Working ISS via ham raido

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyboy

Working ISS via ham radio

Anybody got any tips or general info for working the ISS via ham radio? For either when it is in packet or voice mode.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you check the ARISS website (which is on the SATCOM wiki) or, on occasion, the ARRL website has such articles (in fact, once again, the SATCOM wiki has a link on how to work the station when the astronauts set the Kenwood up as a repeater - you can bet that with the current schedule, while the shuttle is docked, that it will either be in digipeat or repeater mode)? Lots of information is out there. 73s Mike

crazyboy

What is the uplink for the repeater on the iss? I have read the articles on amsat I was just looking for tips.

W8OSP

ISS is in digipeat mode as of right now, also pcsat2 is active.
145.800 RX
145.990 TX ISS digi peat mode.

Also depends on what equipment you are using. As for just a tnc with radio and computer.
tnc should be set up as..
unproto- cq via rs0iss-3,sgate,wide
in converse mode to send message... :all :hello
:all------: ther should be 9 spaces between the semi colons or all and 6 spaces.
or a call sign and spaces that will add up to 9 spaces.

on a th-d7 kenwood
set uproto to:
apk002
packet path:
reley,wide,ariss
msg group:
all,qst,cq,kwd,*
buad:

If ya need anymore help let me know.

i use th-d7 ht
laptop with packet engine pro and uiss software, or winpack software.
orbitron as tracking software.
also i use aprs also.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Clearly, you have not read the ARRL article; it tells you all about what is necessary; uplink freqs, what is Doppler shifting, and so on.

Working the ISS in repeater mode is only possible when the astronauts command the Kenwood into that mode - I don't know whether they've done that yet or not. More than likely the Kenwood is probably in digipeat mode.

I know of at least 1 ham that's worked the ISS with an Arrow antenna and a HT; and another, a well known MT writer, has done it using his mobile 2m radio during a high pass.
So it can be done with relatviely simple equipment. 73s Mike

crazyboy

I'm not going to be able to use the digipeater because I have no way to hook my radio to my computer. Thanks a lot though, I'll get back to you once I can use the digipeater. I guess I'll just listen for a while. Where can I find out what mode the ISS is currently in?

crazyboy

ka3jjz said:
Clearly, you have not read the ARRL article; it tells you all about what is necessary; uplink freqs, what is Doppler shifting, and so on.

Working the ISS in repeater mode is only possible when the astronauts command the Kenwood into that mode - I don't know whether they've done that yet or not. More than likely the Kenwood is probably in digipeat mode.

I know of at least 1 ham that's worked the ISS with an Arrow antenna and a HT; and another, a well known MT writer, has done it using his mobile 2m radio during a high pass.
So it can be done with relatviely simple equipment. 73s Mike

I read the article, I don't remember all the freqs off the top of my head sorry. I have since looked them up, thanks for your help.

W8OSP

Its in digipeat mode now.
you can veiw whos going threw iss at this link. http://ariss.net/index.cgi?absolute=1
i have worked iss with packet, aprs, pcsat2, a051 sat. i havent made iss voice contact yet but someday i will. i have the arrow antenna aswell.

Also if you read my post about... good time to be into amateur radio.
Its goina be a great summer and fall for working ISS, and the new upcoming sats.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would guess that W8OSP answered that question pretty well. I would always keep an eye on the AMSAT and ARISS websites for up to date news, as well as the ISS fan club site. The SATCOM wiki where these links can be found is here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/SATCOM

I would bet that the Kenwood will stay in digipeat mode for awhile; from what I understand the astronauts have got their hands full for the next several days. But you never know, one of them might decide to send a CQ down....73s Mike

W8OSP

Yes this website ( http://www.issfanclub.com/ ) is great for information about ISS.
ariss.net
issfanclub.com
arrl.com
and the wiki here should be enough information to get ya started.
I love working packet and sat's. ive made close to 90 qso's via packet, 30 some confirmed.(states)
Maybe i will be able to get my WAS from packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.