Worth the upgrade? BCD996P2 to SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agcox

Premium Subscriber
I have been strongly thinking about upgrading to the SDS 200 unit. I currently have a BCD996P2 that works pretty well but still has some issues with broken transmissions and static. I know after doing a bunch of research there is a recommendation to switch to the SDS 200. Anyone in the Southeast Michigan area have this unit and think it works better? I want to make sure the upgrade is worth it before shelling out the $700. I know simulcast distortion is an issue where I am at as I sometimes pickup the Monroe site much stronger than the Lenawee site. Just looking for some advice.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you travel a lot, the upgrade would eliminate simulcast problems on the road. Otherwise, and if you don't have simulcast problems now, I wouldn't bother.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A lot of MPSCS is simulcast, so you're pretty likely to benefit from the upgrade. And the SDS200 display is way better. Keep your current scanner for analog/non-simulcast traffic, 2 is better than 1.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up an SDS 200 while my P2 is in the closet collecting dust. It’s like stepping out of the dark ages! However, I’m still learning about all of the things it can do.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
The SDS will help A LOT with your distortion problems. It does great here on the Washtenaw sites and I can scan the Lenawee sites pretty well from here too. The older scanners are hit and miss on the simulcast systems. Some do better than others, but usually you need to find the sweet spot, and then don't touch the radio! I don't have that issue at all with the SDS.

For me there was a pretty big learning curve in using and programming the SDS. After doing a lot of reading, watching videos and experimenting, I figured it out and programmed it for what works best for me. I'm not really a fan of using the zipcode method or letting others program the scanner for you. Those methods can get you started, but learn how to use and set up that scanner and you will get the most out of it. Worth the upgrade if you want to scan simulcast systems without distortion issues.

Paul

Agcox

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for all of your insight and support, this is such a great community of folks who are always so helpful. I just purchased a different antenna for the P2 so I can verify if the issues I am having are reception related or if they truly are distortion issues.

I think deep down I really want to upgrade just to have the latest/greatest but jumping up to that $700 price range is a big jump and if I could justify it with having less distortion it would make it a little easier!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The whole reason for the development of the SDS models was solving the simulcast issue.

Agcox

Premium Subscriber
I'm definitely still a noob to the digital stuff and the P25 system. Is there a way to know whether my broken transmissions are because of reception or because of simulcast distortion?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you have signal bars but still hear nothing or garbled crap, that's a pretty good indication the problem is simulcast.

Agcox

Premium Subscriber
Thanks that does appear to be the issue then. A lot of times I get plenty of signal bars but when the radio stops on a TGID I get nothing but silence or quite a bit of the time I get broken transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.