Worcester/ Ocean City

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you guys using to monitor the new system? anyone using BCD436? I'll be in OC around labor day and was wondering if there were any tips to get the most out of my 436 with its known simulcast system issues.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What are you guys using to monitor the new system? anyone using BCD436? I'll be in OC around labor day and was wondering if there were any tips to get the most out of my 436 with its known simulcast system issues.
Let us know how it works out, but your 436 should be OK with the OC system, but might have issues with the Worcester Co system.

emtLarmy15

I would actually think the opposite (I haven’t actually monitored OC much through my 536) but with only one site up north (MSP Berlin barrack) and I think 4 total sites in OC I would think you’d see more simulcast issues listening on the OC side up north. Down south when I am between the towers I do note some simulcast distortion but it’s not too bad

Thanks for the replies. I will be spending most of my monitoring time down near the inlet. In years past I have had an de-sense problem from one of the micro site cell towers being extremely close to where I stay. I couldn't receive the EDACS system at all with my 436. I generally only monitor OC Fire so the VHF rebroadcast works with no issue.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
I was able to listen to the new system just long enough to confirm it was working last summer on a 436 and 536, didn't seem to have p25 simulcast issues (I've seen them before the 536 and 436 act like theres no signal at all). I didn't listen enough to really form an opinion yet as there where alot of patches up and I prefer to listen to the real system because well, we can haha. I do remeber listening to some bus drivers chatting in an individual call and was able to follow the conversation. There's a few threads in the forum dedicated to that system you might want to check out.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I will be spending most of my monitoring time down near the inlet. In years past I have had an de-sense problem from one of the micro site cell towers being extremely close to where I stay. I couldn't receive the EDACS system at all with my 436. I generally only monitor OC Fire so the VHF rebroadcast works with no issue.

The new OC system is in the 700 Mhz band, so maybe it will be better for you. I never had a problem with 800 on the EDACS system however, even with my 436. The SDS100 works great.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I would actually think the opposite (I haven’t actually monitored OC much through my 536) but with only one site up north (MSP Berlin barrack) and I think 4 total sites in OC I would think you’d see more simulcast issues listening on the OC side up north. Down south when I am between the towers I do note some simulcast distortion but it’s not too bad
I know that when I used to own my 436, reception coming from Wicomico into Worcester, reception of the new Worcester system was spotty. Not really simulcast distortion, but a generally weak signal compared to FiRST which was always steady and strong in comparison. The 436 seemed pretty good with OC's 700 system, but not a huge amount of traffic to judge it by at that point in time. The north and south tower sites in the OC system are not particularly tall, so I'd think that the radio is receiving the 65th St site most of the time.

KR3E

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a suggestion for a (relatively) inexpensive hand-held scanner than can handle the OC/Worcester P25 system? My old Pro-96 just doesn't hack it now that the cut-over is final.

emtLarmy15

Google phase 2 scanner. All the unidens seem to do relatively fine on Worcester. I can’t speak for any whistlers you may still find. If you only want to listen to Worcester/OC you may be best served by a unication g4.

KR3E

Premium Subscriber
Google phase 2 scanner. All the unidens seem to do relatively fine on Worcester. I can’t speak for any whistlers you may still find. If you only want to listen to Worcester/OC you may be best served by a unication g4.

Thanks. I travel to NYC and Florida so I'd like to be able to also hear NYPD and FDNY (easy, since they're on ancient systems) and some PD and Fire/EMS in Florida. So, I'm guessing that a BCD 325 or 436 is what I need.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
I'm having very good luck with the uniden 436 & 536 for wc/oc & firstnet. If I were buying new and didn't mind the money id try the sds100. Built in gps on the handheld would be nice. I set up my fav lists as a state then use location from there to only scan what I'm in range of, makes scanning easy. Simulcast distortion does not seem to be an issue on either system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm having very good luck with the uniden 436 & 536 for wc/oc & firstnet. If I were buying new and didn't mind the money id try the sds100. Built in gps on the handheld would be nice. I set up my fav lists as a state then use location from there to only scan what I'm in range of, makes scanning easy. Simulcast distortion does not seem to be an issue on either system.
When you wrote "firstnet," I think you mean Maryland's statewide system aka "First." Firstnet is a dedicated public safety wireless data and voice network that cannot be "scanned."

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
When you wrote "firstnet," I think you mean Maryland's statewide system aka "First." Firstnet is a dedicated public safety wireless data and voice network that cannot be "scanned."
Haha Yes sorry for the confusion I was refering to Maryland's Statewide radio system I think they call it "First Responder's Network" I call it firstnet in my head for short.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Does anyone have the scanner tables/slots for the Ocean City TRS simulcast system? TDMA/FDMA, base freq, channel spacing, etc?

Mr_Boh

From our online database - for future ref, just go to the top blue toolbar and click on DATABASE

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9796

Mike

Mike - I think he’s looking for the specific band plan table. I noticed Ocean City’s is non standard (seems to be that way with Harris systems). I have a band plan for Harris systems but not sure if it works for Ocean City. Instead of 6.25kHz steps they are typically 12.5kHz steps with a base freq of 856.1

Certain software (and potentially scanners too) will force Control Channel Only but will still look for the channels based on the Motorola band plan and not Harris.

Best way to confirm would be someone to get in range with Pro96Com and share.

Status
Not open for further replies.