• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

World Cup anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

Sorta:
I would love to see the Americans do well.
Living in the most multi-cultural city in the world, in a Russian/Itlaian/Portuguese area I would love to see the U.S. win, esp beat the Itlalians.

racin06

Well, prior to my 6-year old son playing soccer, I never had interest in the sport. Now that my son has played for 2 years, I have become a big fan of the sport. I have new respect for the professional soccer players. These guys are in very good physical shape and are truly athletes. I usually watch the weekly MLS game on HDNet (soccer in high definition is awesome!). I also watch European soccer like the British Premiere League games on Fox Soccer Channel.

Last edited:

bobmich52

RU SERIOUS ?

There Iz Only ONE FOOTBALL In The 48 Contigious States & It Ain't "FUTBOL"

GO BIG BLUE!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
"48 Contiguous States"?! That sure is a small area! :) Soccer is a centuries-old and VERY HUGE sport across the world. Expand your horizons and watch some World Cup action - soccer is a very competitive and exciting sport.

safetyobc

I have never watched soccer. But watching ESPN, the news, etc. I can see this is a huge sport worldwide. The fans are hardcore! I think I will follow this World Cup and see what all the fuss is about. Of course, I gotta pull for the USA.

Isn't the World Cup only played every 4 years? I see them advertising two countries at war have called a peace until after the World Cup? That is insane a sport can do such things.

Napalm

bobmich52 said:
RU SERIOUS ?

There Iz Only ONE FOOTBALL In The 48 Contigious States & It Ain't "FUTBOL"

GO BIG BLUE!
What? Try making some more sense ;)

Your "Football" is a game for pansies... all that padding? :D Play a real sport like RUGBY ;)

JOKE! before anyone flames me.

rpowley

Soccer / Futbol - I love it. In the past it was the only sport where the fans needed pads and helmets. Soccer has ultimate fan loyalty.

bobmich52

You Have a Point Napalm.

Rugby Is "Football" Without Pads.

Australian Rules Football Anyone?

"Football" American Style Has The Ultimate Fan Loyalty Without The Stupid Hooligan/Rioting Factor.

greenthumb

Database Admin
safetyobc said:
Isn't the World Cup only played every 4 years? I see them advertising two countries at war have called a peace until after the World Cup? That is insane a sport can do such things.
Yes, the World Cup is played every 4 years.

The warring country that they are talking about is the African nation of the Ivory Coast. The country currently is rooted in a civil war, which has been put on hold until after the World Cup.

Soccer is how some South American countries battle their wars, from what I hear! :)

...much better than our tactics. :roll:

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
bobmich52 said:
Australian Rules Football Anyone?
I love to listen to or watch Aussie Rules Football, which can be an extremely rough game. I can see why so many of the players have a short career, as they are banged around very severely. Nevertheless, the fans can be really rabid about the whole thing, but not as much as the soccer fans are. Riots are so common between cities that are arch rivals.

73's

Ron

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
From a scanning/monitoring viewpoint, the World Cup generates a ton of activity. Back when the Cup was held here in the USA in 1994, attendance records were shattered. Nine cities were selected, including Detroit to host the games.

Most of the communications for the World Cup here in Michigan, were conducted over the Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS), which was not monitorable at that time, due to a complete lack of digital scanners. However, a few channels were patched over to VHF-High band, to help local agencies that were not on the statewide system at that time, intercommunicate with transportation of the teams from the airport to stadiums, etc.

I can just imagine that in Germany right now, there is a lot of action taking place and if conditions are just right, we might be able to hear some of it on their VHF-Low band, which runs from 54-88 MHz. However, I am sure that stadium security is probably on VHF-High band and is encrypted for security reasons. In this day and age, terrorism is a real threat, and I sure that every precaution has been taken to ensure the safety of the participants and players alike.

Since 1994, soccer has really grown in popularity in the USA. Many high schools, even junior high schools now offer it as a interschoolastic, competitive sport, which had done a lot of boost its image. Likewise, sponsorship of these teams has increased as well at all levels.

73's

Ron

MacombMonitor

I'm not a soccer fan, but watching the way "Soccer Moms" drive their SUV's in Michigan helps me understand why the game is so violent! :roll:

greenthumb

Database Admin
safetyobc said:
How long are the games? 90 minutes?
Yes - 90 minutes divided into two 45 minute halves.

No commercials or time outs, so you have to be a tremendous athlete with a lot of endurance to play the game.

greenthumb

Database Admin
bobmich52 said:
Do you Like Watching Paint Dry Or Grass Grow?
...only while watching an american football game littered with commercials and time outs. :)

safetyobc

greenthumb said:
Yes - 90 minutes divided into two 45 minute halves.

No commercials or time outs, so you have to be a tremendous athlete with a lot of endurance to play the game.
Why did the game I just watched (the end of it anyway) go to 90 minutes and then it had 3 more minutes after the 90?

bobmich52

Uh, how Many American football Games end In 1-0 Scores?

Real Exciting Eh?

I Could Take A LONG Nap & Still Not Miss A Thing In a Futbol Match

As Long Az The Commercials Have Beer & Broads, How Can Ya Go Wrong?

Time Outs Are a Good Thing, Unless you are Equipped With A Pilot's Relief Tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.