• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UV3D 2meter/350-470 Transmit Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirrel911

Estill Springs/Decherd/Winchester/Franklin County
Ok, my wouxun was working perfectly and then all of a sudden it just quite transmitting audio. I can key up and open up the repeater but no audio will go through. I can recieve audio just cant transmit audio. Even with or without my shoulder mic. I called powerwerx.com where i got it from and they told me to send it back to them. I was hoping someone on here can help me with the issue first. Any suggestions??

W2NJS

Send it back. They'll probably give you a replacement radio. If the external microphone doesn't solve the problem than you've got an electronic problem on a circuit board and you don't want to mess with this kind of fault when your unit is under warranty, which I assume it still is.

squirrel911

Send it back. They'll probably give you a replacement radio. If the external microphone doesn't solve the problem than you've got an electronic problem on a circuit board and you don't want to mess with this kind of fault when your unit is under warranty, which I assume it still is.

It is. I talked to them and they said to send it in. They did ask me though if I used the Wouxun Commander software to program it. I asked why and they said that software will somehow fry the circuit board. how is that possible?? I did use that software but I have read nothing but good reviews on it.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
It is. I talked to them and they said to send it in. They did ask me though if I used the Wouxun Commander software to program it. I asked why and they said that software will somehow fry the circuit board. how is that possible?? I did use that software but I have read nothing but good reviews on it.

The problem isn't actually with the software. The problem is when people leave the radio connected to the computer for too long. When connected for too long, heat is transferred via the cable and the radio gets very, very hot. As a result, damage is done to the circuitry. I've seen plenty of complaints and claims of damaged radios from it. It's a design flaw on Wouxun's end.

Last edited:

squirrel911

The problem isn't actually with the software. The problem is when people leave the radio connected to the computer for too long. When connected for too long, heat is transferred via the cable and the radio gets very, very hot. As a result, damage is done to the circuitry. I've seen plenty of complaints and claims of damaged radios from it. It's a design flaw on Wouxun's end.

I only had it pluged in once and that was to program it and it only stayed plugged in for maybe a minute. So I dont think that would be it unless it is that big of a flaw

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I only had it pluged in once and that was to program it and it only stayed plugged in for maybe a minute. So I dont think that would be it unless it is that big of a flaw

No, it would definitely take longer than a moment. About 5-10mins on average. Sounds like you just have a defective radio.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
. . . . When connected for too long, heat is transferred via the cable and the radio gets very, very hot.
In over 40 years in electronics, I have never heard such an outrageous statement, not even from people totally ignorant of electrical/electronics theory.

--
Comint

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
In over 40 years in electronics, I have never heard such an outrageous statement, not even from people totally ignorant of electrical/electronics theory.

--
Comint

Right...probably some dewsign flaw in the USB or serial interface, which ever it uses.

squirrel911

--
Comint

I dont have that much experiance but I must agree with you.

Right...probably some dewsign flaw in the USB or serial interface, which ever it uses.

Mine has never got hot and I have 2 radios and 2 cables.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber

--
Comint

I agree 10,000%. But that's Wouxun's explination. Sorry if it appeared as though I prevented it as fact. Wasn't meant to be. However that's also why I said, "complaints and *claims* of damaged radios from it".

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Let me make a comment here.

I think that there may be a bit of a language barrier thing going on here. I think that the Wouxun folks may have a hard time explaining why the heat is being generated; although, I can certainly understand how it could be done, so they said it is transferred by the cable.

And I guess technically that is correct, and before someone thinks I have gone around the corner in my old age, stop and think for a moment what voltages appear on a RS232 signal path. Nominally both a -12v and a +12v appear on on the port. A bad design of either (or both) the port on the radio and the software can cause those voltages to be constantly pulled (assuming the computer doesn't crash the driver). For short periods, that shouldn't cause problems, but based on my limited experience with SMD it doesn't take much heat to start causing havoc. Ah, for the good old days of wire components inside electronics. Oh wait, that was when stuff was expensive...never mind.

ETA: Well, someone sent me a message pointing out that the Wouxun cable incorporates a level converter to change the RS232 voltages to TTL voltages (~ +5v/0). I don't own one of these radios and really don't have a dog in this fight but I figured that I would pass on the information. Interestingly enough this would lead me to believe that the cable has a MAX232 type chip in it and if designed correctly should work. However, just something in the way the information was passed on makes me wonder if they designed this as a single ended TTL interface as opposed to a differential TTL interface. Without getting into the technical aspects, a single ended TTL requires current to be returned on the ground connection which has proven in the past to allow other common ground connected components to be affected. In any case the above is for consideration and information of those that might be interested.

Last edited:

OCO

And I was just going to suggest wrapping the cable around an ice cube, while designing fan cooled heat sinks for it.... Possibly the engineers were using Google Translate?? :D

SCPD

QRT
Sounds a bit plausible. My 1p's speaker crapped out on me. Now, I am only able to hear audio through a speakermic.
:/

Still an awesomely cheap radio.

rdugger

--
Comint

It doesn't sound right and maybe what he meant was that something in the HT gets hot while it is connected, but I agree the heat certainly isn't conducted down the cable.

Hopefully just a bad choice of words.

Status
Not open for further replies.