Worcester P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Just returned to scanning with my PSR-500 from a long absence. After receiving no transmissions from either WPD or WFD for over an hour, I began to get suspicious that something had changed. Database info here says that Worcester Public Safety has gone to a P25 Phase II system. Does that render my PSR-500 useless to receive their signals?

gordon115

My understanding is that most of the talk groups are phase 1.

Make sure you have the system type set to P25 in your settings; it is no longer an analog system. The talk groups have also changed you will need to program the new TG's as the old analog ones are no longer used. If you haven't used the radio for a long time it may still be set up for the old analog system.

Can you hear the control channel?

Lastly, the new P25 system doesn't use the Paxton site which was the highest transmitter site for the old system this has significantly reduced the area of coverage. I used to be able to hear the old system well here in the Boston area that is no longer possible with the new system.

Gordon

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gordon. I was never adept at manually programming the 500 and the last time I did it I used the service from this site to provide the correct frequencies and then the program PSR-500 Edit to upload them to the radio. If I simply enter the control channel frequency, would I hear anything at all?

gordon115

If you are in range of the system you will hear the data signal when you program the active control channel into the radio as a P25 channel. Data signal sounds similar to a diesel engine it transmits continuously. If the system you downloaded was the old analog system you will need to download the new P25 system to update settings, frequencies, talk groups etc. Might as well delete the old system since it doesn't exist anymore, you won't hear anything when monitoring it.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Understood. I hate to update my subscription to get the needed info to later find out my radio won't pick the transmission, but I guess there is no other way.

From what we can see on this site, do you believe the control channel is 769.00625?

garys

Premium Subscriber
No, they reused the 800 frequencies from the old system. Go to scan-ne.net and you'll find all the information you need.

Understood. I hate to update my subscription to get the needed info to later find out my radio won't pick the transmission, but I guess there is no other way.

From what we can see on this site, do you believe the control channel is 769.00625?

DoubleMDouble9

Premium Subscriber
I need help big time!

Hi folks, I was wondering if someone could help me out with Massachusetts p25 programming. I have tried every thing but nothing is working. I'm using a BCD996P2 and programming it with Arc-xt Pro. I have updated the radio's to the latest firmware and I have downloaded the p25 systems via ARC from the RR website yet I still can't hear anything. I have even tried to program all the 800 frequencies to a conventional system just to see if i could find the CC. I live in the Rutland area and the old Moto system comes in loud and clear. But now that Worcester abandon the EDACs system I would like to be able listen in. If some one could help me out I and point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

gordon115

Hi folks, I was wondering if someone could help me out with Massachusetts p25 programming. I have tried every thing but nothing is working. I'm using a BCD996P2 and programming it with Arc-xt Pro. I have updated the radio's to the latest firmware and I have downloaded the p25 systems via ARC from the RR website yet I still can't hear anything. I have even tried to program all the 800 frequencies to a conventional system just to see if i could find the CC. I live in the Rutland area and the old Moto system comes in loud and clear. But now that Worcester abandon the EDACs system I would like to be able listen in. If some one could help me out I and point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

First, make sure you have programmed the correct system. You want site 36 "Worcester Simulcast" system on the Mass. P25 system page. You need to program both the frequencies and the Worcester talk groups. From your location Worcester is the only site you are likely to hear on the P25 system so no need to program the other sites unless you are planning on traveling around the state.

Next enter the 4 control and alternate control channels as P25 conventional frequencies and see if you can hear the control channel data signal, you are most likely to hear it on 858.1375 which is primary control channel. If you can't hear the data signal you are out of range. The new P25 system doesn't use the Paxton site which was the highest transmitter site for the old EDACS system this has significantly reduced the area of coverage. I used to be able to hear the old system well here in the Boston area; that is no longer possible with the new system.

If you are using the back of set antenna try moving the radio to other locations in the house to see if reception improves. Higher locations are better and the side of the house that faces Worcester may also help. For best 800 reception collapse the antenna down so only 1 or 2 sections are extended. When using the back of set antenna moving the radio can make a big difference in reception for all bands; you have to find what works best through trial and error.

Good luck,

Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.