• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Would A GMRS/FRS Radio Built Into A Smartphone Or Battery Case Interest You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
First off, neither of the devices that I have linked to are authorized for FRS/GMRS use in the United States. However, IF THEY WERE, would that interest you? Or, do you ALWAYS prefer your radio separate from your smartphone?

Personally, I honestly have mixed feelings about it. Both my wife and I are FCC licensed amateur radio operators, so my understanding is that we could use either of these devices on the 70 cm amateur radio band.

For some of the activities that we enjoy, we do get "off the grid" where there is no cellular service. Back in the day, we were Nextel subscribers. When Nextel offered some devices that had off-network simplex, Direct Talk, it was a huge benefit.

I think the real, underlying reason that these interest me so much is that my wife is something of a minimalist and perhaps I am, too. I don't typically carry a separate camera, for example, because my smartphone can take photographs.

For those that have experience with UHF simplex, is going from 2 watts to 5 watts going to make a huge difference in actual coverage? I realize that there ate LOTS of factors that affect this. The antenna being used, urban vs. rural, topography, etc.

And, as it turns out, we are not currently Apple iPhone users. Everyone in my immediate family is using an Android device. If I were to get something like this for my wife and I, I would need to get two Apple iPhones AND the Radioddity case or two of the Ulefone ARMOR WT smartphones.

I suppose the other choices would be get one, for my wife, and I could carry two separate devices. I am in no particular hurry, so I do have time to read the forthcoming reviews on these devices before I purchase.

Does anybody here have any experience with either Radioddity or Ulefone devices? What sort of quality are either one of those brands?

It would be a MUCH easier decision for me IF Radioddity offered these for Android smartphones. That would make it so much simpler. Neither of us would likely use it on our smartphone until we planned on going somewhere that we knew ahead of time is not likely to have coverage.

UPDATE: Despite the title on their website showing it as 5 watts, the FAQs state that it is actually 1.9 watts. Additionally, it is Carrier Squelch only, NO PL/DPL. The power level I could live with, but no PL/DPL is a "deal breaker" for me. It is time to look a bit further into the Ulefone ARMOR 3WT. I think 2 watts DMR on 70 cm might work out okay for us.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or, do you ALWAYS prefer your radio separate from your smartphone?

These really have not caught on. There's been various cell/LMR products for a few years.

Combining them give convenience, but the cost of that is high...
-Trying to jam a decent 2 way radio with all the right filtering, etc. into a cell phone that is comparable in size to what most of us are carrying around usually isn't a reasonable expectation. They tend to be too big.
-Cell phone technology/upgrade cycles don't fit well with LMR radios. LMR radios can run years without issue, but cell phones often fall out of favor, technology wise, pretty quick. I suspect the average life span of a modern smart phone is only 2 years or so.
-Battery capacity becomes an issue. Most won't want to carry around a cell phone with a big honkin' battery on it.
-The "putting all your eggs in one basket" thing. Your cell phone and 2 way radio are now the same device, so if the battery dies or the device simply fails, you've now lost both means of communication.

That may be fine for the casual hobbyist with disposable income.

Sonim came up with a novel solution, but haven't heard much more about it since last year:
Instead of a radio and smart phone all in one box, their approach was to make a separate radio "sled" that slid on the back of the cell phone. That gave some more functionality/flexibility.

I've looked at a few of these radio/cellphone combinations at trade shows, and they were not impressive. Again, fine for the hobby crowd.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is the multimode radio I'm keeping my eyes on, but not for GMRS.....

:)

I think this is a better solution. Several of the big radio manufactures have proper LMR 2 way radios that have an LTE radio in them. Instead of a cell phone with a radio added, it's a radio with cellular capability added.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I've heard mixed reviews of the the Sonim XP-8. Does the XP-8 have a PTT function between phones like Nextels used to have?

The PDC760 looks nice. The downloadable brochure did not reveal which cellular networks were supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.