Worth the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay427

I have a PRO-96 and have kept the software updated.

Is there any better performance with a GRE PSR-500 or 600?

Is the new GRE PSR-500 and 600 just a repackage of the old models with no improvement?

Been to lazy to look but I wonder if the PRO-96 Don Star software will work with the PSR series.

Thanks All

Jay, n0mdf

hoser147

Not the same, Get one you wont regret it. As for the software you would need to go with Win500 or PSR Edit, one for those scanners the Pro 96 software isnt the same. Hoser

Not EVEN the same. I expected a repackaging at first too, but it isn't the case. Much better scanners. With these, the Chinese are actually starting to rival the older Japanese scanners.

You will need new software, since these scanners have far more capabilities.

In my case the 96 and 2096 were much more confused by our (difficult to monitor) local simulcast p25 system. The PSR scanners are an improvement. They have several features not found on other scanners, and I have found each one of them useful. For those serious about federal monitoring, and those who live in places like Texas, NAC decoding will be a Godsend.

Personally, I love the per-channel audioboost feature too. I hate it when I am scanning a lot of different things, then one channel comes up that is just far quieter than the others, and I can't hear it well. This feature solves this.

The way signal bars work on scanners tends to be just silly, and GRE actually had the foresight to include adjustments for this too. Nice.

I also find many uses for the various LED / DISPLAY / AUDIBLE alarms. In a sea of transmissions they can get your attention when something special happens, right off the bat.

Digital sound quality and sensitivity are just outstanding. My PSR-600 lets me dial the squelch down and pull in the faintest signals, much like my old PRO-2006 did.

The PSR-500 does have a cheap look and feel in some ways, but the performance is just too good to pass up. My case makes creeking noises if pressed in certain places on the side, the original antenna was loose and did not fit well, and the radio is rather large, and the grey face is kind of ugly. I have learned to live with the creeking sounds now and then, and replaced the antenna with a dimaond RH519 which is far better anyway, and fits tight as can be, along with outstanding performance. I will live with the looks, and enjoy the performance.

The 600 may not have the beautiful display, or the knob, or the intermod rejection that the 996 has, but is in every other way better, in my view. Much more like the old Jap scanners in the sensitivity area.

jay427

Thanks for the input.

The only reason I'm thinking about it is because the pro-96 has some issues when it comes to P25.

In my city the public service people were really having a hard time with the system as was I. To make a long story longer they did add another tower in my city to improve it and it has help me a little but still not great. I now have a tower 2 miles away and one would think that would work great but no dice, its better, but not as good has it could be. They did reband a few months ago to, again a little better.

I do not see any more changes to the system in the future so I think it may be time for a upgrade.

Where is a good place to pick up a new one?

Thanks again

Jay

Is that system a simulcast system by chance? Those are always hard to monitor with omni antennas. Even the users have problems with their very expensive radios. If I want to hear my local system without garbled sound and cutouts I have to turn on my PSR-600 with attached yagi antenna. Basically I am blocking all but one site (mostly).

There is a thread active now in the GRE area which covers where to get the best deals. Check that out.

Last edited:

jay427

Is that system a simulcast sytem by chance? Those are always hard to monitor with omni antennas. Even the users have problems with their very expensive radios. If I want to hear my local system without garbled sound and cutouts I have to turn on my PSR-600 with attached yagi antenna. Basically I am blocking all but one site (mostly).

There is a thread active now in the GRE area which covers where to get the best deals. Check that out.

Yep its a Simucast system, I do use a yagi to.

Status
Not open for further replies.