would like to get rid of windows 7 and install xp instead on acer aspire one

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
just wondering if anyone here in the community has or had an acer netbook, im not a big fan of windows 7 at all or vista but vista is ok anyways in all ways but id rather settle for windows xp.

since there is not a built in cd rom drive but if i use an external, will it recognize my windows xp installation disk on power up if i run it through the installation process?

just wondering because im more use to windows xp home/pro then windows 7, love the netbook, just not the OS.

seen some demos on turning a usb drive into an OS installer, no idea on how to even go for that.

kilowa22

just wondering if anyone here in the community has or had an acer netbook, im not a big fan of windows 7 at all or vista but vista is ok anyways in all ways but id rather settle for windows xp.

since there is not a built in cd rom drive but if i use an external, will it recognize my windows xp installation disk on power up if i run it through the installation process?

just wondering because im more use to windows xp home/pro then windows 7, love the netbook, just not the OS.

seen some demos on turning a usb drive into an OS installer, no idea on how to even go for that.
You would have to examine the BIOS of the computer to see if it is possible to boot from a USB device. On my Dell the BIOS list which boot options are allowed.

brandon

Database Admin
it should install from an external USB drive, this is how I reinstalled XP on mine.

K

kb0nly

Dumping Win 7 for Win XtraProblems seems like a poor choice to me... But if thats what you wanna do go for it.

XTS3000

make sure there are XP drivers for the WiFi, pointer, video card, etc. Nothing worse than installing XP on a system only to find out the XP drivers don't exist.

mario_verasso

I think your making an excellent choice dropping the crappy windows 7 OS. I prefer XP myself. I looked hard to find a ACER Apire one that didnt have windows 7 and it was $50.00 cheaper than the newer one with win 7. You can clone your HD from a comp that uses the XP and wipe your Acer clean then use the USB to copy to the acer's drive. You might want to think about upgrading your Memory first before reinstalling XP on it. I put a 1 gb memory in mine. It did make a difference. I can play newer games on it that i couldn't before. But i have the ext. 20XDVD/burnner. That is how i play Age of empires 3 and the star trek games on mine.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
sorry it took forever to respond, been working nights lately but I just went back and returned the laptop to walmart and went to bestbuy, they an Asus NB but with windows xp home, i know im going back into the stone ages but i just like windows xb pro/home alot better then vista and windows 7. I may just upgrade sometime sooner if i bought a new desktop.

Also i did go to a shop and they told me the AAO had all the drivers listed available for microsoft updates and all that but im happy with the new Asus Netbook i have.

So Windows XP/Home is just my choice, im just not a big fan of vista or windows 7+

Last edited:

Drowsiness

Dumping Win 7 for Win XtraProblems seems like a poor choice to me... But if thats what you wanna do go for it.
Strongly agree.

XP is not going to be supported much longer, has a very wide open path for malware/viruses and just isn't as good with memory efficiency. Poor choice all around to dump 7 for it.

mancow

Database Admin
I haven't found anything yet that I can't run on 7. It just works...and works well.

n5ims

There's also a Microsoft supported option to run XP in a virtual mode on Windows 7 Download Windows XP Mode

Why risk getting your PC infected by downgrading your OS when you can stay current (and supported) and still run all XP apps, most directly on Windows 7 and the very few that won't run directly using the XP virtual mode.

lgentle

There's also a Microsoft supported option to run XP in a virtual mode on Windows 7 Download Windows XP Mode
That depends on whether the netbook supports hardware virtualization. Not sure how many do.

I had 7 on my Asus netbook for a while. I loved it, but, I'm a printer tech and had A LOT of trouble installing printers for some reason. Don't know why. Went back to XP and fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.