Worth Keeping? BCD 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

w-galinsky

Premium Subscriber
First post here, I have used this forum in the past. This Christmas I got a very nice BCD 396XT by Uniden. I have always listened to my PRO-94 scanner in the past. I live on the NorthShore of Massachusetts and do not know if its worth keeping for my area. The one place I would have enjoyed listening to is Haverhill, MA and I have found that they have an encryption, and I believe this scanner or any scanner for that matter, can receive their commucations.

I am new to a digital scanner and over the course of the day I have managed to program all my old analog stations and its great to have the ID come up with the city name, but I do not know if it is really all that much of an improvement on what I could listen to on my PRO-94. Looking at some of the resources on here suggests that my area (other than Haverhill) and including Southern NH are still mainly Analog.

If someone has two cents I would sure like to hear it, because I don't know if it is my lack of understanding of the new scanners capablilities/area freq. or if I should return it and continue to use my Radioshack trunking Pro-94??

Thanks in advance for any input/advice,
-- Bill

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well if you return it would you get a different scanner or would you use the money for something else? I really don't see any harm in keeping,it might come in handy sometime.

w-galinsky

Premium Subscriber
Well I have a PRO-94 trunking scanner already, which I believe can get everything the 396XT gets now. Has anyone on this forum from my area upgraded from analog to digital, if so why? Are there transmissions out there I am unaware of? Are there other benefits I am unaware of? Is there a plan for my area to move more digital in the next 5 years?

Thanks Again

-Bill

NYRHKY94

Bill:

Personally, I would recommend keeping it. Not sure if you travel "up north" at all, but almost 100 percent of the PD's in NH are now P25 Digital (including NHSP). I would also recommend you hop over to the Scan New England site and poke around. Great site with a wealth of information for your area and all of New England.

Scan New England Forums

Thanks - Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.