Working with TxWARN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgrahmann

Premium Subscriber
** PREFACE: Before I get hassled or shot down for this, I am a LE agency employee and DO have permission to use a radio on the TxWARN system **

Hi, everyone, just looking for a nudge in the right direction; the agency I work for uses XTS2500's for service & other communications. I just bought one of my own and am looking for anyone who's programmed one to a TxWARN system before. Yes, I know I've opened a can of worms, etc. But I like a challenge :)

Thanks!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I would contact the RNOC and work with them. They will have to issue you a radio ID and can advise on any other questions you may have. And you'll need to have a system key for 1A7.

Or get with with whomever programs radios for your agency and work through them.

I know neither of these responses are the answers you wanted, but when someone's life depends on a radio you can't take programming lightly.

Last edited:

iamhere300

The counties around Harris have someone assigned to program radios on the system, assign ID's, etc. For instance, in Waller it was a dispatcher for quite a while, now a deputy when the dispatcher went on to greener pastures. In Austin it is a LT in the SO. In Harris, the Harris county radio shop will do it. If you need help PM me

Last edited:

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like your hunting for someone lol..

and am looking for anyone who's programmed one to a TxWARN system before.

I hope no one else here-unless authorized has programmed it for affiliation like you want, idk how many system users have a radioreference account. Sounds like your hunting for someone lol..

I posted on here that I programmed my 3000 for my cities trunked system, and If I recall correctly I was told just by saying I made a key for it myself I was breaking the law. Despite that it was a non-affiliate scan, I still had to create a key.

I myself believe if you truly had access you would get it programmed by your city/county radio shop or something of that sort, especially since you'll need to have your own ID issued to you.

I strongly agree with KevinC.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Are you wanting to scan/receive only or to talk? Are you wanting access to encrypted groups? If to talk or enc, obviously you would have to have official notice from the agency for your own safety should anyone get upset.

Texas law allows radio reception, which is a basic human right, despite what some in government might want to say about "authorized scanning."

Sec. 16.02. UNLAWFUL INTERCEPTION, USE, OR DISCLOSURE OF WIRE, ORAL, OR ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS.
{snip}
(b) A person commits an offense if the person:
{snip}
(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection (b) that:
{snip}
(8) a person intercepts radio communication, other than a cordless telephone communication that is transmitted between a cordless telephone handset and a base unit, that is transmitted:
(A) by a station for the use of the general public;
(B) to ships, aircraft, vehicles, or persons in distress;
(C) by a governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile, or public safety communications system that is readily accessible to the general public, unless the radio communication is transmitted by a law enforcement representative to or from a mobile data terminal;
(D) by a station operating on an authorized frequency within the bands allocated to the amateur, citizens band, or general mobile radio services; or
(E) by a marine or aeronautical communications system;

Obviously, this does not cover the topic of encryption.

Amazing how worked up people want to get over a simple act of making sense of your environment.

Anyways your struggle here without having a note of authorization is that it is against federal code for dealers to program radios unless the person holds a valid license for the frequencies, and big boss /\/\ highly regulates the control and use of their programming software. That said, your governmental agency consciously decided to spend our taxdollars to promulgate the influence of /\/\ in our country, so that's where we are. A true interoperability standard would require open source programming that is interchangeable and free to obtain to the extent that is allowed by the FCC rules. Heaven forbid someone program their own radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.