would would I miss without digital (London)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I realize this might have been covers before, but I may have missed/forgotten, or just have too much of a headache caused by my car this week..

What would I bee missing out on without getting a digital scanner in London Ontario?
I know London PD is encrypted, so I know that out.. anything else really need it?

Right now I'm debating the Uniden BCT15 BTC15X and GRE PSR-400, perhaps would even consider the BTC8 to save on money (due to the 4 wheeled money sucked mentioned above)

and I plan on the computer hook up too. ..is it just for fast programming them, or can you actually operate them via PC also?

OK, I apologize if anything above makes no or limited sense/ or repeated. I'm just driving myself crazy figuring it out.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
You can operate the scanner completely with software. Programming and on screen "pushing buttons" all with the click of your mouse.

OPP is the only thing that comes to mind quick that you can't hear without digital. Check the database for anything with P25/APCO25, that is the only type of digital the scanner will do.

This is screen shot of program that you can have on a second computer that enables you to listen to and control the scanner that is hooked up to the "parent" version of the program on your "main" computer. I did not have the scanner streaming at the time but you will see an enlarged version of the display in the greenish box.

You can do everything the scanner is capable of from any of three places. The scanner, computer 1, or computer 2.

Attachments

• WIN500.jpg
    WIN500.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
You can operate the scanner completely with software. Programming and on screen "pushing buttons" all with the click of your mouse.

OPP is the only thing that comes to mind quick that you can't hear without digital. Check the database for anything with P25/APCO25, that is the only type of digital the scanner will do.

This is screen shot of program that you can have on a second computer that enables you to listen to and control the scanner that is hooked up to the "parent" version of the program on your "main" computer. I did not have the scanner streaming at the time but you will see an enlarged version of the display in the greenish box.

You can do everything the scanner is capable of from any of three places. The scanner, computer 1, or computer 2.

You will not be able to hear the MTO Enforcement vehicles nor will you be able to hear MNR as well.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
ok, thanks... I can live without OPP, and never had any real interest in MOT or MNR..

I'm probably going to go with the Uniden since it comes with the computer cable to start with and from what I've seen the GRE don't and they get over loaded by strong signals, I have a old Pro-2021 and pagers seem to be a big source of bleed/noise/annoyance, so I'm guessing the Uniden models are better at handling that.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Not necessarily true, my Uniden 396 T gets hammered and overloaded by cell phone towers and pager towers in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.