WOSH FM Radio on 455.25MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclerunkle

I'm new to this and still learning, but any idea why I would hear the WOSH radio station on 455.25Mhz? It's loud and clear. Perhaps it is an unlicensed part 15 device rebroadcasting?

"Operation of unlicensed Part 15 Devices is permitted between 454 and 456 MHz."

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Remote Pick Up frequency. Used by radio stations to do remote broadcasts. Audio is hauled back on the UHF frequency to the studio or transmitter site.

They can also do what's called "Interrupted Feed Back", which is where the studio will send audio out to newscasters in the field. They can overlay or replace it with intercom audio between the studio and people broadcasting in the field.

Funny/odd thing is that the only license showing 455.250 in your area expired quite some years ago:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
There are also remote links in the 161 MHz range. When I worked in radio we used one for remote broadcasts and also had some Motorola portables which could also be legally used to maintenance (communication from the mountain top transmitter to the studio). The UHF pairs, although they have 5MHz separation could be used on either frequency for simplex. I believe that sometimes they were used for stereo (left and right channels). Not so common anymore where remotes use microwave and satellite. Cell phones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.