Would a central collection point for TBird and BA freqs be useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Questions about 'where can I hear the TBirds' or 'where can I hear the Blue Angels" are, I'm sure, going to abound as they had last airshow season, so would a central article in our wiki be useful to folks to serve as a collection point?

The format can be quite simple; name of the airshow, date, frequency and designator, if you hear it. If it's new to the list (not on the 2008 MT article, such as the new Victor 1 and 2 TBird freqs recently discovered) it can be made bold. We can make one set of articles per year; one for 2008, one for 2009, etc.

Remember you can login to the wiki to edit it using your regular RR signon and password. I can easily set up the skeletons - the rest is up to you

73 Mike

MikeMike

Premium Subscriber
Yes...

Mike,

I think that is a good idea... It would certainly help keep it all in one place. Perhaps adding the teams schedules to the shell would help with the questions of "where are the Blues going to be next?" etc.

Best,
Mike Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
MikeMike - the MT milcom blog has the listings of the schedules, as does a few websites. I can add links to the schedules per team, which is a good idea

73 Mike

Navairboss

MikeMike said:
Mike,

I think that is a good idea... It would certainly help keep it all in one place. Perhaps adding the teams schedules to the shell would help with the questions of "where are the Blues going to be next?" etc.

Best,
Mike Mike

And what do you call all the information on the Milcom Monitoring Post and MT Annual Airshow Guide pages?

It is an absolutely horrible idea. You both are probably to young in the scanning hobby to remember why the MT Annual Airshow Guide was created 9 years ago in the first place. There was so much junk going around for the teams freqs that the list were nearly useless. Most of the "confirmed" stuff turned out to be a local a/d, tower, gnd or CD freq. But those misreported freqs circulated year after year after year. That is because most scanner folk have never learned to delete obsolete freqs well from their scanner list. To quote one person, "I know it is no longer used but it might spur others to listen to that freq."

All the information you need for airshow monitoring is located on the Milcom Monitoring Post Blog right hnd side of the page. Why start up something else Mike? Oh yes, it isn't on this website.

But by all means if you feel compelled to post on this site freqs and skeds etc, feel free to do so. But be warned when the junk creeps back in because it isn't being vetted, I will be free to point out that fact in print of another problem site that is polluting the freq pool.

Chief

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<chuckle> I knew you'd have something negative to say, Larry...while I agree that folks need to be aware of what's valid and what's not, there's a couple of items here that need addressing;

a. Whether we're talking about the Milcom qth list or the blog, there's a time lag between when someone writes the note and when it appears. For a 1 day airshow, that's not much of an issue; for one that's a couple of days, that's a different story. The wiki is not dependent on when a server decides to issue the message; it's real time

b. Make no mistake the MT article is the defining place to start (and I've been a MT subscriber since its newspaper days, by the way...), and I will link the article in each spot. However, as we've already seen with the TBirds adding 2 new freqs, the article is a start - it's last year's freq list, and things are changing, as you've already correctly noted. Why not centralize where the new stuff is being reported, and make it easy to find, rather than having to wade through other news first?

73 Mike

Navairboss

ka3jjz said:
<chuckle> I knew you'd have something negative to say, Larry...while I agree that folks need to be aware of what's valid and what's not, there's a couple of items here that need addressing;

a. Whether we're talking about the Milcom qth list or the blog, there's a time lag between when someone writes the note and when it appears. For a 1 day airshow, that's not much of an issue; for one that's a couple of days, that's a different story. The wiki is not dependent on when a server decides to issue the message; it's real time

b. Make no mistake the MT article is the defining place to start (and I've been a MT subscriber since its newspaper days, by the way...), and I will link the article in each spot. However, as we've already seen with the TBirds adding 2 new freqs, the article is a start - it's last year's freq list, and things are changing, as you've already correctly noted. Why not centralize where the new stuff is being reported, and make it easy to find, rather than having to wade through other news first?

73 Mike

And the Milcom Blog was the first to report those new TB freqs Mike, well before even this site had them. Changes in team demo freqs does not happen often enough to warrant the kind of urgency you have attached. Besides any changes could just as well be sent to the Milcom Blog and it would be there in near real time. But by all means, if you want to start another list that competes with solid existing assets, go right ahead. But when that junk creeps back in...

Chief

MikeMike

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps I need to clarify...

I was intending to say that a wiki for that topic would be helpful in the organizational part of this website, not as a replacement for the MT site. I too am a long time subscriber, a constant reader of the MT Milcom Blogspot and a former moderator of a group you belong to Larry up in the northeast so I take exception to the comment "young to the hobby". No harm though as I totally see your point Larry and have always respected the hard work you put into milcom et al.

Anyway, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes... Like I said, I just thought it would be a good catch all on this site since you see the same repetitive questions on the boards such as "how do I listen to the T-Birds or where can I see them?" Maybe it would just be best to have the wiki entry point to resources such at MT?

Best,
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's already in the Milcom web pages article, MikeMike.

<sigh> That's what I get for trying to help in the collection effort. Sadly typical...oh well

73 Mike

k2epm

Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz said:
Questions about 'where can I hear the TBirds' or 'where can I hear the Blue Angels" are, I'm sure, going to abound as they had last airshow season, so would a central article in our wiki be useful to folks to serve as a collection point?

The format can be quite simple; name of the airshow, date, frequency and designator, if you hear it. If it's new to the list (not on the 2008 MT article, such as the new Victor 1 and 2 TBird freqs recently discovered) it can be made bold. We can make one set of articles per year; one for 2008, one for 2009, etc.

Remember you can login to the wiki to edit it using your regular RR signon and password. I can easily set up the skeletons - the rest is up to you

73 Mike

Mike that's a GREAT Idea.

Ed K2EPM
www.k2epm.com
www.scannerscum.com

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
k2epm said:
Mike that's a GREAT Idea.

I concur.

Not everybody has the time to wade through the Brasstown Blog; having a list concentrated in one place where updates can be made quickly and in real time, and can be found easily, is a good idea.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That was my point exactly, Tom. Both the Blog and Milcom list are not real time - and as for the 'too much junk gets mixed in' argument, it's really simple - all you need do is wait to the end of the season, then do one sweep (OK 2, one for the Tbirds, one for BA) and you'll clean it up in no time flat.

There's nothing wrong with posting in the forums (since they are real time), except that if the forum is busy, eventually the traffic scrolls off - and not everyone is comfortable using the search tools.

Now if folks are actually going to use it ; that's a horse of another color. If someone doesn't want to use it as a potential source of info, it's their loss.

I'll write the skeleton articles tomorrow...I just got back from the dentist and my jaw is aching something fierce....73 Mike

Navairboss

wa8pyr said:
I concur.

Not everybody has the time to wade through the Brasstown Blog; having a list concentrated in one place where updates can be made quickly and in real time, and can be found easily, is a good idea.

Humm, obviously Swisher you have not paid real close attention to how the info is laid out on the Milcom blog. All the airshow links for skeds and frequencies are on the side of the blog, no wading is required.

But since you folks are hell bent to do your "collective" project, by all means. We add another layer of stuff to the hobby when it is not needed for some preceived problem that Mike seems to think exist.

Chief

Navairboss

ka3jjz said:
That was my point exactly, Tom. Both the Blog and Milcom list are not real time - and as for the 'too much junk gets mixed in' argument, it's really simple - all you need do is wait to the end of the season, then do one sweep (OK 2, one for the Tbirds, one for BA) and you'll clean it up in no time flat.

Ah Mike my boy there is the arguement. When the junk gets mixed in it never ever goes away. You obviously did not read what I said originally, the junk circulated for years, that is why we started the collective project of the MT Airshow Guide.

ka3jjz said:
Now if folks are actually going to use it ; that's a horse of another color. If someone doesn't want to use it as a potential source of info, it's their loss.

I'll write the skeleton articles tomorrow...I just got back from the dentist and my jaw is aching something fierce....73 Mike

And the same back at you Mike. Hope your "collective" effort is a success. It won't be on any of my list of links.

Chief

Last edited:

ecps92

Since we are hell-bent on creating a list of lists of lists, lets make sure it is truely confirmed data, as of late so much being submitted is verbatim from old printed and old web sites, by those new to the hobby.

Maybe a column or two for...Last Heard Date/Location so we know what is really active.

ka3jjz said:

There's nothing wrong with posting in the forums (since they are real time), except that if the forum is busy, eventually the traffic scrolls off - and not everyone is comfortable using the search tools.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that this is NOT going to be a 'list of lists'; rather, a way to collect freqs that are heard at the event.

Your suggestion for a date (and perhaps a location, if not at the show itself) is a reasonable one, Bill 73 Mike

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

If you want this new list to be as accurate as possible and exclude all of the extant junk, then I would suggest not "seeding" it with any supposed "known" frequencies. Just create a means for submitting air show intercepts and let the list be built from scratch.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's what I will be aiming for, Dave. As I have said all along, this will be a collection point for logs - not a lot of old lists linked on the page. I will link the MT 2007 article (and change it to the 2008 article, which as I understand it, will be up in a couple of weeks) and likely add links to the MT articles that have the Thunderbird and Blue Angel schedules.

I'll be putting a skeleton out there shortly ... 73 Mike

[edit] The Blue Angels article is out there. Once it's stable, I can clone it for the Thunderbirds. Please feel free to add any appropriate links to aid users in looking up frequencies, ect.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Blue_Angels_2008

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Navairboss said:
Humm, obviously Swisher you have not paid real close attention to how the info is laid out on the Milcom blog. All the airshow links for skeds and frequencies are on the side of the blog, no wading is required.

Well, "Chief".... last time I looked at your blog I had to wade through stuff to find what I needed. At that point I decided it wasn't worth my time. If you've since cleaned things up a bit, that's great.

But, since most everything else I need is here, why should I go somewhere else to find it? If Mike is willing to create and administer such a Wiki, I support him in his efforts. Besides, multiple sources of accurate information are a good thing; that way you have more of a chance of finding what you need.

'Nuf said.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
DaveNF2G said:
If you want this new list to be as accurate as possible and exclude all of the extant junk, then I would suggest not "seeding" it with any supposed "known" frequencies. Just create a means for submitting air show intercepts and let the list be built from scratch.

Right on. By far the best way, especially with a Wiki which can be updated in real time.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
DaveNF2G said:
100% agree!!

Let's put it this way: I kind of start my list with MT, but I definitely end my list with what I find here from people who actually visit the airshows in various cities.

Hopefully, Navairboss will someday contribute something positive instead of trolling MT to the exclusion of all else. (I am a MT subscriber, by the way.)

I, like many here, use ALL sources.

Edit: A possible start for a template could be what I created on this page -> http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Ohio_Milcom_Frequencies
The table rows, if copied correctly for inserts, could work but I could also see where it could get hosed due to an editing mistake. Anyway, just a suggestion fwiw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.