• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxon Radios From Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever purchased one of these?
http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=103954
They are becoming very popular around the US and are unbelievably inexpensive. I saw one that a Ham club member has and it looked pretty cool. It comes with EVERYTHING you would need for dirt cheap. I know it will never beat an Icom or Yaesu in quality, but then again, you are not paying the high prices either. The audio is loud. Louder than my VX-7R. It comes already opened up. ( 136-174 / 400-480 Mhz. TX ) I ordered one just for kicks. ($121.96 shipped) Just curious if anyone on here has one and what they thought of them.

Manny

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
From China, not Japan. I have one of the UHF models (KG-689), and a friend bought the dual-bander. Not Icom, but amazingly high quality construction, good receiver sensitivity and intermod rejection. Very serious radio.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A dealer here has several of the TG-UV's with the Andy Holzberg tag on them. They are sort of like a ham dual band talkie,morphed with a commercial talkie. Interesting to say the least,although some hams have mixed reviews.
n9zas

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The KG-UVD1P model appears to be type accepted now (WVTWOUXUN04) for part 90 136-174 and 406-470. But it's not clear to me if that's just one bandsplit model (there are several models on the Wouxun page), or are all of the sub models all type accepted for those bands, If it's just one particular submodel...I'd like to know how to tell that one apart.

I'd also like to know if dealers in the USA is selling them...all I see are sellers in China and Hong Kong.

Wouxun

I have the dual band 144/440,its receive audio is LOUD ,it works decent,the fm broadcast audio is terrible,it has an oddball antenna connector,and you need to input the input and output frequencies to use it on a repeater.I'd say its fair.Got mine for $92 on ebay.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
From China, not Japan.
You're correct! That is where they are made. I said Japan because the dealer I am getting mine from is IN Japan. Either way, I can't wait to get mine. I have very reasonable expectations. I have other commercial and Ham portables so this is not going to be my main unit. I keep saying it over and over, for the price and everything included, you just cannot beat these radios. Even if just for giggles. When I get mine, I will take some high resolution shots with my Nikon D90 and post them on here for all of you to see up close.

Manny

Squad10

Holzberg 470-490 mHz morph??

A dealer here has several of the TG-UV's with the Andy Holzberg tag on them. They are sort of like a ham dual band talkie,morphed with a commercial talkie. Interesting to say the least,although some hams have mixed reviews.
n9zas

The Holzberg Communications, Inc. Model DB-ANDY http://www.holzberg.com/downloads/dualband.pdf
dual band handheld portable radio looks (to me) identical to the Quanzhou Woxun Electronics Co., LTD TG-UV QUANSHENG CO., LTD.

The Holzberg DB-ANDY has been issued FCC ID Q9FDB-ANDY for 136–174 and 406.1–470.0

The Holzberg DB-ANDY pdf document states Frequency range:

FM(Receive): 88-108MHz
VHF: 136-173.995MHz
UHF1(Receive): 350-389.995MHz
UHF2: 420-490MHz
UHF3(Receive): 470-519.995MHz

On the Holzberg document, DB-ANDY (FM, UHF1, and UHF3) bands are clearly marked Receive. The VHF 136-173.995 and UHF2 420-490 are not marked Transmit or Receive.

What is interesting is that UHF2 indicates 420- 490 when FCC EAS indicates the upper frequency of 470.0

I believe a 470-490 licensee could assume the DB-ANDY be FCC certified to transmit in this range when it is not, or is it?

Comments?

Last edited:

mikepdx

I know a local ham who's very happy with one of these Chinese knock-offs.

He bought the dual band 2 meter / 1 1/4 meter model.

The Holzberg Communications, Inc. Model DB-ANDY
dual band handheld portable radio looks (to me) identical to the Quanzhou Woxun Electronics Co., LTD TG-UV
Comments?

it's a GEC-UV800
Before Holzberg photoshopped their name over it on their brochure, that model number was readable on the unit.
Another dealer has it here $86 cheaper:
http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/dubaprpovhft.html

GCE doesn't make the UV800 anymore, there's now a UV860
http://www.gecomm.com.cn/EnProductShow.asp?ID=71

Previous RR thread on the "DB-ANDY" here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/in...-new-commercial-dual-band-portable-radio.html

Last edited:

lmrtek

A new version of the dual bander is now LEGALLY on sale in this country.

Only radios with a FCC ID number are allowed to be sold or used in this country.

Remember that every dollar you spend on Chinese goods buys a full clip of AK-47 ammo to kill AMERICAN soldiers in Afghanistan!

SEMPER FI!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A new version of the dual bander is now LEGALLY on sale in this country.

Only radios with a FCC ID number are allowed to be sold or used in this country.

Remember that every dollar you spend on Chinese goods buys a full clip of AK-47 ammo to kill AMERICAN soldiers in Afghanistan!

SEMPER FI!
I know this is off topic, You're right,but this is why s.o.p. dictates that you ALWAYS wear your vest in the field! Unless they're using 7.62mm in the ak's they will live if hit,but it will hurt like hell!
Booyahh! :cool:

n9zas

GrumpyGuard

Kg-uvp1

I have had mine since November 2009. I love this little radio. It is not a true dual band radio as it only has one vfo. It is very well constructed, the programing software is in need of an upgrade, other than that I am very happy with mine.

The only problem that I had was I blew the fuse in the vehicle charge cord. Don't have the cord plugged into the 12v socket and then place the radio in the holder/charger, as this will blow the fuse in the 12v adapter.

The battery as a long life compared to my other hand held radio's. I have been able to hit repeaters some 25 miles away with out any problem. The antenna is an SMA connector (male) similar to those found on Motorola MTS 2000 radios.

This radio has quality construction at a fair price.

As with any other radio your mileage may vary.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Bought mine from Radioshop888 KG-UVD1P VX-8R VX-3R VX-7R VX-170 KG-699E KG-669 KG-689 PX-777 PX-888 FT-897 FT-857 VX-177 VXA-300 KG-679 VEV-3288S V-1000 TG-UV FT-817ND FT-60R FT-897 FT-857 VX-7R VX-7RB VX-6R VX-3R FT-1802M FT-8800R VX-170 FT-8900R FT-2800M FT-7800R P have done a lot of business with the guy so far too, always 100%.

Very happy with the KG-UVD1P. has it's quirks, but functionally and construction quality, you can't go wrong for the cash.

Wrote this up.

Programming the Wouxun KG-UVD1P - KINGSQUEAK.ORG & KC2RGW.COM

Bought the 'heavy duty' most expensive speaker mic they had for it, very solid, very loud and nice audio too.

Got the 1700mAh extended battery, also works well.

Software is free

Get the reverse SMA adapter to BNC and the programming cable.

Much easier to program with the software. The USB chip they use in their USB cable is a pirated version of a Prolific chip, so getting the driver to play nicely is a bit tedious, particularly if you have a bunch of 'real' Prolific chip based adapters installed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.