Would like to monitor Starcom21 P25 Phase II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMF

Hello everyone,
Is it possible to monitor Starcom21 P25 PII with my BCD396XT or am I SOL?
I read that this model has been discontinued and another article about upgrading the firmware.
Thank you in advance.

wtp

SOL.
unless there is anyone that is on phase 1.
i see that there is some phase 1, look under mode for a D.
the D is phase 1
the DE is encryption and you won't get them at all ever no matter what radi you et.
i do see some T and that is phase 2.
my next scanner will be a 325P2 and that gets the phase 2 mode.
my county is just starting on a 700 band phase 2, but everything is on phase 1 for now.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Stardom is listed as PhaseII but most of the TGs are still PhaseI except in NWCDispatch and Grundy Co , I have the 325P2 works great but still use my 396xt

scannerjunkie

I have the 396xt and a GRE psr 500. These are my phase 1 workhorses and handle starcom monitoring quite well where I'm at. My 436 HP and TRX1 handle the phase 2 dmr and nxdn duties.

GTO_04

Depending on where you monitor and if your system is simulcast, the 396XT may work for you. Even in a simulcast system, the 396 "may" work for you if you are closer to one of the towers than the other ones in the system. If you take it in the car though, that may go out the window and your reception may vary. I have used my 396XT on Starcom 21 and it has been fine. As more of the sites go to Phase II, that will change as the 396Xt cannot decode Phase II.

GTO_04

RBMTS

Hello everyone,
I read that this model has been discontinued and another article about upgrading the firmware.
Thank you in advance.

Where specifically are you located? The Chicago suburbs are horrible for simulcast issues. There is also a large amount of Phase II activity. Not to mention that there is a lot of encryption. It really all depends on where you are at so that we can best advise you.

SMF

I'm in Elk Grove Village just West of O'Hare airport. It sounds like I'll have difficulties monitoring any non-encrypted phase I Police and Fire because of my location. Would you agree?
Thanks for all the input.

RBMTS

Yes, you are in the heart of simulcast central. Many sites. The XT will have great difficulty tracking it. Also there is a lot of Phase II talk group activity which can't be tracked by the XT. You may have seen this already but many of the PD's in your area operated on encrypted talk groups - meaning that no scanner will be able to listen to them.

Sorry but the XT will not be much help to you in that area.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
You could try programming ISP for districts 2, 3 (Chicago) and 15. Northwest Central Dispatch (NWCD) will pose a problem. Elk Grove, Schaumburg a well as most NW and North suburb PDs are encrypted as been mentioned. Fire and EMS may be copy-able although they may be in P2. Program it in and see what you get. You have nothing to lose.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,
Thank you in advance.
I know that the entire Cook county Sheriff's moved to all encrypton years ago. I'm not sure if you are in Crooked county (I meant Cook county) in Elk Grove. On the other hand, the Chiocago PD is just non-stiop traffic. I had to scan Chicago PD alone cuz you never moved off their radio traffic. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.