Would you choose an Icom R70 or Lowe HF150 for tough signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modrachlan

I'm looking to add a classic receiver to my rack to help flush out weak signals. I can only spend about $300, and my top contenders at the moment are the Lowe HF150 and Icom R70. Does anyone have experience with hard to flush out signals and one of the receivers?

I have a wellbrook loop and a random longwire. Antenna won't be the weak link.

Thanks for any advice.

modrachlan

Well, i've tried four SDRs so far- a cheap dongle (rtl2832u), a Soft66, the DXPatrol and the Ten-Tec R320. The only one I could recommend to someone is the R320, which I think is a great radio. The rest have been (so far) a waste of time and money for HF reception.

Plus, I have a self-imposed $300 limit. that's why I'm looking at older RX, I want something with excellent sensitivity and selectivity on a budget.

w2xq

Mentor
I have owned an HF-150 and an R75. Clearly the ICOM is a better DXing receiver, but you absolutely cannot top the Lowe for audio quality for program listening. if nothing else, the former has more filter options. Grab the PDF from the page http://w2xq.com/bm-radio.html for my comments on radios I've owned (too much to post here). HTH.

Last edited:

modrachlan

Hm, thanks for your input, Tom. I certainly respect your opinion!

The HF-150 is still pretty respectable for DX, I hope? Reviews seem to indicate it's very good with a loop.
Never mind, I read your review. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

Go with the Icom R70!

Had mine for years and regret selling it. Admittedly it has it's faults like any other product, but I liked the notch and pass band tuning, really nice for eliminating some interference. The R70 also has individual RF tuning stages for each band range, that was a nice feature not found in lower cost receivers. I cannot speak for the Lowe as I have not enjoyed the pleasure of using one.

I currently use a Icom R71 and sent it in for service to Hal at LandAirComm in New York. Nothing was wrong with the radio, but I felt due to it's age it was time to get it on the bench and go over it. I am amazed at the performance of it! Hal's good but he ain't cheap!

A quick tip on the Icom's and most certainly applies to many other receivers-This radio is designed for a large antenna, a long wire will work fine but I would not expect significant DX with a short wire. I am using a inverted Vee maybe 20 feel AGL. I am limited by property and overhead AC lines.

Best of luck to you and good DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.