Would you purchase a new Uniden Scannner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
No. I'd purchase two. Which is what I did. New 436 and a used 536 that someone on the forum made me a great deal on.

I'm very happy with both, but slightly happier with the 436. That's related to display issues (size) of the 536 and when Uniden gets their WiFi and Siren issues sorted out, I expect to use that to resolve those.

garys

Premium Subscriber
You'll like also wait UNTIL they come out, but that's a different story. ;)

Next on my list will be one of the new whistlers but i will wait for a while once they come out.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I have both the 436 and 536. I listen to both everyday and am very happy with them. I would buy again. I just hope they get the smartphone app working soon. That would be a bonus.

dmg1969

Yes, but I would wait for a while until bugs are found and worked out. Do the x36 scanners have some issues? Sure. But that doesn't mean Uniden is a bad company. They are actively working on them and that's all you can ask. That's why I do not run out to get the latest and greatest of anything.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I would purchase a x96XT or a Home Patrol in a heartbeat. The x36HP line has been such a failure with vaporware that can't seem to be completed and features that are advertised but not there (Analyze function) that I have no faith in the particular model and will not buy one until they have EVERYTHING working correctly.

glennwsb

I bought a 536 in February. It is far and away the best scanner I have ever owned.
Reception, sound quality, ease of programming... (I was already used to Sentinel
from my HP1). Like every scanner I have ever bought there is a learning curve
but I personally don't understand all the wanking on RR about this Scanner.
And when they Wi-Fi is finally up.... it will be like having a new toy all over again!
If I used a hand held more I would buy a 436.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I would purchase a x96XT or a Home Patrol in a heartbeat. The x36HP line has been such a failure with vaporware that can't seem to be completed and features that are advertised but not there (Analyze function) that I have no faith in the particular model and will not buy one until they have EVERYTHING working correctly.

I haven't felt a gaping hole in usability with the missing software so far. I would like to see the WiFi working for the reasons I've mentioned. I think that the biggest flaw in the 536 is the crowded screen real estate. I'd be really happy if there was a firmware revision that allowed users more configurability as to what we see and where. Even at that, I can live with the display.

I have faith that Uniden will get the missing features added as soon as possible.

mikeshepard

ABSOLUTELY NOT

My UNIDEN 436 does a horrible job of decoding the San Diego County 800 digital system...worse in fact than my older UNIDEN scanners, and is a hands-down loser to my PSR 800. Now, that's just my experience on this system. As UPMAN suggests, your mileage may vary, But my mileage SUCKS.

scannersnstuff

i am not uniden bashing. as i've said dozens of times before, i own more unidens than any other scanner.i've been fence sitting on the bcd436hp for over a year. 2 things stop me from buying it right now.

1.limited discretionary income right now. in november, i'll get my holiday pay. i probably could use that for the scanner.

2. the bad reviews rival the good reviews. with my primary listening target being vhf-hi, i'll have to reevaluate the radio then. saw one in person,but didn't get to play long.

SCPD

QRT
I understand that there will all ways be positive and negative reviews on any product. The" BIG" issue is will these two new flagship scanners do what they were advertised to do? How much longer before they do ? What happens if they don't, will you feel ok for paying for them then ? Or will you feel you got ripped off, or no problem, it works fine just the way it is, I don't care about the other stuff anyways.

AC2OY

With my 536 the more I tweak it or fine tune thing the better I get to work. It is a very good scanner and for me the P25 Phase 2 it picks very well. To be honist K2ool gave me tons of tips adjusting stuff so I'm getting it to operate more efficiently.

FirstClass

Have a BCD536HP, wanted a 436 which was not available at the time. Read this thread. Picked up the 436 yesterday. Putting faith in Uniden to get all the features active. So that is a yes. Unless the non-functioning features are critical to you.

joeuser

The Wretched
&if those features were critical to you, you should have either held off or bought it & waited for as long as it takes without freaking out about it. Not directed at anyone specifically but in general. As for me, I held off. Love the 436 I have, I do not have any issues with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.