• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-1000M MURS Base/Mobile Two Way Radio

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
had no idea this existed. At first I though what a great idea, I should get one for the house and the SUV. It has a ton of features and good reviews. However like all MURS radios range (1-2 miles) is severely limited to make it really practical and useful. Why do I still want one?

Wouxun KG-1000M MURS Base/Mobile Two Way Radio

I

1677185587338.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's a LOT of money for what is essentially a hobbled radio.

But, a good LEGAL option for those that want to run base or mobile MURS.

The big advantage I see is the ability to run an external antenna. Getting a quarter wave antenna on top of the vehicle would really let MURS do its thing. Same for base use, a good antenna and 2 watts would be a good license free/license by rule alternative for many.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That's a LOT of money for what is essentially a hobbled radio.

But, a good LEGAL option for those that want to run base or mobile MURS.

The big advantage I see is the ability to run an external antenna. Getting a quarter wave antenna on top of the vehicle would really let MURS do its thing. Same for base use, a good antenna and 2 watts would be a good license free/license by rule alternative for many.

Realistically, with a good hi-gain base antenna mounted about 30 feet off the ground and a good NMO mounted antenna in the center of the roof of my SUV, what kind of range could I expect in the typical suburban area with no tall obstructions?

FKimble

Pick up a used VHF Kenwood for less! More power. Probably much better radio. Can also be used for 2m ham and NOAA weather.

Frank

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If you're referring to 95.367, there are no type accepted MURS radios with selectable power levels available of more than 2W. Not really sure MURS would be the smartest choice in an emergency either.
It was a joke. If I have to say that then I failed. ☹️