• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Would someone please explain this to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingwolf

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/08/08/maupin.html

Ok this guy went missing in action over 2 years ago.

When he went over there he was a PFC, when he was missing he was a PFC, since then he has been promoted 3 times, From PFC, to SPC, form SPC to SGT now from SGT to SSGT.

How in (insert deity of choice here) name is a man who has been missing for over 2 years, obviously not active duty, getting a promotion.

Hell by the standards he is going I would have made Gunny by now. And I'm still around.

I feel bad for his folks, I really do, they lost a son, but then again so have hundreds of thousands of other families, and I don't see yellow ribbons for them or pictures of their kids in plastic hanging up everywhere.

I live in Cleremont county, about 5 minutes from the boys house, I went to school with him, we knew each other, he always wanted to be in the Marine Corps, but instead went into the Army.

Now while I feel for the boy, and his parents, it doesn't make sense to keep promoting a person they way they are promoting him.
Promotions are given for excellence in duty and knowledge gained, not for being captured by the enemy.

The first thought that came to my mind was this, If his family is still getting his money, then this is a windfall for them, you see, the day he went missing, they both quit their hobs and now live off the support of the community.

They have done allot of good, don't get me wrong, but they should have to work like the rest of us.

Maybe I an just a bit sore about all of this, I fought for my country, I don't get any benefits, no medical, no dental, no everlasting promotions, all I got was a letter saying thanks, a few scars (many emotional scars) and some bullet fragments in my shoulder that will slowly leak lead into my body for the rest of my life. Now tell me, am i any less deserving?

What about the families of the people who have been beheaded? Shouldn't they be getting something too?

Oh wait there re no "yellow ribbon comities" for them.

I had better stop now before I go on for ages, but damn this just eats me up.

RESCUE4NFD

Somebody Explain

I was in Southeast Asia in 1967/68 with the "Big Red 1" as a medic,and after seeing the way Uncle Sam and the people in power in D.C. think,I can say It Doesn't surprize me,he'll make General in 5 years.......................I just hope he makes it HOME

KT4HX

I am not in the military, but do work for the Fed Govt. Some agencies give promotions at regular intervals based on time in grade and not solely on performance. I'm assuming that the military has not made a move in that direction though. Nonetheless, the rapidity with which his grade has increased is amazing. Could it have anything to do with them trying to compensate his family monetarily by elevating his grade, based on the fact that the military may view his likelyhood of survival minimal? Would there be a precedent for such an action?

The bottom line is we all hope he returns one day, but the outlook isn't good.

Status
Not open for further replies.