Would you purchase a new Uniden Scannner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subliminal87

i am going to start out with a 996xt I think. Figure out what my county plans to do with encryption. I don't want to spend $500+ and it become a paperweight. I do like the grab and go factor of the 436 and every where I go it's phase 2 currently. My county is going phase 1. I do REALLY like the 536 though. If by income tax time, if wifi is there I'll just pick that up instead of the 436 instantly. Maybe it will be cheaper too. Bearcat warehouse has it for $589 currently.

safetyobc

I think Uniden is offering their best scanners ever. The BCD436/536 are awesome. The HP-1 is also very nice. The BC125AT is one of my favorite basic scanners. So yes, I would and have bought Uniden scanners.

woodpecker

I would have bought a 536 purely for the siren wifi control, it looks like this may never happen so I will probably never buy one, especially since I now have wifi control of my HP1 using a raspberry pi.

The only thing that would change my mind is if they added DMR and NXDN/IDAS but I doubt that will ever happen.

No P25 here, cheaper to buy a 8 inch windows tablet and USB TV dongle with DSD which will decode everything (that is decodable) here.

markspoo

Premium Subscriber
I have been researching the posts lookin if the purchase of the 436 is worth it. I think one of the key things you are missing is people want a radio that Motorola sells for $6500.00 for $500.00. There is no way that you afe going to get every function of each radio company in 1 radio. WELCOME TO REALITY!!!! Did Uniden drop the ball and shoot themselves in the foot with the promises of an app on the 536 and it never came to be. Hell yes but get over it.
If you want a radio that does everything get a Moto, a Harris, and what ever other proprietary radio with the proprietary encryption and your done. If not make do with what you can afford.

OK I am done.
AlsoI ordered a 436 this morning.

Mark

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I have been researching the posts lookin if the purchase of the 436 is worth it. I think one of the key things you are missing is people want a radio that Motorola sells for $6500.00 for $500.00. There is no way that you afe going to get every function of each radio company in 1 radio. WELCOME TO REALITY!!!! Did Uniden drop the ball and shoot themselves in the foot with the promises of an app on the 536 and it never came to be. Hell yes but get over it.
If you want a radio that does everything get a Moto, a Harris, and what ever other proprietary radio with the proprietary encryption and your done. If not make do with what you can afford.

OK I am done.
AlsoI ordered a 436 this morning.

Mark

Some of us wanted a radio that received as well if not better on VHF and UHF analog than the 396xt. Not much to ask for $500. I can't speak for everyone with complaints, but I bought the 436 because I liked the 396xt. I thought I would be getting a 396xt and Home Patrol combination radio. You know, best of both worlds. What I got was a radio with less sensitivity on analog VHF and UHF than what I already had.

I guess my point is that not everyone wanted a $6500 radio for $500.

I can't complain too much though. The 436 is excellent on digital. So for that portion of the radio I am happy as a clam.

Have fun with your new 436.

jdobbs2001

I am gonna wait till they release the new scanners that offer Wifi and siren featureset.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I sure want to get the 536

I'm looking for an additional/updated base unit to go with my 996xt, but I just don't have the confidence yet to get that new uniden.

I really could care less about the wifi/app nonsense, though I do understand and would expect to be getting what is offered and being paid for.

I'm concerned about the actual performance. It seems to be an issue. I just don't feel comfortable handing over that kind of money for something that might not be worth it/up to snuff at this point.

joeuser

The Wretched
I have the BCD436HP & I'm stopping at that. The 536 appears to be going the iPhone app route which will lead to Android, one would think. I'm a Windows Phone user & will likely always be a WP user. I won't support products that don't support my platform. Granted I have Android products, in fact I'm typing this out on my trusty Motorola Xoom & I have my wife's old RAZR but none of these are on a network other than my own.

I think the performance the 436 is fine. However, I get new units to do the new things, it seems like others get new units to do everything. Everything has its strong point. VHF is starting to go out of style / obsolete, why one would expect a unit to be awesome here is beyond me. I'd rather it be awesome on the trunking & mine sure keeps me happy. I have plenty of VHF receivers & I didn't buy my 436 to be another one. Not to mention I have both the 396T & XT anyway.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for an additional/updated base unit to go with my 996xt, but I just don't have the confidence yet to get that new uniden.

I really could care less about the wifi/app nonsense, though I do understand and would expect to be getting what is offered and being paid for.

I'm concerned about the actual performance. It seems to be an issue. I just don't feel comfortable handing over that kind of money for something that might not be worth it/up to snuff at this point.

I have both the 436 and the 536, and a 996XT at home. I am very happy with my 436 and 536, as both have performed flawlessly on my trips to Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. They work quite well on Phase 2 systems (NJICS in Jersey and Rockland County, NY). Truthfully, I could care less about the siren app, because I bought these for Phase 2. Think about one of them.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
And I see you live in Central New York. Drove the Southern Tier and it decoded nicely, as well as decoding the system up by Oswego.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
And I see you live in Central New York. Drove the Southern Tier and it decoded nicely, as well as decoding the system up by Oswego.

Yes, N2MWE, all of the other unidens and gre's I have work about as well as can be expected all over CNY and beyond.

I have my 996xt dedicated for my local digital trunked system and it does the job just fine. I'm looking to replace my old pro 2040 so as to have a better/newer version of radio for non-trunked/digital, and distant systems to accompany it.

Status
Not open for further replies.