wooster pd, 155.55 is this encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

I have programmed in 155.55 for wooster pd.

I hear data going across this freq when I'm around wooster.

Its different than other data (mdt's, etc.) As it sounds like someone is keying up a mic w/ data responses to data w/ similar pauses in transmission as a voice conversation.

Anybody have ideas?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I know some older radios transmit a "data burst" with every transmission sending either a radio ID number or a tone to access a repeater or relay station. Could this be what you are hearing?

dizwiz

I know some older radios transmit a "data burst" with every transmission sending either a radio ID number or a tone to access a repeater or relay station. Could this be what you are hearing?

I don't think so. if so, It covers up the voice entirely.

Sounds kinda (not 100% though) like a fax machine.

Again
I would have figured it'd be a data channel, mdt, etc.

However it seems like voice due to the random cutoff, mic key noises, and data answering data. It follows the pattern of a conversation.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Are you saying that you are never hearing an in-the-clear analog audio transmission? Just trying to clarify if you ever hear clearly identifiable speech on it.

Mike

dizwiz

Are you saying that you are never hearing an in-the-clear analog audio transmission? Just trying to clarify if you ever hear clearly identifiable speech on it.

Mike

thats correct, ive never heard identifiable speech on it.

The only other thing Ive heard on it is the 'morse code'. Which Im assuming is freq. identification as req'd by FCC (if i understand that right).

Also, I am not within range of this at my home.

This is when Im driving by it (heading south on I-77S). However, there are at least 4 driving instances (over the past 2 months) when Ive been within range of this site and been hearing communications through it.

Not once were any in the clear.

N8IAA

Its different than other data (mdt's, etc.) As it sounds like someone is keying up a mic w/ data responses to data w/ similar pauses in transmission as a voice conversation.

Anybody have ideas?

What kind of receiver are you using? Can you set PL for the frequency? Being that you are driving down the interstate, you may be hearing pager towers. If you can set attenuation on the frequency, it may help also.
HTH,
Larry

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Anybody have ideas?

I've heard rumors that Wooster and Wayne County were switching to either MotoTRBO or NXDN, so that might be what you're hearing.

dizwiz

I've heard rumors that Wooster and Wayne County were switching to either MotoTRBO or NXDN, so that might be what you're hearing.

What is the advantage of those? Still a single freq system?

Are those scannable by any scanner?

If not, then its essentially encryption!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
What is the advantage of those? Still a single freq system?

Are those scannable by any scanner?

If not, then its essentially encryption!

They can be either trunked or conventional. They are digital emissions. They allow for better efficiency because they can have two channels of audio [or data, or one of each] occupying the same spectrum that a single analog repeater will occupy.

Neither are monitorable with a scanner. Both require special software to monitor. I don't know about NXDN, but TRBO can be unencrypted or one of two variations of privacy [encryption]. But you're right -- if you can't monitor it with a scanner and do not have what it takes to decode it using a computer, it might as well be encrypted :)

Search the forums for DSD. That is a software app that will allow one to listen to an NXDN or TRBO repeater, if the transmissions aren't encrypted. There are some prerequisites that need to be met if you even want to try DSD. Any further discussion about DSD probably should be asked /answered in the following forum:

Digital Voice Decoding Software - The RadioReference.com Forums

Mike

photopro

Wooster PD 155.550 is this encrypted?

I have Wooster PD at 155.550 on my PRO-94 and all I hear is voice communications in Wadsworth Ohio.

pete8528

not encrypted

if you over on 77 trying to listen to Wooster your probably hearing something else. there is a PL but you can scan it on a regular scanner on 155.550, im surprised you can even hear it in Wadsworth from previous post. Also, Wayne Co / Wooster is not going to any other system. Just following the narrowbanding procedures. but not in place yet.

dizwiz

Ok. I was in massilon (closer to wooster) and getting the same computer signals across this freq.

Unless wooster is a really weak station, I'm confident that wooster pd is something other than conventional analog voice.

photopro

well dizwiz all I know is that I get the dispatch and patrol cars like they're right out side my door. And I'm in Wadsworth.And it's always voice.

dizwiz

Ok ill try again when I pass by wadsworth on i76/224.

I don't know if that's close enough its just peculiar.

I know kent's vhf system reaches out 30 miles away from the city. (I start picking it up around sevillel

You would have thought I would have been in range of wooster pd in massilon, but perhaps not.

I'm trying to listen on a psr500

dizwiz

OK. Ive finally figured out the deal here.

There is underlying data that is also being transmitted along with the voice.

The data can be picked up from a further distance away from Wooster than the voice.

I noticed this driving in the 76/224 Wadsworth area that I could here (faintly) a datastream accompanying and then cutting off when the voice cut off.

So I could hear the voice (albeit faintly in that wadsworth area).

This was the closest geographical point I was to Wooster.

Once I got further away, the only thing I could here was the data stream.

Very odd. Im listening on psr500. Maybe my antenna (which is designed for 800 MHz) has something to do with the way Im picking it up.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
About two weeks ago, I was hearing someone transmitting in MOTOTRBO digital mode on 155.550 MHz, from here in Michigan. Since the signal was weak at only S-2, I concluded that it had to be someone out in the distance, maybe down in Ohio. This especially true of the fact there was some ducting taking place across Lake Erie that night.

73's

Ron

dr400

While I can't tell you what the digital transmission is, I can tell you I've heard it for several years. The Ohio County WV Sheriff's department was on 155.55 until going on the WV trunked system. So when driving US 30 and other roads in the Canton-Orrville-Wooster area I would have to turn off 155.55.

Never heard any voice, just the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.