Working on the Railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrak

I have been surveying bridges on the railroad for about a month now for UPRR. We are required to have a flagmen present and a radio with us at all times but the railroad does not always have enough radios to give the flagmen so I said I could program one of my radios to work. Does the railroad use a repeater system? I am guessing they are on VHF from what I have seen in the database, if they do not use a repeater system is it simplex and then transmitted over the phone lines or how does it work?

Astrak

Ok so everything is rebroadcast on microwave, so for my radio to work all I need is the frequency and it should transmit to anyone on that frequency.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Yup just program all the road channels (like 45 or so I think) into the radio and you're all set! All of VHF stuff gets microwaved back to Omaha to UPRR dispatch.

Everything is simplex and CSQ that I've ever found.

Stay safe.

( of course I hope you've thought of the legal implications of having your own radio in the event an accident would occur. Such things as if it fails who is to blame, UP, or you? Be careful. )

Astrak

I will probably be selling the radio to Tucson division of the UP or to the flagger.

Astrak

Ok radio worked perfectly, I was able to communicate with the flagger and trains coming into the area. Thanks for all the info I programmed every frequency I knew for the Tucson area and sold the radio to the flagger for $100.00 I don't know what he plans to do with it but he seemed happy to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.