should have paid more attention to the various unit numbers over the years, but I didn't.

If anyone has access to the officer numbering system for Hewitt, Woodway, etc., I would appreciate this information. Otherwise, I am going to attempt to make a documentation table in Word to assist my scattered mind. LMAO.

As soon as I closed this post, I heard the patrol unit make verbal reference to "Woodway Dispatch" on TG1.

Adios, more later.

Pinball Wizard.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, I can't find much through typical Google search terms, but I bet some of these smaller departments have combined resources into a joint dispatching/communications center. I'll keep looking on this end, but that might be why more than one department is being dispatched on a talkgroup.

I would turn on the radio ids. It's a big help identifying users by their RID grouping (if the radio techs were so nice as to program them in recognizable groups). Sometimes they're nice enough that the officers in-car and HT have RIDs that reflect their unit number (similar to New Braunfels PD LIDs on LCRA's EDACS). Basically, any clue I can get to help me resolve the "big picture" I'll take.

Yeah, it is getting pretty cold around here. Like I said, I'll be in your neck of the woods at the end of this month for a quick dinner with relatives and maybe a fossil hunt (or real hunt if I can swing that), but then I'm on my way up to Van Zandt County. If you would please drop everything you're doing to analyze this system, I'd appreciate it (just kidding).

Ensnared

Dropping Everything For The Cause

Unfortunately, I can't find much through typical Google search terms, but I bet some of these smaller departments have combined resources into a joint dispatching/communications center. I'll keep looking on this end, but that might be why more than one department is being dispatched on a talkgroup.

I would turn on the radio ids. It's a big help identifying users by their RID grouping (if the radio techs were so nice as to program them in recognizable groups). Sometimes they're nice enough that the officers in-car and HT have RIDs that reflect their unit number (similar to New Braunfels PD LIDs on LCRA's EDACS). Basically, any clue I can get to help me resolve the "big picture" I'll take.

Yeah, it is getting pretty cold around here. Like I said, I'll be in your neck of the woods at the end of this month for a quick dinner with relatives and maybe a fossil hunt (or real hunt if I can swing that), but then I'm on my way up to Van Zandt County. If you would please drop everything you're doing to analyze this system, I'd appreciate it (just kidding).

Oh, you're funny. LMAO.

I will go and review how to activate the ID's. Last night, in order to assist the process of identification, I moved the TSY in question to an exclusive scan list.

At this point, I am pretty sure that TG 51 is specific to Hewitt PD.

Now, I can surely get OCD about this stuff, really quick. Since I was trained by a student of B.F. Skinner, I love to collect data.

Now, you can "have a laugh" as Ricky Gervais said on HBO Extras. Today, I am making a Field Observation data sheet to document direct observation of various agencies specific to TG's. I am headed out to the field, so to speak.

My wife likely thinks I should be on Lithium Carbonate, but I can assure you I am neither manic or hypomanic, just driven. Ha. But, know this, I am having great fun doing this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Once you start collecting the data, the trends will elucidate themselves. I use Excel spreadsheets and my smartphone to record the data (which I later put in to Excel). When trying to figure out a talkgroup I'll record unit number, RID (and delineate between an in-car and a mobile if I can tell by the usage/timing), and addresses. I'll also record types of calls. If you notice a talkgroup is all 10-29 checks on a particular stretch of highway, that talkgroup is more than likely for a traffic enforcement program/task force. I also like to right down colloquialisms/phraseology the department likes to use. For example San Marcos PD uses the names "Gary" and "Brown" to refer to the Gary Job Corps and Brown Juvie Center, but in the usage of "would you notify Gary that we have one of their students," it might be difficult to discern until you just record and research often enough to get the bigger picture.

Ensnared

Field Observation Data Sheet

Once you start collecting the data, the trends will elucidate themselves. I use Excel spreadsheets and my smartphone to record the data (which I later put in to Excel). When trying to figure out a talkgroup I'll record unit number, RID (and delineate between an in-car and a mobile if I can tell by the usage/timing), and addresses. I'll also record types of calls. If you notice a talkgroup is all 10-29 checks on a particular stretch of highway, that talkgroup is more than likely for a traffic enforcement program/task force. I also like to right down colloquialisms/phraseology the department likes to use. For example San Marcos PD uses the names "Gary" and "Brown" to refer to the Gary Job Corps and Brown Juvie Center, but in the usage of "would you notify Gary that we have one of their students," it might be difficult to discern until you just record and research often enough to get the bigger picture.

I have identified several things on this sheet: TG; time; date; Dispatch gender in case I misidentify the group; dispatch to mobile; C/C talk channels; service & vehicle number emitted over the air.

Yes, I can surely see a pattern starting to develop. I've not changed the radio show radio ID yet, but when I stop writing this, I will do that. Hopefully, I can isolate who uses each TG.

Last night, two more TG's appeared: 55; and 52, but all I heard was someone keying up the microphone, no voice. I think this was the radio technician. Still hearing those radio checks.

Lately, due to recent "more interesting" radio traffic that I love to catch, I have only monitored during the evening. But, the source of this traffic dies down on the weekend, if you get my drift. I will monitor during the day on Saturday and Sunday.

Ensnared

Win500 Changes Radio ID

In Win500, I checked, show radio ID's for group calls. Since I also looked at the settings, I checked, "enable flex step."

So, when Woodway TG 1 appeared, the number 07725 showed up in a larger font. This number was displayed for both transmissions, dispatch & mobile.

But, when the TxWarn P25 & McClennan County analog systems were activated, by comparison, it showed a radio ID for the mobile unit (Radio ID: xxxx) and a larger number when dispatch talked.

Since I am new to this ID function, I am going to go and read more about what these numbers mean in forums and the internet.

But, I am making an assumption regarding the new TSY. Since the system has nothing showing in the fields following 99% & NAC, I gather this is because the radio system has not been fully installed. I guess they assign the SID number & radio ID's after the installation.

I am also wondering whether LE agencies check their radios in after each shift. If so, then the radio ID might not be specific to the user unless they got the same radio each time or they had to log in to the radio using a password. Again, I am speaking out loud here.

After reviewing this forum, I see where it can depend on agency, HH or vehicle. If a person keeps the same HH or car, the radio ID might be exclusive to the user. Interesting.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/108858-radio-ids-posting-guidelines.html

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Usually having the same RID is indicative of a "link" whether that be a patch or a VoIP link to another system.

Ensnared said:
Since the system has nothing showing in the fields following 99% & NAC, I gather this is because the radio system has not been fully installed. I guess they assign the SID number & radio ID's after the installation.

I'm no programmer but as far as I understand these values must be input before the "system" is operational. It must show some SysID and all radios will have an RID to affiliate with the system. That being said, as far as I know, duplicate RIDs are possible. Where I'm less experienced is with single frequency P25 "trunking" systems. I'm not sure how the GREs would handle displaying that information. I've never encountered one so I haven't had a need to look. I bet more info can be gleaned here on RR.

As you stated about RIDs changing- that varies with department policy. New Braunfels PD retains their cars and handhelds, and as I mentioned previously, corresponds the LIDs with the officer's unit number. San Marcos PD traded cars, but not handhelds, and referred to officers by their district+number rather than their unit number. This made mapping the San Marcos PD very difficult, but with persistence (see: many months of scanning) I was able to figure it out.

Are you hearing nothing on the other frequencies licensed?

Ensnared

Latest Observations

Usually having the same RID is indicative of a "link" whether that be a patch or a VoIP link to another system.

I'm no programmer but as far as I understand these values must be input before the "system" is operational. It must show some SysID and all radios will have an RID to affiliate with the system. That being said, as far as I know, duplicate RIDs are possible. Where I'm less experienced is with single frequency P25 "trunking" systems. I'm not sure how the GREs would handle displaying that information. I've never encountered one so I haven't had a need to look. I bet more info can be gleaned here on RR.

As you stated about RIDs changing- that varies with department policy. New Braunfels PD retains their cars and handhelds, and as I mentioned previously, corresponds the LIDs with the officer's unit number. San Marcos PD traded cars, but not handhelds, and referred to officers by their district+number rather than their unit number. This made mapping the San Marcos PD very difficult, but with persistence (see: many months of scanning) I was able to figure it out.

Are you hearing nothing on the other frequencies licensed?

I have two TSY's loaded for the system: a) one with the combined frequencies for Woodway's Fire and PD. Some of these frequencies overlap with Hewitt and other LE agencies; b) one loaded with a single CC, 155.535.

When I scan, the TSY loaded with all of the frequencies listed in the FCC DB for Woodway Fire and PD, is the one that catches the Wildcards, not the one with the CC alone.

Last night, I heard them asking for radio checks on what they referred to as "1", TG 101. They were near the 323 mile marker, near Rosenthal in Robinson, and up near Bellmead and MLK & IH35 asking for checks. I heard two mobile units talking about hearing an electronic R2D2 sound when they were breaking up. They talked about the radios bottoming out when they drove into low lying areas. It sounded like they were collecting observations to report to the radio technician.

Furthermore, I heard them called TG 1 as, "Woodway 1" & an abbreviation I could not discern. It started out with a "W." I will continue to monitor & refine.

I might add that Woodway PD has never sounded so crisp and clear. A significant increase in volume has been observed. Again, I am pretty certain that TG 51 is Hewitt PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.