Worth buying a Pro-97 for long term use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikd65

With all the changes going on in the bands, is it worth getting the Pro-97 or should I just go for a digital scanner? I would like to get the 97 while it is on sale, and this is why I am asking. I don't want to get it and find that I can't use it 2 or 3 years from now. Thanks!

E

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
If you did that. I just got the pro2055. I have the BCD396T works good for digital. i didn't like the pro96 too much. I traded 2 radios for it. If you do buy the pro97 you can sell it on here or on ebay.

safetyobc

erikd65 said:
With all the changes going on in the bands, is it worth getting the Pro-97 or should I just go for a digital scanner? I would like to get the 97 while it is on sale, and this is why I am asking. I don't want to get it and find that I can't use it 2 or 3 years from now. Thanks!

E

If it were me, I'd get the BR330T for an analog trunking scanner. I tried the Pro-97, and while it was a decent scanner, the BR330T is a much better scanner in my opinion. I sold my Pro-97 and got a BR330T and have been happy with my decision.

good luck.

matt

erikd65

safetyobc said:
If it were me, I'd get the BR330T for an analog trunking scanner. I tried the Pro-97, and while it was a decent scanner, the BR330T is a much better scanner in my opinion. I sold my Pro-97 and got a BR330T and have been happy with my decision.

good luck.

matt

I just looked at the specs on BR330T and that may be the way to go with all the coverage you get with it.

rpowley

The Pro-97 is a pretty good scanner for the sale price. It's not my primary, but its a good back up and running around scanner.

safetyobc

erikd65 said:
I just looked at the specs on BR330T and that may be the way to go with all the coverage you get with it.

It will cost you about $100 more than the 97, if you get it from www.usascan.com.

The BR330T comes with PC Programming cable, batteries, and AC Adapter where as the Pro97 does not. They both have software available from different sources. The 330 is smaller in size than the 97 and has more frequency coverage and memory.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Both are good scanners. I am more of a Uniden man though. lol

erikd65

safetyobc said:
It will cost you about $100 more than the 97, if you get it from www.usascan.com.

The BR330T comes with PC Programming cable, batteries, and AC Adapter where as the Pro97 does not. They both have software available from different sources. The 330 is smaller in size than the 97 and has more frequency coverage and memory.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Both are good scanners. I am more of a Uniden man though. lol

Well, I fugure with the extra purchase of the cloning cable, AC adapter etc, I will be pushing $200 with the 97, PLUS you get a wider range of freqs with the Uniden, which makes the extra cost worth it IMO.

safetyobc

erikd65 said:
Well, I fugure with the extra purchase of the cloning cable, AC adapter etc, I will be pushing $200 with the 97, PLUS you get a wider range of freqs with the Uniden, which makes the extra cost worth it IMO.

I have a simple review of each scanner on my website if you care to take a look.

matt

erikd65

One thing I did nostice is that it does not do SSB on shortwave, but thats not to big of a deal since most handhelds do poorly on shortwave anyway.

safetyobc

erikd65 said:
One thing I did nostice is that it does not do SSB on shortwave, but thats not to big of a deal since most handhelds do poorly on shortwave anyway.

You are right, no SSB. But it does okay on SSB with an extendable whip, mostly nothing during the day, but decent at night.

You can always pick up a Kaito 1102 or similar fairly cheap from ebay if you wanted SSB. :D

Chris0381

I am really enjoying my Pro-97 and my neigbor has just bought one on sale. I just grabbed 3 cables at a closing RS for $5 each and will sell one on ebay and one to my neighbor and I may go back and grab the rest if there are any left. The 800 mhz ant was $3.50.

If you get the pro-97, you will enjoy it as long as your favorite frequencies don't go digital anytime soon. What are the plans for digital in your area?

erikd65

I don't see them going digital anytime soon with all the budget problems in this city. They aren't even on trunked yet.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If you want to Track analog Motorola systems in the *near* future, you may want to hold off on the PRO-97 until RadioShack tells us what they plan to do with the 800MHz rebanding issue. As it stands, RadioShack may or may not support it (unless someone can tell me for sure, otherwise). If they do support the 97, it would need to be returned to a repair center to have a logic board with new CPU/firmware replaced.

Just something to think about if you do want to use it for analog Motorola trunked systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.