• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Would like some advice on high to hang my dipole 11meter antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norkyanthony

Ive attached a link to amazon for the dipole I purchased. It got pretty good reviews and is made is U.S.A. However, I like to know how to hang this thing? I was thinking a long pvc pipe and put a metal hook at the end of it and hook the dipole onto the hook and extend the wires downward at a 45 degree angle. The pvc pipe would be on the side of a 2 by 4 fence post with some strong zip ties. Now, Am NOT planning on leaving this thing out there, only using it when I want to play around and taken down and put into my garage the majority of the time. So look at this dipole and let me know......https://www.amazon.com/Ready-Meter-Dipole-Antenna-Balun/dp/B01CYKFU4Y/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dipole+antenna+11+meter&qid=1595987696&sr=8-2

Ive also attached a photo of how i have it up against my fence high in the air with zip ties using pvc pipe. Any advice to better this thing? take a look at the dipole an amazon.. also will a metal hook mess at the end of the pvc pipe mess with reception?

Attachments

• 20200728_213708.jpg
    20200728_213708.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 26

prcguy

An antenna will have its best pattern towards the horizon at multiples of 1/2 wavelength off the ground. The first half wavelength off the ground or about 18ft for CB will still point a bit upward with a full wavelength or 36ft being a little more at the horizon and at some point many wavelengths up you will get most of the energy at the horizon. If you put your antenna at 1/4 wave off the ground or about 9ft, most of the energy will go straight up.

Since its an inverted V and there is more radiation near the feedpoint vs the ends, I would try and get the feedpoint maybe 20ft off the ground so the first 1/3 or so of the antenna is centered about 18ft off the ground. Unless you can easily get to 36ft, then do that.

norkyanthony

Dont understand mostly anything you said. But ill run this buy somebody. Thank you! I wish you could do a pic for me. Lol

norkyanthony

Ok that sounds better. How should i have the wires? And can i use a long pvc pipe or i ca use my garage Roof?

prcguy

It depends on who you want to talk to, locals on base stations and mobiles or distant skip? For locals you would want to hang the entire antenna vertical with the middle point where the coax attaches at about 18 or 36ft off the ground. As a compromise, an inverted V with the wires going down at 45deg angles will work somewhat for locals and great for skip. If you make the entire wire antenna horizontal it will be great for skip and lousy for locals.

I mean. Should i point them down at a 45 degree angle or straight across?

WB9YBM

It would probably work at least slightly better if it were straight across, if possible (instead of at 45 degree angles). As far as height goes, there's an ancient antenna proverb: "Height is Might" (range gets better the higher it is, assuming a good quality of coax). Leaving it up permanently might help a bit, too: less mechanical wear & tear that could lead to something braking.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
50+ years ago when I was attending radio classes, one of our instructors said that there were three major factors in determining the feasibility and performance of installing a base station antenna:

1) Antenna height
2) Antenna height
3) Antenna height

WB9YBM

50+ years ago when I was attending radio classes, one of our instructors said that there were three major factors in determining the feasibility and performance of installing a base station antenna:

1) Antenna height
2) Antenna height
3) Antenna height

A bit over-simplified (and pilfered from real estates' "location, location, location"), but definitely right on. There's also coax loss to consider for long runs--and I'm sure others who read this are going to (at least think of, if not mention) additional nit-picky points...:)

prcguy

That was 50yrs ago, we know more stuff now. If you take a reading off the OPs antenna at 18ft off the ground at the horizon at some distance and raise the antenna 9ft you will have less signal at the horizon because more of it will go up at a higher lobe. Raise it to 36ft and the lobe will be down closer to the horizon again. Raise it from 36ft to 48ft and you will loose signal at the horizon again.

Antenna height is important but the correct height is most important until you get enough wavelengths off the ground were the ground effects diminish.

1) Antenna height
2) Antenna height
3) Antenna height

Status
Not open for further replies.