Would this work better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDelta10

I've got an issue in my area with CQPSK modulation. I have an Uniden BCD396T which works somewhat well with that problem. ( It works a heck of a lot better than my old Radio Shack Pro-96, which came across horrible here). I was wondering if I were to upgrade and get a BCD996T, the mobile version, if the reception would come across better in terms of not having the occasional skipping and missed transmissions of the 396T? I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect but still anything leading to better reception is a step in the right direction.

Also, I didn't know whether to place this in the GRE forum or here but for anyone who knows about these which would you consider to be the better scanner in terms of reception: The Uniden BCD396T or the GRE PSR-500? I'm also considering getting the PSR-500. It's a toss up between that or the Uniden BCD996T.
Thanks guys!

af5rn

Conventional wisdom is that PSR decodes P-25 clearer and more reliably than the BCD. However, the BCD experiences less front-end overload, which is important in urban areas, and even many suburban areas. If you are in a large metropolitan area (it would really help us to help you if you told us where you are), where there are a lot of trunking systems to monitor, the BCD has more memory space for them than the PSR. That's pretty much the major considerations between the two.

af5rn

Adjacent channel interference. All that static and garble you get that is not a transmission from the channel you are trying to listen to. Many times, it is stronger than the system you are trying to listen to, preventing you from monitoring it. CBers call it "bleedover".

af5rn

I use both, and I have noticed no real difference in performance between the two. I personally find the 396 easier to operate than the 996, ergonomically speaking. But unless you have a need for something you can carry around in your hand, I would say that you're always better off with the 996. Sturdier, with an easier to read display and better sound.

mancow

Database Admin
The 996 with newest firmware does pretty well.

As for the GRE stuff, they will dig a signal out of anything. I'm trying to make a back to back spectra repeater right now and rough signals that the 396/996 and XTS2500 can't decode are decoded perfectly with the 2096 and PSR500 every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.