• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UV6 Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
Can anyone please confirm that the scan on the 6 acts the same as the 1D? I have a 1D and if there is a signal is received with a wrong pl, the radio does not resume scanning. It stays on that channel until the off pl traffic is gone. I would like to upgrade to a 6 but won't if this issue still exists.

Thanks!

LtDoc

What 'scan mode' are you using, 'search', 'time', or 'carrier'? None of them are dependent on the CTCSS or PL tones. The 'carrier' dependent mode stays on a particular channel till the carrier is gone, the 'time' mode stays for a predetermined time only, doesn't matter if a station is still transmitting or not. When that time period expires it moves to the next channel.
I don't have a '1P' model so can't say about that one. I do have a '2d' model, and it works the same way. Going by the software, they all seem to work the same.
- 'Doc

(If you don't have a need for the 2.5 step frequency ability, there's no significant difference in the 'UG-6' HTs and the other models. Suit your self.)

Last edited:

KC2JS

Feed Provider
I use carrier mode. The issue is if there is a carrier with a different pl or static from a computer the radio will not scan.

nd5y

Did they fix the backlight issue on the 6D?
On the 1P and 2D if you are lucky enough to be able to scan channels with no other carriers/noise the backlight remains on while scanning, shuts off when it stops on an active channel, and comes back on when scan resumes.

jjmorris7

I have a 6D and the backlight is still an issue while in scan. I have looked at all the settings and cannot find a way around that. Also, my scan is setup to stop on carrier, PL doesn't matter.

LtDoc

K2JJS,
It has nothing to do with there being a tone of any kind, PL or CTCSS. The carrier, or received signal is what's stopping the scan when in the 'carrier' mode. One way to 'cure' that is to determine the source of that carrier/signal and eliminate it. The other way is to change the carrier scan to a 'time' scan mode. Not a very likable solution in either method, but that's about it. That carrier or signal would stop any carrier operated scan no matter what radio used, so the 'best' way of 'curing' it is to stop the carrier/signal. That's not a very likely thing to happen either. Take you pick...
The only way to eliminate the back lighting when scanning that I've been able to find is to turn the back light off. Then, reprogram the 'FM radio' button to turn the back light on when pressed. Basically a back light only on demand. The 'catch' to that is that scanning or transmitting will turn that back light off. Guess it just amounts to which inconvenience you want, huh?
I honestly doubt if a 'firmware' up-date is possible with these HT's, so even if the factory did the programming change to suit the USA users, it'd probably mean additional cost to do the up-grading to existing radios. I can't say I'm thrilled with the back lighting, but I can live with it.
- 'Doc

KC2JS

Feed Provider
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I won't be upgrading to a 6. I understand that carrier mode would stop on any frequency it has a carrier, but I own multiple amateur and commercial/public safety radios and they don't operate this way. So it comes down to...you get what you pay for!

Thanks Again!

LtDoc

Now you've got me curious. How do those other radios "don't operate this way"? I have to be missing something about what you're saying.
- 'Doc

KC2JS

Feed Provider
If you watch the radio while it is scanning, it will stop on any frequency that it has a carrier on (even if it is a different pl). The radio will not resume scanning till that carrier is lost. On all my other radios, if the pl isn't a match it resumes scanning. So if you have a frequency in your scan list with a lot of off pl traffic (another repeater you may not want to listen to) scan doesn't work. It will stay on that frequency muted until the carrier is lost.

Hope that clears it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.