Workman suction cup antennas any good? using for milcom?

Is this antenna worth bothering with?

• Yes, not a bad deal for the price

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • dont even waste your money if its on sale %50 off

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilCommer82

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1820.html

I am on a very tight budget, for the time being I am wondering if anyone thinks this antenna is worth it. I am using a BC250d and I am monitoring strictly milcom and airbands. Eventually I would like to move into a better one but for now, this seems better then the rubber duck I have, and for abotu $8 might be worth it, I am not expectign to reach 100 mile transmissions, I live about 10 miles from a military base, and would like to at least pick up the tower (no luck on that right now.

I live in an apartment so putting a antenna outside is out of the question. figured id see if anyone knows anything bout this. let me know.

Thanks for the help in advance

Grivo

I saw that antenna in the Universal catalog too. It looks exactly like the antenna we use on our dashcams to pick up our body mics. It seems to work pretty well for this (169-172mhz) but I've never hooked it up to my bc246.
I have to work tomorrow night and should have time to play with a scanner. I will post my results early Sunday.

okccsi

I used these for a long time. They are the same ones as they package in Uniden scanner boxes. They work fairly well, butnot that great for 800mhz. I was only 10 miles away from a Type II system and had a hard time picking everything up. This was connected to a BCT8. Now, in my house I ran like 5 of them at one time all lined up next to each other on the window.

I got a bit better reception on some 800mhz systems closer to my home, but still not what I wanted.

They work greatfor 512 and below. A little static hear and there, but definitely usable. I have a bunch of these laying around. I will PM you and send you one for free to try. If you don't like it, you can send it back.

OKC CSI

TooLate

Workman suction cup antennas

Yep...used them for years. Great for covert listening (no attention drawn to vehicle). Have one in each car (mini-van, Camry). I made one and got the other off eBay. Must say, the homemade one is a little better...larger coax conductor. Just cut the insulation and shield off about 3 feet of coax (RG-58 in my case) (leave the center conductor insulation)...believe the total length of coax is about 11 feet with about 3 feet "exposed" but have the purists here verify that (it's been years since I did it and it's too late today to go measure it). Get the suction cups at any craft department or WMrt 1-1.5 in diam. If they don't have holes across the back of them, use a hot nail or needle or small drill to make them. Slide one down to where the "full" coax begins and one at the end of the thinned coax.

On the van, I ran it along the passenger side windshield ("bare strip" of coax), and across the top edge held in place by the headliner and B Pillar plastic housing...use care if airbag equipped, I'm told. Used a popsickle stick to gently poke the skinny end into discretion behind the plastic of the headliner/B Pillar. Stuck one sxn cup in the lower corner and one where ever it terminate across the top and then routed the rest of the line along the dash/kickpanel, floor mat (your choice) to the scanner...again, caution with airbags..."g e n t l e" poking. The skinnier ones you see (that someone is sending you) is easier since it's smaller in diameter.

On the Camry, the skinny strip fits vertically along the length of the B Pillar...probably could use some more shield removed but it's a marginal improvement. Didn't poke around the BPillar as it's airbag equipped...so it's a little more visable (use a black perm. marker to shade the white insulation if you need to). Works quite well for the amount of equipment required.

I hear base tx 40-60 miles and car to car 12 miles away as someone stated 512 and below including VHF-lo in both HH and standard mobile/base types in the car.

Not quite as good as my old center loaded exterior mag mount but no one knows I have it either...

tl

MilCommer82

Been using the antenna for about 2 weeks now with great results over my old stock antenna. Im picking up planrfes from a AF range about 1.5-2 hours away (unable before). Still cant get the tower side of comms here at the base, but thats ok. Now I have to get used to hearing what they are saying, they talk so fast sometimes its hard to understand them, Im considering putting a delay on most of my channels because my scanner skips off the channel very fast making the whole conversation hard to follow and worst i keep missing callsigns!!

Status
Not open for further replies.