• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

World Cup anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
safetyobc said:
Why did the game I just watched (the end of it anyway) go to 90 minutes and then it had 3 more minutes after the 90?
It's called "stoppage time" and is added at the end of the half to account for injuries, substitutions, goals, and player time-wasting. Instead of stopping the clock for these events, they keep it running and add time to the end. Strange? Yeah, but that's how it's done.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
bobmich52 said:
Uh, how Many American football Games end In 1-0 Scores?
None. It's the nature of the sport.

Real Exciting Eh?
It's a shame that you can't appreciate soccer for what it is. The players have to make the plays for themselves and improvise, instead of executing a set play called in by the coach. As I mentioned earlier, there is an extreme amount of endurance required for these players. In FIFA matches, only three (3) substitutions can be allowed for the WHOLE GAME. I would venture to say that, even with the 1+ minute breaks in between plays, time outs, TV time outs, quarter breaks, halftime break, 5 minute breaks for injuries, etc. - that american football players would have a tough time. :) Especially those lineman! LOL

Oh, and when injuries occur, the player is quickly taken off the field. None of the sprawling all over the field for tens of minutes making a scene as there is in american football. And the injuries in soccer can be as severe as in american football - i've seen my fair share of dislocations, broken bones, concussions, etc.

I Could Take A LONG Nap & Still Not Miss A Thing In a Futbol Match
And I can think of MANY american football games that I HAVE taken a long nap during and haven't missed a thing. It boils down to your appreciation for the sport, which you don't seem to have. This is fine. But do keep in mind that a 45 minute american football game takes 2-3 hours. A 90 minute soccer game takes no more than 2 hours. Twice the action for the same time investment (or less).

As Long Az The Commercials Have Beer & Broads, How Can Ya Go Wrong?
...and if that is what you are really watching the game for, then you've found the right sport for your needs.

Time Outs Are a Good Thing, Unless you are Equipped With A Pilot's Relief Tube.
If I need to drink in order to watch a game, that would tell me something :) Otherwise, yeah, I can hold it for 45 minutes.

Now I am probably starting the ever-present American debate on whether american football or soccer is a better sport, even though they have absolutely nothing in common. bobmich52, i'll let you have the last word since I don't want to carry this argument on forever since nobody is likely to relinquish their position. :)

Last edited:

bobmich52

We Agree To Disagree.

Fair Enough.

Respectful, If Not Slightly & Intentionally Humurous Debate In Order To Stimulate Opinion.

TO EACH HIS OWN

Go-24

I tuned in to watch USA dishonor the country with a half-hearted effort.

The Iran vs Mexico game the day before was quite entertaining.

safetyobc

I have watched a couple games now and they are pretty good.

The only thing is I get a headache from all the air horns that constantly blair. I have to mute the sound and listen to the scanner while the game is on. It really is unerving to me.

But the games are good.

matt

safetyobc

I have really gotten into this World Cup stuff. It is very exciting to watch.

I like it. I guess I am becoming a Soccer fan. Although, team USA isn't that good. I'll watch them tomorrow and see how they do, but I am thinking Italy is going to win.

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.