Worth it to get back into scanning Twin Cities Metro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CcSkyEye

Xcel energy 800 trunked in the Twin Cities is encrypted. As a critical infrastructure it makes sense to have the system encrypted but it was. Sure helpful during power outages to listen to the crews to get a clue on how long things would be down.

I agree.

One of Xcel's towers is basically in my backyard. Call me a dork, but it was interesting listening at times to the outages and other communications even when it didn't directly affect me.

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
Look into SDRs if you aren't going to be using it walking around. $100 cheapo Elitebook and two $35 SDR dongles and my radio monitoring experience is much more enjoyable than it was with a $600 scanner...
View attachment 122515
Any chance you would share your radio id tags? I've been working on a list myself with unitrunker. Maybe swap some info.

tadsmith

Premium Subscriber
mmtstc can you tell me what software you using to log/display all of those calls on your screen?

MCWKen

Yex, inquiring minds want to know.. SDR’s on the way!. Not spending $600 for an SDS to listen to one talk group on a simulcast system.

I have been using OP 25 for a few years. Had my ups and downs, but now my laptop and desktop run on Linux. I tried VirtualBox, but the computer would take resources away from it, causing poor performance.

Now that both use Linux (Ububtu flavor), OP25 runs very reliably.

Status
Not open for further replies.