Work Ham Satellites with Just Your HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I worked Mir, the Shuttles, an ISS with just a handheld. It's easier than most people think.

No bits were harmed in the posting of this message.

clintbradford

You tell 'em, Gene! (grin)

Sometimes, when I tell groups that they can work a "station" that is more than 500 miles away with an HT turned DOWN to 1-2W and a little handheld antenna, I get "looks" ...

Clint

Fast1eddie

Guys, thank you for rekindling my interest in SATCOM. After reviewing equipment on hand, I am pretty much operational except for a decent antenna. For now, my discone will have to do. That and determining a pass schedule of what I would like to monitor, and eventually try to work once I get my HT properly programmed.

Good Signals,

ed N3KEX

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
There's plenty of tracking sites online.. Or you can download software to track with.. Just make sure you're using the right split (V/V V/U U/U) and have a ball.

All of my contacts were in the 3 watt range with an RH77C antenna on my HT..

You can hear the ISS side of my contact with Col. Doug Wheelock when he was on ISS here: NA1SS (Col. Doug Wheelock) working U.S. Stations on 01 September 2010 at 2355 UTC | ISS Fan Club I don't remember how far into the file I am.. But I am there. Note you'll only hear the ISS side of the conversation.

clintbradford

Discones by design are not going to provide a pleasant satellite listening experience: ZERO (or little) gain.

Build yourself a tape measure beam - 10 or 15 bucks in parts - and experience the world of high gain!

Plans for these on the ANTENNAS page at mu Web site.

And for tracking? Plenty of apps - and FREE online sources - cited on the TRACKING page!

As a matter of fact - ALL info you need to work a couple birds in the next few days in on that site!

Clint K6LCS
K6LCS Shows You How to Work Amateur Radio Satellites - With Minimal Equipment!

Status
Not open for further replies.