• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Working MacOS X 10.11 CHIRP config for Yaesu VX-3R

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdhowe

Premium Subscriber
Given the challenges many MacOS El Capitan folks have associated with getting CHIRP to program their handheld transceivers and scanner because of the requirements for Apple signed drivers and for "real" 2303 USB to serial cables, I thought I would post a configuration that I have working successfully.

Environment: MacOS X 10.11.5 on 2012 Macbook Pro retina
Transceiver: Yaesu VX-3R
Cable: Farmunion Usb Programming Cable for Yaesu Vertex Vx-3r, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XL3EYB4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Driver: mac-usb-serial.com, PL-2303 Driver (V2.5.1) for El Capitan; yes, it costs Euro7.47, but it seems to be worth it; I wasn't able to make any other driver work.
Chirp version: MacOS X chirp-daily-20160625.app

1. You should be sure to remove conflicting PL-2303 drivers from Prolific or Winchiphead before installing the mac-usb-serial.com version. Then run the PL-2303 Driver installer you got from mac-usb-serial.com.

2. Once you've installed the driver and connected up the USB cable to the radio mic/headphone port on the top, you have to place the VX-3R into "Clone" mode by holding down the F/R key while pressing the Power button. The radio should read "Clone"

3. Launch Chirp. You'll get a blank screen.

4. Select "Download from Radio" from the "Radio Menu"

5. You should now see a port listed that looks something like /dev/cu.Repleo-PL2303-0000xxxx. Select that from the Port pulldown. Also select Yaesu as your Vendor and VX-3 as your model. Hit OK.

6. Now go to your radio and hit the "Band" button. You should now see the Radio say -- TX --.

7. After about a minute, CHIRP should now show the memories on your radio. You can now edit those as you like and then upload them back to the radio.

8. To upload your modified memories to the radio, select "Upload to Radio" from the Radio menu in CHIRP. Do not hit OK yet.

9. Your VX-3R should still be in Clone mode. If it isn't, turn it off and restart it by holding down F/R and hitting the Power button.

10. Hit the VX-3R V/M button, and the Radio should now say "-- RX --" on its display.

11. Hit the OK button on the Radio dialog box you pulled up in Step 8. CHIRP should now show progress in cloning to the radio.

12. Your radio should now be programmed.

One final thing. Should you want to pull frequency lists into CHIRP from RadioReference.com, you have to do a couple more things:

1. Get a Premium subscription to RadioReference.com; Web interface frequency lists are only available to premium subscribers.
2. Install the SUDS library onto your Mac using the following command:

sudo easy_install -z suds

3. Restart CHIRP.

You should now be able to either Query or Import frequency lists from RadioReference.com

I hope this saves someone else the day or two I spent figuring out this combination.

N2AL

Given the challenges many MacOS El Capitan folks have associated with getting CHIRP to program their handheld transceivers and scanner because of the requirements for Apple signed drivers and for "real" 2303 USB to serial cables, I thought I would post a configuration that I have working successfully.

Environment: MacOS X 10.11.5 on 2012 Macbook Pro retina

Transceiver: Yaesu VX-3R

Cable: Farmunion Usb Programming Cable for Yaesu Vertex Vx-3r, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XL3EYB4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Driver: mac-usb-serial.com, PL-2303 Driver (V2.5.1) for El Capitan; yes, it costs Euro7.47, but it seems to be worth it; I wasn't able to make any other driver work.

Chirp version: MacOS X chirp-daily-20160625.app

1. You should be sure to remove conflicting PL-2303 drivers from Prolific or Winchiphead before installing the mac-usb-serial.com version. Then run the PL-2303 Driver installer you got from mac-usb-serial.com.

2. Once you've installed the driver and connected up the USB cable to the radio mic/headphone port on the top, you have to place the VX-3R into "Clone" mode by holding down the F/R key while pressing the Power button. The radio should read "Clone"

3. Launch Chirp. You'll get a blank screen.

4. Select "Download from Radio" from the "Radio Menu"

5. You should now see a port listed that looks something like /dev/cu.Repleo-PL2303-0000xxxx. Select that from the Port pulldown. Also select Yaesu as your Vendor and VX-3 as your model. Hit OK.

6. Now go to your radio and hit the "Band" button. You should now see the Radio say -- TX --.

7. After about a minute, CHIRP should now show the memories on your radio. You can now edit those as you like and then upload them back to the radio.

8. To upload your modified memories to the radio, select "Upload to Radio" from the Radio menu in CHIRP. Do not hit OK yet.

9. Your VX-3R should still be in Clone mode. If it isn't, turn it off and restart it by holding down F/R and hitting the Power button.

10. Hit the VX-3R V/M button, and the Radio should now say "-- RX --" on its display.

11. Hit the OK button on the Radio dialog box you pulled up in Step 8. CHIRP should now show progress in cloning to the radio.

12. Your radio should now be programmed.

One final thing. Should you want to pull frequency lists into CHIRP from RadioReference.com, you have to do a couple more things:

1. Get a Premium subscription to RadioReference.com; Web interface frequency lists are only available to premium subscribers.

2. Install the SUDS library onto your Mac using the following command:

sudo easy_install -z suds

3. Restart CHIRP.

You should now be able to either Query or Import frequency lists from RadioReference.com

I hope this saves someone else the day or two I spent figuring out this combination.

Looks like a great tutorial! As a Mac user I say thanks!

I use CHIRP often. When I am unable to use CHIRP, I fire up VMware and utilize the Windows software for whatever hardware I am programming. I installed Windows 7 for BootCamp, bought a product key, and boot the BootCamp up in VMware while simultaneously using OS X.

Thanks for the information, and 73.

Andrew | N2AL
www.n4awl.com

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is definitely something that needs to be captured for future use - the CHIRP website has its own wiki, and that's probably the best place for something like this...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.