Would you classify this guy as "out there"?

slicerwizard

I believe that to be the case when you are dealing with one specific range of frequencies in a high quality, over-engineered public safety radio, but I'd be a little more concerned with a wide coverage receiver built to much looser tolerances. I've had 12v USB adapters wreak havoc on my 436 from 3-4 feet away, and cellphone interference as well...
You're just being silly. Uniden wouldn't design or build the Bluetooth transceiver, so it wouldn't shart all over the bands. Your cheap 12V to 5V adapter? Well of course its chopper circuit is ralphing all over your radio.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I believe that to be the case when you are dealing with one specific range of frequencies in a high quality, over-engineered public safety radio, but I'd be a little more concerned with a wide coverage receiver built to much looser tolerances. I've had 12v USB adapters wreak havoc on my 436 from 3-4 feet away, and cellphone interference as well...
The IC-R30 has bluetooth built in. While not technically a "scanner," it is proof that it can be done in a consumer grade receiver.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
How about a cell phone with a scanner app !

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
HA! Yeah, I remember when I was younger anyone walking around talking to no one in particular, (usually themselves) was a certifiably crazy person, now days we just assume they are a normal person talking on a cellphone with a Bluetooth earpiece.
From 1996

Thanks
Joeldt941012dhc0.gif

btt

Banned
Banned
There are a lot of radios that have much more sensitive receivers in them that not only run Bluetooth, but also WiFi and LTE. They all work just fine.
You are correct. Filtering Bluetooth transmissions in a sub-GHz receiver is really not that difficult. The P25 / P25RX-II both have integrated Bluetooth. There are zero issues with reception of P25, etc.

empireco

In the late 80's I went to Kings Island and took my pro 34 in a fannypack and had the earphone cord come out concealed behind and wrapped around a Walkman strapped on my belt and overlapping the edge of the pack. Whenever security would walk by I'd act like I was jammin' to some music.

I just wanted to innocently listen to all the cool stuff and not get hassled over my scanner. I wasn't sure about Ohio's laws or Kings Island's rules at that time and I didn't have to worry 'cause it worked and no one was the wiser. Had a ball!

tgray

Premium Subscriber

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
It has been mentioned several times, that you can already do this with a Unication scanner/pager. I have done it with my Unication G4.

But posters here still insisting it doesn't exist yet?

Reading is fundamental?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Ok, I'll play along....

Many, many, many years ago I took my Bearcat BC-100 to a Texas Jam (yeah, I'm old) in the Astrodome. About 30 minutes before it started I found myself surrounded by about 6 or 7 security people. They asked what it was, I explained what it was and they were surprised I got through the security screening with it. But this was the early 80's and security was looking for guns and recording equipment and that's about it. They left me alone after that.

a417

Ok, I'll play along....
Thank you for playing, @KevinC!

Years ago, I purchased a Bluetooth transmitter that connects to any standard 1/8 inch headphone jack to simulate a similar setup. I don't have the model I used, but here is something that might work:
Was it something like this? I love this little guy (Made by Avantree), it can play both sides of the fence and lasts a fair while. USB Drive for reference.
20220812_175211.jpg

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
It has been mentioned several times, that you can already do this with a Unication scanner/pager. I have done it with my Unication G4.

But posters here still insisting it doesn't exist yet?

Reading is fundamental?

A Unication pager isn't really a scanner, though.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Surveillance scanners exist. Good luck getting access to one of the catalogs that sell that kind of stuff though. I've never seen any in the commercial market, and I am old enough to remember what a 'dribble antenna' is lol

Far as interference, nothing, not even cheap LED lighting will ever be any worse than Nextel was. Wow that got into everything